Envelope toning

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by scott490, Feb 17, 2012.

1. scott490

scott490 Member

I just bought a bunch of coins from an old collector who kept his coins in old paper envelopes and didn't have any of them certified. This preservation method produced coins with crazy blue, scarlet and copper swirls colliding over the surfaces. Like this:

DSCN1186.jpg DSCN1188.jpg

The toning is even more dramatic than this pic indicates. Now my question is this. I would like to have this coin certified, yet recent experience indicates the TPGs will body bag coins with this kind of toning. This makes me consider dipping it yet that seems problematic too. Anyone have any thoughts on the best course of action?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cman

cman Junior Member

I cant help you with the TPGs but something about that toning makes me fall in love with it. I think i would cry if it lost that. lol

4. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

It would seem to me that a coin with beautiful toning like what you have should belong in a slab. Since I don't deal too much in TPG's, I don't know what line they draw when it comes to forced AT and natural toning. I think envelope toning is natural enough that you shouldn't get docked. But I will concede to the grading experts.

Two Dogs likes this.
  5. lkeigwin

lkeigwin Well-Known Member

Don't dip anything. Very many naturally colorful coins are certified by the TPG's every day. The noise we hear is made by owners of coins declared AT.

While grading is not a science the TPG's do have standards and ways to judge the progression of colorful toning. If your new coins truly weren't doctored I'll bet your chances of successful grading are pretty high.

Here's a coin ANACS slabbed cleanly and PCGS upgraded recently, for example. I'm sure we could dig up many, many more.
    Lance.

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Keep the coin as is, its pretty the way it is. I don't think envelope or album toning is considered AT. I'm not sure how TPGs grade toned coins either but I'm pretty sure they can tell the difference between AT and NT.

Two Dogs likes this.
  7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yes, wait until the TPG's go through one of their phases where they are not so paranoid about toning. Don't dip. Worse comes to worse here's a radical thought...don't certify them and just enjoy them as they are.

8. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Can I have the envelopes? Seriously, I like envelope toning. My guess is that you had pretty old colored envelopes, that's what I had and it created these:
    1892-o.jpg 1891-o coin.jpg

I had to sacrifice quality on the first one to capture toning, but it is quite dramatic on the second one.

9. lkeigwin

lkeigwin Well-Known Member

One potential worry...and something you can look carefully for, is signs of cleaning. Years ago collectors liked shiny coins. (I remember being asked by a dealer once, as a kid in the '60's, if I wanted my purchase "freshened up".)

Use a loupe, 5-7x, and with good lighting. Rotate the coin and look for hairlines crossing devices.

I like Conder's idea. Keep them raw (except perhaps anything very valuable)? Raw is so much more enjoyable than slabbed, IMO. Save the money and frustration too.
    Lance.

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Coin envelopes were plain manila envelopes, not colored envelopes. You can buy them at almost any hobby store.

But beware using them. They turn far more coins black than they ever do make ones with pretty colors.

11. Cazkaboom

Hmm... The person I got these from had them in blue pink and green envelopes. The beige envelopes had only very slight toning on them

12. GDJMSP

Doesn't surprise me really that they are making them in various colors today. They didn't in the past.

13. Cazkaboom

These were approximately from the mid-70's when they were put in. Never taken out until I looked at their collection and sold some.

14. Danr

Danr Numismatist

that is not AT

15. Danr

Danr Numismatist

16. Coinanthebarbarian

Coinanthebarbarian New Member

Dynoking, John Anthony and Spark1951 like this.
  17. Danr

Danr Numismatist

wow... I will dig those out - give me a few days

John Anthony, Spark1951 and green18 like this.
  18. Danr

Danr Numismatist

btw you sir are a lunatic (in the best way!)

John Anthony, Spark1951 and rte like this.
  19. GDJMSP

A few days ! :jawdrop: :wideyed: Egads ! - you mean we gotta wait that long ? :inpain:

C'mon now Dan, we been waitin 10 years as it is !! :D

Kentucky and Spark1951 like this.
  20. rte

rte Well-Known Member

I've been able to get colored envelopes for 40 years.
    Still have some on the shelves that are 20 years old.

Kentucky and charley like this.
  21. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I think that there was something more goin on with that piece other than just envelope toning. I think that it was dipped or had something else done to and then put back in the envelope still wet.

Skyman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted