Enticing Isis

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by David Atherton, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Broucheion

Broucheion Well-Known Member

Oh, And here's one with the Pharos as well.

upload_2020-9-20_0-43-18.png

- Broucheion

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Many thanks, @Broucheion. ...Yeah, the modern versions look just that little bit more, er, Hellenistic than the coin. Unless I'm making it up1

Broucheion likes this.
  4. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Ah, now that one looks more straightforwardly post-Hellenistic. ...I wonder if the angle of Isis' right leg is the difference. On your other one, it's more nearly vertical. That might have been enough to evoke the earlier precedent. ...Along with an over-active imagination?

Broucheion likes this.
  5. Broucheion

Broucheion Well-Known Member

6. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

SaittaSerapisIsis.jpg
    LYDIA. Saitta. Pseudo-autonomous issue. Æ (18mm, 2.96 gm, 6h). Time of Septimius Seveus to Gallienus. Obv: Draped bust of Serapis right, modius on head. Rev: CAITTHNΩN, Isis standing left, holding sistrum and situla. SNG Cop 394.

7. OutsiderSubtype

OutsiderSubtype Well-Known Member

I just got this one from Forum in the mail today! It is Ex Errett Bishop Collection.

It is the same Hadrian year 17 type as the one @Broucheion posted.

coin-outsider-collection-vnC6yN-stitched-basic-large.jpg
    The photos do not do justice to the details of Isis's hair and the folds of her chiton.

Of course I'm excited about my new purchase, but I think this is a case where centering, eye appeal, and historical romance matter much more than grade.

Edessa, PeteB, Johndakerftw and 6 others like this.
  8. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Wonderful coin! Am I correct to interpret the reverse as depicting Isis standing on the prow of a ship, holding the sail(?), with the wind blowing her clothing?

Edessa and OutsiderSubtype like this.
  9. OutsiderSubtype

OutsiderSubtype Well-Known Member

Yes, you're totally correct. She's holding the sail with both hands and her left foot. She's also holding a sistrum in her right hand but that isn't very clear on mine.

Edessa and DonnaML like this.
  10. Edessa

Edessa Well-Known Member

Egypt. Alexandria. Antoninus Pius. AD 138-161. Æ Drachm. Dated RY 10 (AD 146/7). Obv: ΑVT K T AIΛ AΔP ANTωNЄINOC CЄB ЄVCB; Laureate head right. Rev: Isis Pharia sailing right, holding a sistrum and billowing sail; L ΔЄK-ATOV (date) around. Ref: Köln 1550; Dattari (Savio) 2668; K&G 35.359; Emmett 1590. zzzx.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted