English: Was Charles II Silver Penny Used as Everyday Coinage?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Bart9349, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

I've been studying both the history and coinage of Charles II and Restoration England.

Here's an example of a Charles II silver penny from 1677 (Backwards G Variety):

1677sEo.jpg 1677G error.jpg 1677Gerrorcloseup.jpg

Question: Was this coin originally a Maundy piece? If so, was it commonly used in everyday coinage?

Thanks ahead of time,

guy

spirityoda, Teddydogno1 and chrsmat71 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. wyvern

wyvern Active Member

they were legal tender so could have circulated.sometimes you find worn examples.the types with reverse interlinked c,s are believed to be Maundy,but the small silver coins were included in the trial of the pyx which indicated currency issues---trial of the pyx still happens today just for ceremonial purposes each year a quantity of coinage is examined and passed as good by the lord of the treasury----in time gone by not all the coinage was the correct weight or metal content so something very unpleasant happened to the moneyers

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  4. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

I forgot the reverse:

1677sEr.jpg

5. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

A good day to day account is Pepys Diary, he mentions giving pennies to link boys and sixpences to boatmen and there are many mentions of money, down to a few pence paid for this and that.
    He takes a keen interest in the new machines and designs at the Royal Mint and in the withdrawal of the Commonwealth coinage and its re-coining. There are attempts to calculate the amount of coinage in existence and circulation and the premium for gold coins often crops up, he pays up to eighteen pence in the pound for gold to make his personal hoard more portable. I have read the diaries a couple of times and don't recall any specific answer to your question.

From a practical point of view I can't see much use for such tiny silver pieces,they were valuable enough to matter but way too easy to lose.

I'll have a pint of whatever the grader was drinking when he rated a coin that's VF at best, and somewhat damaged, as AU.

6. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

Thanks, you guys, for your responses.

I agree that Pepys' diary really captures the everyday life of Restoration England...at least from a randy but loyal Royal administrator's perspective.

The silver pennies seem too small and fragile for heavy use. On the other hand, there was nothing like a good farthing:

1675 F.jpg 1675 F (2).jpg

Thank you, again,

guy

J.A.K. likes this.
  7. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

An excellent historical novel about the period of Charles II is Kathleen Winsor's 1944 "Forever Amber".

"My tail's for sale. Half-a-crown will lay me down!"

[​IMG]
    Charles II Half Crown, 1663

:)

J.A.K. likes this.
  8. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

Here's an additional contribution to the Charles II thread:

Charles II Navy.jpg Charles II Navyr.jpg

This medal from 1665 is a little premature. It depicts Charles II as a triumphant Roman general [over the Dutch] watching a naval engagement from the shore.

Unfortunately for England, there was the Dutch raid on the Medway in June 1667:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raid_on_the_Medway

This new movie might touch on the subject. (I'll be waiting for the English translation, of course):

guy

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
    wyvern likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted