English Shilling collectors?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by A Novice, May 6, 2021.

1. Seascape

Seascape U.S. & World Collector

Insanely nice. I like the top left the most....it catches your eye.

A Novice likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. A Novice

A Novice Well-Known Member

Thanks! That one is my favorite, and my first. I received this book yesterday. It has been a tremendous source of information! 02F52B63-9A7D-480E-9749-E712645E6B34.jpeg

4. Antonius Britannia

Antonius Britannia Well-Known Member

Commonwealth Shilling
    S. 3217 0507212059e.jpg 0507212107b.jpg

5. A Novice

Antonius Britannia likes this.
  6. Antonius Britannia

I am lucky. It was a gift from my Dad, many Christmases ago. It is ex Davissons. Circa 2002

A Novice likes this.
  7. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

My oldest shilling

[​IMG]
    Charles I (1625-1649) - shilling
    5th bust, tun (1636-1638)
    Ref : Spink # 2794

Q

8. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

Actually, I've a 1560/1561 undated that I bought from Frank Robinson many years ago. It has a small nick but otherwise is a F or VF. I bought it as a pair with a nice no problems 1594 VI pence also around VF. The pair cost me $40.

I'm sure I never photographed them but will try to do so. The shillings in general are very neat as they're coins that obviously circulated commercially a lot in England.

Antonius Britannia and A Novice like this.
  9. AuldFartte

AuldFartte Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of trying to build a set, by monarch, from 1970 back as far as possible, of Scottish Shillings. You have stoked the fire and I have begun my search! Thank you!

10. A Novice

It really has been a blast. Good luck to you!

AuldFartte likes this.
  11. offa the saxon

offa the saxon Well-Known Member

12. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

A few hammered shillings from my set:
    Edward VI Shilling S2482 1.JPG Edward VI Shilling S2482 2.JPG Elizabeth I Shilling S2577 1.JPG Elizabeth I Shilling S2577 2.JPG Charles I Shilling S2791 1.JPG Charles I Shilling S2791 2.JPG Commonwealth Shilling S3222 1.JPG Commonwealth Shilling S3222 2.JPG

13. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Some more of mine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Q

Chris B, chlorinated, DonnaML and 9 others like this.
  14. A Novice

15. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Ummm, I have spent about 30 years collecting late milled pre-decimal (1839-1970) C2355157-0312-413B-9E61-8949E1DCBE1A_1_201_a.jpeg 7ADA9AA8-1307-4972-BE9E-E60D4B30E595_1_201_a.jpeg and can help with any question (probably). I won't compete but perhaps will show a few if you'd like...

This is a pattern nickel 1924 shilling that didn't photograph well (graded PCGS66)

Mister T, DonnaML, talerman and 6 others like this.
  16. A Novice

I think my favorite reverse on a late milled shilling has to be the veiled head Victoria.

Antonius Britannia likes this.
  17. Antonius Britannia

George I
    South Sea Silver Shilling
    0509210400.jpg 0509210401.jpg

18. offa the saxon

19. offa the saxon

The creme de la creme of english shillings

522CF6F3-FB98-4B2C-91E4-7A0930202EFC.jpeg

20. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Since I collect one or a few coins from each king or queen, with an emphasis on finding a gold piece, shillings are hit and miss with me. I do have a few.

This is the oldest shillingI have, and Edward VI shilling. Edward VI was the son Henry VIII spent most of his adult life trying to have. He was well educated and admired for his intelligence but had a weak body. He died at age 15.

This shilling is fairly common, but they don’t often come this nice. Despite the fact that I had spent the big bucks for an Edward VI gold piece, I couldn’t pass this coin up when I saw it.

Edward VI Shilling All.jpg

Charles II. I have always liked this design with Charles' profile. With his little mustache, he looks like the ladies’ man that he was. He is credited with fathering 16 illegitimate children. The ironic part is that he didn’t have any children with the queen. As a result of that, the crown passed to his brother, James II when Charles II died. That ended in a bloodless coup, “The Glorious Revolution,” which removed James from the throne, but caused problems for England in later years.

Charles II 1663 Shilling.jpg

And here is poor Queen Anne on a shilling. She tried very hard to have an heir, but the closest she got was a 12 year old boy who died. She had numerous miscarriages. Queen Anne was very heavy. By the time she was in her late 30s, she was so heavy that she could barely walk. We now know that heavy women have a difficult time with pregnancy, but that was no known then.

One of the historian – guides I toured with in London claimed that part of Anne’s problem was with the substitute she found for tea … brandy.

Anne 1710 Shilling.jpg

And here is George II on a shilling. George was very interested in military. He was the last British king to lead his troops into battle, the Battle of Dettingen in June 1743, which was during the War of Austrian Seccession.

It was a Hanover tradition that the fathers viewed their sons as fools. George II was no exception. He thought that his son, Fredrick, was a fool from the day he was born. In his youth, Fredrick ran up a lot of debts, including gambling losses, which his father refused to honor. Nevertheless Fredrick was a cultured man who enjoyed sports, literature and the theater, which may have explained why his militaristic father viewed him as a fool.

Fredrick died at age 54 before he became king, which met that the crown skipped a generation. George III was George II's grandson.

George II 1743 Shilling.jpg

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  21. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Here are a couple more.

Here is a 1658 Cromwell shilling. By this time Cromwell was starting to think of himself as a sort of king who might pass his office on to his son. After issuing the Commonwealth coins, which has no portrait on them, Cromwell issued this series of coins.

I almost traded this coin away at one point for a crown, but I could not close the deal with a dealer who probably had too much into his coin.

1658 Cromwell Shilling.jpg

And I know that you were thinking British when you started this string, but there were "shillings across the pond" in America. Here are examples of the Oak Tree, Large Pine Tree and Small Pine Tree shillings.

Oak Tree Shilling 1660 to 1667

Mass Oak Shil All.jpg

Large Pine Tree Shilling 1667 to 1674

Mass Pine Shil N 1 All.jpg

Small Pine Tree Shilling 1674 to 1682

Small Pine Tree Shilling All.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted