English Hammered Coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by HammeredCoin, Aug 28, 2015.

1. HammeredCoin

HammeredCoin Active Member

I thought I would get a thread started to see if anyone else cared to join in a discussion! I am an avid collector and researcher of hammered coins minted from the reign of Henry II to Edward III.

image.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

While this is my area of historical expertise, I've already posted all the coins I have from 12-13th c. England! I hope to add more pieces in the future though...

HammeredCoin and Eng like this.
  4. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Very nice Hammered, what grading company is this coin in???

5. Nap

Nap Well-Known Member

I have a Tealby penny of Henry II but for some reason I forgot to image it. Will have to shoot a pic next time it comes home from the safe box.

For now, my only Plantagenet coin is this one:

[​IMG]

A mixed up flip-over double struck short cross penny, probably of King John, but very difficult to identify. In general, short cross pennies are tricky to identify, as the coins of Henry II, Richard I, John, and Henry III are all inscribed in the name of 'Henry'. There are features that can tell them apart, such as the number of pearls on the crown, or the size and direction of certain letters in the legend. Given the double strike here the legend is hard to read. The moneyer is probably Raul or Rauf of London, unhelpful to identification because this moneyer struck for multiple monarchs.

Double struck coins of this era are not uncommon, but flip-over double strikes are fairly unusual, especially with a quite visible portrait on both sides.

6. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

That is quite different Nap! I like it

7. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

haven't seen one quite like that before nap.

8. HammeredCoin

Thanks. It's actually in a replica slab. I create the labels and buy the slabs from a foreign vendor. They are basically NGC style slabs. I don't do it in order to fool anyone into thinking they are graded but rather a good way for me to hold the coins.

9. HammeredCoin

Tealby coins are quite rare and are a welcome addition to any collection. They are all of very poor quality and are what forced Henry II to generate the voided short cross pennies.

10. HammeredCoin

Exactly! You are spot on saying double struck or "ghosted" coins of this period are quite common. Your coin is a pretty unique example though. I have yet to see an example like this where it is double struck on both obverse and reverse with the opposite die.

I will try to research further but as you said without much legible letters and complete bust it may be hard to pinpoint.

Really cool coin!

stevex6 likes this.
  11. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

So where do you find the NGC style slab? I have been thinking about putting my collection of modern coins in slab holders (some professionally graded), and I like that the 'prongs' of NGC slabs allow you to see some of the edge.

12. tulipone

tulipone Well-Known Member

That is a nice coin - and I didn't know you could buy the slabs 'raw'.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    HammeredCoin likes this.
  13. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Very nice

14. shernan30

shernan30 Hammered Saxon Coins

Nice looking coins. I have a few I'll post tomorrow.

15. HammeredCoin

Yea I like the look of the NGC slabs and with the varying dimension of hammered coins you need that "claw" type of holder to give some flexibility because of the variability in dimensions. I will post a link to show you where I get mine from. eBay has a few sellers but they r a rip off and you can't buy direct from China much cheaper. I create the labels myself.

16. HammeredCoin

Thanks!

17. HammeredCoin

18. HammeredCoin

Here is one that just arrived yesterday. Edward III groat. Not a particularly rare coin per se, but the quality of the strike and the boldness of the strike without wear or clipping is quite rare.

image.jpg image.jpg

19. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

That coin is phat. So big and high grade!

20. HammeredCoin

Thanks. Yea it is large but the quality is what you really like to look for in these groats. Many are very warn on the high points which is almost always the bust. And clipping was a real problem so a full flan is also a nice feature

Ancientnoob likes this.
  21. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

All I have is an undated Tudor Shilling that I wish had more bust.

ElizabethShillingUndated.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted