English Groat Do you have any Info?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by merlin1066, Apr 15, 2009.

1. merlin1066

merlin1066 Senior Member

Can anyone tell me where I can find some good solid info on these coins?
    I have an opportunity to purchace one for 575 he took 150 off the price. I wish I had a photo for you to see. It really is I beauty. Here is the info:

English Groat
    CB1569
    Edward III
    4th Something? 1351 to 1357
    Pre Treaty
    Series f
    London Mint.

I wrote the above down from the flip it is in I don't know if that helps with my question but there is. Any info you have PLEASE Let me know!

Thanks!!!!!!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

SPINK - 4th coinage year 1356, crown mintmark. Price - F £60, VF £200.
    If its better than VF go get it!

Chase A Byrd

4. merlin1066

merlin1066 Senior Member

Thanks for the reply!!! There in lies my problem, The coin looks OUTSTANDING!, to me that is! It is a good strong centered strike, obverse and reverse are beautiful. I have no reason for me to think that it's a fake. The dealer who has it is a stand up guy. It hasnt been cleaned at all it's a real nice coin, I have no idea what grade it is, I have no reference to compare it to. Do know where I can find photos of graded groats?
    (He also has one that is even NICER than the one I'm looking at) He's telling me that that coin is a VERY Rare groat, and he's asking 900 for it. I may be able to pick it up for less.

Any Opinions are welcome!
    Thanks byrd!!

5. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

I don't know what to tell you about the condition without seeing it. And I don't know where to point you for pics of graded pieces. Maybe someone else can help you with that. What is the other groat?

6. merlin1066

merlin1066 Senior Member

I didn't write the info down on that one and now I'm KICKING my self for not doing it! :headbang: The only good thing is I probably have some time. He said he's had them for a while and no one noticed them in quite a while which could work in my favor. I don't have that much cash but he said he would do layaway for me. I've been surfing the net and can't find anything. Hopefully someone on the fourm has some info. I need the groat crash course! IMO the Edward III IS better than a VF but I need to be sure. The second coin is by far better than VF, I can only afford 1. Either way it's to much money to guess wrong.

Thanks again byrd I really appreciate your input on this.

7. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

8. jimmy-bones

jimmy-bones Senior Member

9. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

If you are having seriouse problems getting info on this coin then try contacting Clive over at Historic coinage, he has some Edward III Groats for sale at the moment and he realy knows his stuff. He is also a very freindly guy :hail:

10. merlin1066

merlin1066 Senior Member

Thanks for the info!! That will be my next stop!

11. merlin1066

merlin1066 Senior Member

Draft saved Draft deleted