England: silver groat of Henry VI, ca. 1422-1461, from the Reigate Hoard found in Surrey

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Jun 12, 2020.

?

How interesting/appealing do you find this coin, whether or not you're an expert? (1=worst, 10=best)

1. 10

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. 9

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  3. 8

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. 7

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  5. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

England: silver groat of Henry VI, ca. 1422-1461, from the Reigate Hoard found in Surrey
    01-ReigateGroat-frame.png
    Obverse: Crowned facing bust within polylobate border; cross patonce mintmark.
    Reverse: Long cross pattée, plain cross mintmark.
    Issuer: Henry VI, King of England, in his first reign (1422-1461).

Specifications: Silver, 27-28 mm approx., 3.85 g. Pinecone- mascle issue, ca. 1431-1432/3. Calais mint.
    Grade: PCGS XF45; cert. #37681942. Purchased raw.
    Reference: PCGS-895173, Seaby-1875, North 1461.
    Provenance: Ex- Patrick Jenkins ("Paddy54" on CoinTalk), 15 March 2019. Prior provenance to Gordon Andreas ("Andy") Singer, Greenbelt, Maryland. Per Andy Singer, this coin is pedigreed to the Reigate Hoard found in Surrey in 1972.
    Notes: the Lancastrian Henry VI of England gained the throne as a mere nine-month-old infant in 1422, upon the death of his father, Henry V, the great warrior king of Shakespearean fame. He was deposed and imprisoned in 1461 as a result of the Wars of the Roses, and supplanted by the Yorkist Edward IV. Henry was restored to the throne in 1470, but imprisoned again when Edward retook power. He died under suspicious circumstances in the Tower of London in 1471. Henry VI was also the disputed king of France from 1422-1453, during this turbulent period when English kings ruled lands in both countries.
    Comments: This handsome groat (fourpence) was struck in France, at Calais, circa 1431-33, and buried in a pottery jug with over 900 other coins in Reigate, Surrey, England, where it was discovered in 1972. Numismatic study of the hoard indicated the burial to have taken place in about 1454 or 1455. Many of the coins were very well preserved.

01-ReigateGroat-frame.png 02-ReigateGroat-TrueView.png 03-ReigateGroat-black.png 04-ReigateGroat-gradient.png 05-ReigateGroat-white.png 06-ReigateGroat-shadowbox.png 07-ReigateGroat-obv.png 08-ReigateGroat-rev.png 09-ReigateGroat-slab.png 10-ReigateHoardPot.png

033500S

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I just love coins of all types and the history they represent. It's a 10 for me.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  4. lordmarcovan

I agree, and went 10 as well this time. Not just because of ownership bias, but because I think coins with known provenance, especially pieces pedigreed to treasure hoards and shipwrecks, speak most evocatively about their history.

5. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I give the smashing groat a jolly 10 as well.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  6. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

What a lovely groat @lordmarcovan. It is a real winner, and to have such a provenance is like the cherry atop a sunday. Andy is also one of my favorite dealers so that makes it even better. Henry VI minted some wonderful coins in both England and France.

I'll add an English groat from Calais that kicked off the whole series. Edward III had silver coins minted in Calais following its capture in 1347. This groat dates from the period after the treaty of Bretigny in 1360 when solve coinage production ramped up.
    4310552.jpg

7. lordmarcovan

(Very belated reply)

@TheRed - that's a really handsome groat, too- I like the portrait on it.

Draft saved Draft deleted