England (Anglo-Saxon): silver sceat, struck in Essex or East Anglia, ca. 685-700 AD

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Aug 13, 2019.

?

How interesting/appealing do you find this coin, whether or not you're an expert? (1=worst, 10=best)

1. 10

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  2. 9

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
  3. 8

10 vote(s)
    32.3%
  4. 7

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  5. 6

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  6. 5

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  7. 4

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

England (Anglo-Saxon): silver sceat, struck in Essex or East Anglia, ca. 685-700 AD

[​IMG]

Obverse: Diademed bust right within ouroboros; blundered legend around.
    Reverse: Bird standing right atop cross; annulets flanking; all within ouroboros; blundered legend around.
    Issuing authority: uncertain Anglo-Saxon mint in Essex or East Anglia.
    Composition, diameter, weight: 12.5 mm, 1.10 g, 3h.
    Grade, certification: VF, light deposits.
    Reference attribution: Series BI A/C, type 27b. Abramson 16.40; SCBI 69 (Abramson), 56; North 126; SCBC 777 (per CNG).
    Provenance: ex-Classical Numismatic Group eAuction 445, Lot 695, 5 June, 2019.* Previously "from the Ealing Collection, purchased from John Cummings, November 1996."

Notes: these small sceats are a fascinating glimpse into the so-called "Dark Ages", during the post-Roman period of tribal migrations. It was a time of transition frompaganism to Christianity, and these coins often show elements of both, featuring mysterious birds and beasts as well as crosses. This one has not only a cross and bird, but some wonderful ouroboros "snake circles" used as borders on both sides as well.

This coin is from the time in which the Beowulf legend was set, though it predates the earliest manuscript of that saga by about three centuries.

Additional images:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

I guess your coin was not "scott free".

Kentucky likes this.
  4. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Interesting coin and period. I had no idea how small these sceattas were until I recently saw some “in person.”

BTW, Beowulf is probably “set” in the early 6th century. We know this because Beowulf’s lord Hygelac is a documented historical figure; his raid on the Franks mentioned in Beowulf is likely referenced in Gregory of Tours’s Historia Franconum, occurring ca. 523 A.D. Of course, one can't be too much of a historical stickler for a poem that treats of trolls and dragons.

Anglo-Saxonists are divided on the oral composition timeframe of the poem. It’s probably extant in some form in the 8th c., though some have pushed the composition date to be as late as the manuscript itself, which dates to about 1000 A.D., as you note.

I was in the British Museum three weeks ago, excited to see the Beowulf ms. Sadly, it was "resting" and not on view. :banghead:

lordmarcovan and Orfew like this.
  5. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

EDIT. * British Library, not British Museum. It’s all a big, wonderful blur.

6. Bardolph

Bardolph Active Member

A beautiful coin in lovely condition. It looks to me like Sceatta Coinage, primary phase c. 680 to C.710. Minted in various rwgions of S.E. and E. England, Series BX Spink Number 776, obv. diademed bust, looking right, legend VANTAVMA or similar; rev. bird right above cross

lordmarcovan likes this.
  7. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Anglo-Saxon good enough for me. like like the obverse. Wish reverse was better centered. Thats all i got

lordmarcovan likes this.
  8. Rudy1198

Rudy1198 Member

Sceattas are an awesome topic to follow down the rabbit hole. I'd love to own some as nice as yours one day!

lordmarcovan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted