Engelhard gold round value

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by sonshines4, Apr 19, 2015.

1. sonshines4

sonshines4 New Member

IMG_1940.JPG IMG_1942.JPG Hello there. I'm incredibly naïve about gold and coin collecting so please forgive me. My father passed away not too long ago and as I was going through more of his things I found 2 coins (or "rounds"?) which he had told me he wanted my 2 eldest sons to have. I'd forgotten about them until now. They are both 1983 Engelhard Prospector 24 karat 999.9 pure 1/4 troy oz coins. I've tried to do research and have found values that seem to be all over the place. They're both in their original seals and I am pretty clueless about them.

Here are some pics. Thank you so much for any help/info!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Your best bet is to go to the Apmex or ProvidentMetals websites and see what similar 1/4 ounce gold rounds are selling for; they go up and down every day with the price of gold. At the moment, $310 to $330 each would be a good estimate. Apmex has "sales" on eBay which cut prices 3% to 5% to attract new customers, or to adjust their inventory.

At this precise moment, on a bullion basis for current rounds, Apmex is $326 sell, $301 buy.

A 1983 round might have some additional collector value to a "type" collector. I don't recall seeing any rounds dated that early, 32 years ago.

4. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

There seem to be a few collectors of the early prospector series. It could have a little value above the spot price which is $301.03 today.

5. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Old Engelhard are very collectible. I wouldn't be surprised if you sold those for $500 each.

6. sonshines4

sonshines4 New Member

Thank you so much for all of the replies. It's nice to know they have some value. We will likely hold onto them until the boys are adults (at least) and see what they'd like to do with them at that point. I assume tha value may increase with age but also depends heavily on the price of gold at that time as well. Thank you again!

7. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

There is probably "somebody" in the U.S. who would pay $500, but you have to find him. Still, I agree, your pieces have some premium above bullion price. You can search for "sold" examples on eBay, too.

Do NOT clean or polish your coins, never never never. They are unlikely to be insured under your Homeowner's policy.

Draft saved Draft deleted