Enemies of Rome on ancient coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Marsman, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Marsman

Marsman Well-Known Member

It looks like fun to me to see how many different enemies of Rome we can find on ancient coins :)

I found this article by Robin Levin that answered 'in a nutshell' the question what countries were considered as Rome’s greatest enemies.
    Here is the link
    https://www.quora.com/What-countries-were-considered-as-Rome-s-greatest-enemies

I am probably not allowed to copy-paste the complete article in this post (due to copyrights) so I wrote down all the enemies that are mentioned in this article.
    Of course we can argue about the list, but my guess is that most 'big enemies' are on it. Please add enemies that are not on the list.

This is the list:
    1. Latins
    2. Sabines
    3. Etruscans
    4. Samnites
    5. Gauls
    6. Pyrrhus of Epirus
    7. Carthage
    8. Seleucid Kingdom
    9. Macedonia
    10. Numidians (king Juba)
    11. Pontus (king Mithridates)
    12. Tribes living in Italy (Samnites and Marsi)
    13. Slave rebellion lead by Spartacus
    14. Pirates in the Mediterranean (Pompey)
    15. Parthians (Crassus, Marc Anthony....)
    16. Civil wars: Marius versus Sulla
    17. Civil wars: Pompey versus Sertorius
    18. Civil wars: Caesar versus Pompey
    19. Civil wars: Octavian and Marc Anthony versus the assassins of Caesar
    20. Civil wars: Octavian versus Marc Anthony
    21. German barbarians (Teutoburg Forest)
    22. Celts (Rebellion Boudicca)
    23. Judea
    24. Dacians
    25. Persians
    26. Muslim Saracens
    27. Nabataean kingdom (my attribution)
    28. etc.
    29. etc.
    30. etc.
    I was surprised to find out that I had quite a few Roman enemies on my coins. This is the one I chose. Love this coin cause of the link with the beautiful city of Petra.
    Aretas.jpg

Aretas, denarius
    M. Aemilius Scaurus & Pub. Plautius Hypsaeus. 58 BC.
    19mm, 3,99g.
    Obv. M SCAVR AED CVR EX S C; King Aretas III of Nabatea kneeling beside camel in an attitude of supplication, holding olive-branch.
    Rev. P HVPSAEVS AED CVR CAPTV C HVPSAE COS PREIVER; Jupiter in quadriga left, holding thunderbolt.
    Cr422/1a

So my attribution to the list of enemies is:

27. Nabataean kingdom (king Aretas III)
    Note: This never turned into a big fight cause the king paid 'several hundred talents of silver' and recognition of Roman supremacy over Nabatea in exchange for peace with the Romans. So at the end this was not a 'big enemy'.......

I am very curious to see how many coins we can find with enemies that are on the list and others that are not on the list......

Please name the enemy and the number on the list and show a coin with the enemy in person on it :)
    Maybe this is turning into one big chaos, but who cares :happy:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

15. Parthian Kingdom. Orodes II (c. 57-38 BC). AR drachm. Kangavar mint (scarce mint).
    Orodes II Kangavar.jpg
    Orodes II was king of Parthia when Crassus made his disastrous expedition. Although Orodes was not present at the climactic Battle of Carrhae, he did meet Crassus afterwards. (Well, Crassus' head, anyway...)

4. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

#5 Gauls:

armorica.jpg

#8 Celeucid Kingdom

demetrios_drachm_7.jpg

#9: Macedonia

perseus_6.jpg

#18 Civil Wars- Caesar vs. Pompey

Julius Caesar.jpg

#20: Civil Wars - Octavian v Marc Antony

89497q00.jpg

#24 Dacians

decius_6 (1) (1) (1).jpg

#27: Nabateans

scaurus.jpg

5. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Fun thread!

6. Pyrrhos of Epeiros

[​IMG]
    Syracuse, Sicily - Pyrrhos AR Oktobol (278–276 B.C.)
    Obverse:
    Head of Persephone to left, wearing wreath of grain leaves and pendant earrings; poppy seed behind.
    Reverse: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ - ΠΥΡΡΟΥ; Athena Alkidemos advancing left, brandishing spear with her right hand and holding shield aloft in her left.

In my opinion Pyrrhos of Epeiros was one of the biggest enemies for the growing republic of Rome. If he focused on Italy who knows what he could have done. The problem is that he was way too ambitious and could not stay consistent and focus on one target. He already made a big mistake going to Sicily to fight Carthage, how could he have possibly thought he could fight both the Romans and the Carthaginians and win, both being two great powers and Pyrrhos army containing mostly mercenary troops and his treasury declining over time. He should have stayed and focused in Southern Italy.

8. Seleukid Empire

[​IMG]
    Antiochos III Megas (223 B.C. - 187 B.C.) Sardeis mint (ca. 213 B.C.)
    Obverse:
    Laureate head of Apollo right, hair rolled behind.
    Reverse: ΒΑΣΙΛEΩΣ ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ. Elephant advancing left; A between the legs.

Antiochos III Megas was a great threat for the expanding Rome into Greece. If he did not make his stupid decision for the Battle of Thermopylae which let to his massive failure in the Battle of Magnesia, then who knows what he could have achieved. Perhaps he could have liberated Greece?

However, I got to blame the Greeks in general as well. What I hate most about Greek history is brothers fighting brothers rather than brothers fighting the common enemies. If all Greece unified their forces and together fought the rising Roman Republic, guaranteed they would have won. However, after the death of Alexander and so many Generals having great ambitions, it is impossible this could have happened. Perhaps if Alexander left a fully grown son, there would have been a more stable successor kingdom. I really wonder that if Alexander lived 10 years longer, how much our history would have changed.

6. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

The Carthaginians rank high as enemies of early Rome. Rome fought Carthage in the three Punic Wars, from 264 BC - 146 BC, finally chasing the Carthaginians from Sicily & North Africa. The coin pictured below was struck by the Carthaginians at the Entella Mint in Sicily, circa 300 BC - 289 BC. AR Tetradrachm, 25 mm, 17.15 gm.

Siculo-Punic 4 drachm.jpg Siculo-Punic.jpg

7. philologus_1

philologus_1 Supporter! Supporter

8. Hamilcar Barca

Hamilcar Barca Well-Known Member

I often wondered what the world would be like today if the Romans did not subject themselves to all those civil wars. What if they had a workable emperor succession scheme? They might have been able to conquer to the frontiers of modern day Russia and India.

9. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Well, a generic enemy. - Maybe Sarmatian.

consII.jpg

With regard to @Hamilcar Barca 's post the Romans tried several times to replicate Alexander's feats (Trajan, Carus) something always happened to prevent this - mainly the Parthians/Sassanians proved too be too much of an obstacle for permanent Eastern expansion.

10. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

This could be a very large list.
    ri208.jpg
    Crispus
    Mint: Sirmium
    324/325 AD
    AE Follis
    Obvs: FL IVL CRISPVS NOB CAES, bust laureate head right.
    Revs: ALAMANNIA DEVICTA, Victory advancing right holding trophy & palm, next to bound captive on right. •SIRM•
    18x19mm, 3.14g
    Ref: RIC VII 49

Hannibal fled to seek refuge with this king and became a naval commander under him for a short period.
    g288.jpg
    Antiochus III
    Mint: Antioch on the Orontes
    Series I
    223 to 187 BC
    Obvs: Laureate head of Antiochus as Apollo right. Dotted border.
    Revs: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY, Apollo seated left on omphalos testing arrow and resting left hand on grounded bow. Control mark ¥ outer left.
    23x24mm, 11.96g
    Ref: SC Vol.1 1048.1a; HGC 10, 466(R2)

War in Spain lasted a very long time before it was conquered.
    c004.jpg
    Titiakos
    100 to 80 BC
    AE AS
    Obvs: Bearded male head right. Ψ behind
    Revs: Horseman riding right, holding spear. ΨΨPXM below
    23x24mm, 7.7g
    CNH 296.12

11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

NICE idea for a thread, @Marsman ! And great Scaurus!

There are a couple more to add to the list:

MARSIC CONFEDERATION (Social War 90-88 BCE)
    upload_2019-7-1_17-40-43.png
    Marsic Confederation
    Denarius 89 BCE
    Obv: Italia
    Rev: Italia seated shields, -victory crowning, In Ex: retro B
    Corfinium Mint
    Campana 105 HN Italy 412a
    Sear 228 RARE

CAPUA - During the War with Hannibal:

I understand Hannibal occupied Capua starting in 216-212 BCE. These coins were minted during that period under Capuan Magistrates allied with Hannibal.

Capua - Defected to Hannibal in 216 BCE after the Battle of Cannae. Hannibal had promised that should Rome be destroyed, Capua would become the capital of Italia. Subsequently, when Rome retook Capua in 211 BCE, they punished the Capuans severely, and destroyed much of their coinage to erase any memory of Hannibal. Coins from Capua from this period are difficult to capture:

[​IMG]
    Campania, CAPUA
    AE Uncia
    Attribution: SNG ANS 210
    Date: 216-211 BC
    Obverse: Bust of Diana right, with bow and quiver over shoulder
    Reverse: Boar right, one pellet above, KAPV (retrograde) in exergue
    Size: 20.72 mm
    Weight: 6.56 grams
    2nd Punic War - Hannibal promises Capua as Capital of Italia after Rome destroyed.
    Scarce

I have most of the list, but here are a couple that I can help with:

3) ETRURIA (RASENNA in their language)
    Possibly the first coin depicting a Sub-Saharan African.
    [​IMG]
    Etruria 3rd C BCE
    AE Quartuncia 18mm 4.76g
    Head of African r
    Elephant r letter below
    SNG COP 48 HNI 69 SNG Paris 138-140 SNG Morcom 44
    RARE

CNG Write-up for a very similar coin (I purchased from another source):

"ETRURIA, Arretium (?). The Chiana Valley. Circa 208-207 BC. Æ Quartunica. Head of African right; monogram to left / Indian elephant standing right, bell around neck; monogram below. HN Italy 69; SNG ANS 41 (same obv. die); SNG Copenhagen 48. rare.

This enigmatic issue has been much discussed. It was Sestini in 1816 who first indicated their area of circulation in and around the Chiana (Clanis) valley and lake Trasimeno, dominated by the cities of Arezzo, Chiusi and Cortona. The traditional attribution of the issue to 217 BC, as representing the propaganda of Hannibal’s approach to Etruria, was modified by Robinson (op. cit.), who saw it as a provocative seditious type of Arretium, which was in a state of high tension with Rome in 209/8, in the hoped for arrival of Hasdrubal from Spain with reinforcements. However, the reverse depicts an Indian rather than African elephant with a bell around its neck reminiscent of the elephant/saw aes signatum issue (Crawford 9/1) of about 250-240 BC and associated with the battle of Maleventum (soon to be called Beneventum) in 275 BC when the captured elephants of Pyrrhus were brought to Rome in triumph. A similar Indian elephant is also depicted as a symbol on the Tarantine nomos issue (Vlasto 710-712), indicating the presence of Pyrrhus in the city in 282-276. The Barcid coinage of New Carthage (Villaronga CNH, pg. 65, 12-15) and that of Hannibal in Sicily (SNG Cop. 382) clearly depict African elephants belonging to the elephant corps from about 220 BC. As Maria Baglione points out in "Su alcune parallele di bronzo coniato," Atti Napoli 1975, pg.153-180, the African/elephant issue shares control marks with other cast and struck Etruscan coins of the region, she quotes Panvini Rosati in ‘ Annuario dell’accademia Etrusca di Cortona XII’, 1964, pg. 167ff., who suggests the type is to be seen as a moneyer’s badge or commemorative issue in the style of Caesar’s elephant/sacrificial implements issue of 49/48 BC (Crawford 443/1). The elephant, an attribute of Mercury/Turms, is an emblem of wisdom and is also a symbol of strength and of the overcoming of evil."

4) SAMNIUM

The Samnites were a group of 4 tribes from South-Central Italy. They were an off-shoot of the Sabines, and were a very tough, sturdy people.

As the Republican Romans absorbed many of the tribes, cities, and regions into their Empire, they fought three brutal wars with the Samnites in 343- 341 BCE, 326- 304 BCE and 298-290 BCE. Fighting the Samnites was a real struggle, brutal, and really toughened the Romans when they eventually defeated them. They learned that fighting a "backwards" mountain people would really give them a bloody nose. I believe that they incorporated the characteristic feather in the Helmet as a substitute or an addition to the horse-hair comb from the Samnites. I saw this and had to get it.

[​IMG]
    SAMNIUM, Aesernia.
    Circa 263-240 BC.
    Æ (20mm, 7.14 g, 8h).
    Obv: Head of Vulcan left, wearing pilos; tongs to right
    Rev: Jupiter in biga galloping right; above, Nike flying right, crowning horses. Campana 4; HN Italy 430.
    Good Fine, dark green-brown patina.
    From the Camerata Romeu Collection.

Attached Files:

12. Nvb

Nvb Well-Known Member

Civil Wars: Caesar vs. Pompey

[​IMG]

Weight 2.69g
    Diameter 18.3mm

Imperatorial coins
    L. Cornelius Lentulus Crus and C. Claudius Marcellus Denar 49 BC Chr., Army mint. the Pompeian to Apollonia in Illyria. Triskeles with winged Medusenhaupt and ears / Jupiter with eagle and lightning bundle. Cr. 445, 1b; Syd. 1029. 2.69 g .; Fine, slightly bluish tint Very beautiful Subaerat

The Triskeles refers to the conquest of Sicily by M. Claudius Marcellus in the year 212 BC. The island was known in antiquity as Trinakria

Gauls
    These lucky gauls have since been freed =)

[​IMG]
    coriosolite AR cropped.jpg
    FullSizeRender (2).jpg

13. SeptimusT

SeptimusT Well-Known Member

Amisos.png
    #11: King Mithradates VI of Pontus, 109 - 89 BC
    Obverse
    : Helmeted head of Athena right
    Reverse: Perseus facing, holding harpa and head of Medusa; Medusa’s body at his feet right; AMI-ΣOY across fields, AMTE and ΩΣ monograms below

14. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

Surely not Vercingetorix, but a Gaul anyway.

Phil Davis

Phil (98).JPG

15. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

#9- Macedonia - Philip V- After an unsuccessful alliance with Hannibal and then taking huge losses in the 2nd Macedonian war, Philip decided to change loyalties and cut a deal with the Romans to save himself and what was left of his empire.

E4ECEDD2-11C1-4F95-8D7B-670C047D7428.jpeg
    Philip V of Macedon, Uncertain mint in Macedon, c. 183–179 BC, (AE 7.45g, 19mm). Bearded head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin / Harpa; ΔΙ monogram above; all within wreath.

16. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Great thread idea and just some insane coins right here folks!
    #25:
    This fella beat up on Constantine and his sons. Though you could say Constantine was an enemy if Rome. I mean he did move the capital away to Constantinople and was a total psycho path n all.
    9A99A106-CEB2-4B87-8D3E-0136709A85AB.png

Shapur II
    Sasanian Kingdom AD 309-379. Drachm AR
    23mm., 4,04g.
    Bust of Shapur II right, wearing mural crown with korymbos and inner ribbon / Fire altar with ribbon and bust right in flames, flanked by two attendants, each wearing mural crown with korymbos, legend on altar shaft.
    very fine. Former Savoca

Alegandron, randygeki, Shea19 and 3 others like this.
  17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

#7 Carthage was perhaps the most formidable attack upon Rome. My memories, as a boy, reading about the rivalry..........

18. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

11. Pontus (King Mithridates)

This one is a little bit more obscure, but this is Ariarathes IX Eusebes Philopator, who was one of the sons of Mithridates VI. In 101 BC, Mithridates installed Ariarathes as the King of Cappadocia when he was just 8 years old. He was mostly a puppet ruler during that time, and was deposed by the Romans in 96 B.C. His dad managed to get him reinstated as king, but he was booted out of power by the Romans again in 89 BC, and died in battle two years later.

F2430CDA-EECF-4B88-8725-4142ABF473CA.jpeg
    Kings of Cappadocia. Ariarathes IX Eusebes Philopator 101-87 BC.
    AR Drachm, (18mm, 3.94g.)
    Diademed head right, with the features of Mithradates VI of Pontos / Athena Nikephoros standing left, monogram to inner left, Δ (date) in exergue.

Alegandron, Ryro, Orielensis and 3 others like this.
  19. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

Just received this coin
    The soldier on the reverse of this coin is thought to be
    Bituitus, a king of the Arverni

M. Aurelius Scarus 118 BC AR Denarius
    3.95g 19mm Narbo Mint
    M AVRELI ROMA XVI monogram behind helmeted head of Roma right
    Gallic warrior driving biga right, SCAVRI below/ L LIC CN DOM

APC_0199.jpg APC_0200.jpg

Volodya, Bing, Johndakerftw and 3 others like this.
  20. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

CARTHAGE

Wars with Rome:

FIRST PUNIC WAR

upload_2019-7-2_6-12-7.png
    Carthage Zeugitania First Punic War 264-241 BCE Double Shekel 26 mm 13.9 g Wreathed Tanit Horse stndng r star above SNG Cop 185 Scarce

SECOND PUNIC WAR
    upload_2019-7-2_6-13-51.png
    Carthage mint 2nd Punic War 203-201 BCE BI 1½ Shekels 24mm 9.4 g Wrthd Hd Tanit - Horse stndng R hd L, raised foreleg Pellet SNG COP 394

THIRD PUNIC WAR
    upload_2019-7-2_6-15-36.png
    Carthage Third Punic War Serrate Double Shekel 149-146 BCE 12.8g 26mm Wreathd Tanit-Horse pellet raised leg SNG COP 404

comments:
    Scarce. From the last issue of Carthage before its destruction by a vengeful Rome following the Third Punic War (149-146 BC). The serrate edge is found on both electrum and billon coins of the period and is similar to the flan treatments of contemporary Macedonian and Seleukid bronze coins. The reason for this added detail remains a mystery. SCARCE
    Jenkins & Lewis pl. 28, 14; MAA 100b; cf. SNG Copenhagen 403 (pellet below legs)

Volodya, Shea19, Bing and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted