Enduring Beauty: 1913 Caballito Peso

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by 7Jags, Dec 5, 2021.

1. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

This coin is not especially rare, although as readers know is frequently messed with, cleaned, scrubbed or abused. I actually like the mid-grade uncirculated coins that are well struck and this is a very nice example IMHO that was bought raw in an auction last year - luster in hand is really fabulous cartwheel that doesn't seem to show & am tempted to try again later on today with better photos:

tempImagebvJjIj.png tempImaged8NCZ5.png

Sorry about the focus on the reverse, it is NOT sadly the 3/2 version as can be seen:
    tempImagenDsk4F.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

Really nice example of this beautiful Mexican Type.
    Congrats on the acquisition.
    J.T.

4. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Ah thanks. I have a 1914 at PCGS that I hope does not get "details" graded AU as it is nice but a bit of luster loss.

5. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

6. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

Nice coin! I also have a 1913 Caballito (below)- it's one of my favorite Mexican coins and among my favorite coins of all. I never read the book Mexican Beauty, Un Peso Caballito by Allen Schein, but I've heard great things about it - it's also printed in both English and Spanish - always a bonus. The Caballito below was graded AU 55 by NGC.

1913_CaballitoObverse.png 1913_CaballitoReverse.png

7. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

Lovely coin! Looks nicely struck for a 1913. Here is my Caballito I acquired this year. Allan Schein believes its full PL both sides, but it was submitted before PCGS was designating anything but Morgans as PL. I may resubmit to try to get the PL added someday.
    89405.jpeg

8. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Wow! And this is why I love this series. That coin is fabulous Kazuma.
    I got on the Boards at PCGS a 1912 that looked good, and then graded very well:

03904B4A-0D87-433D-8453-BC76A3CD8121_1_201_a.jpeg C8FBA26C-F09C-4D97-853B-A96AF9EB1B8C_1_201_a.jpeg

And here are some also rather poor pictures of the 1914 with strange toning on the Caballito side:

tempImageoRP8Rj.png tempImageDJ0WJ5.png tempImageDJ0WJ5.png

Attached Files:

9. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Love the design. Nice examples you all have there.

I got this 1910 a while back, I believe the commonest date of the series? It was both quite cheap and nice so I am happy.

Mexico Caballito Peso 1901 - OBV - VGP - Sep 2021 - 1 (1).jpeg Mexico Caballito Peso 1901 - REV - VGP - Sep 2021 - 1.jpeg

10. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

I have always liked this design, but the prices for the grade I want are just too steep. I can wait though because collecting isn't a race, right? All of you guys' coins look awesome!

11. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Eduard, that is nice 1910 there. Yes, it is the most common but the design the same regardless.
    I think that the grading on these is not consistent so you can sometimes find a very nice MS62/3 for 1910 or 1913 that is not too bad - the market is on the upswing but worst if you try for MS65 and above...

kazuma78 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted