End of World War II 75th Anniversary American Eagle Silver Proof Coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by fretboard, Nov 2, 2020.

1. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Plenty of private businesses have bad websites or websites that would crash with huge increases in traffic. The mint basically gets a month or mores worth of traffic in 5 minutes once or twice a year, plenty of sites would crash if that happened to them

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. brokecoinguy

brokecoinguy I like what I can't afford

Dang that took a long time, after refreshing 1,000 times I finally got my silver eagle

4. Mike Davis

Mike Davis Well-Known Member

It took me an hour and finally rec'd my order summary. Also talked my daughter in Memphis into going through the headache and her order went through within 35 minutes.

5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I got 2 silver eagles. The golds were sold out by the time the site worked for me.

SILVER E C-C likes this.
  6. SILVER E C-C

SILVER E C-C Junior Member

:) Stay'in happy, I got 1 ~ checked out at 1:00.

7. Speedbump

Speedbump Not a New Member

I guess they got Cloudflare to stop blocking people and let everyone through. Next, you just needed to fight the refresh page for an hour. I finally got mine order to process. I actually got a notification from my credit card before the order confirmation page finally came up.

SILVER E C-C likes this.
  8. brokecoinguy

brokecoinguy I like what I can't afford

ASE is now sold out

9. Speedbump

The blocking of IPs was most definitely a mistake and not part of your typical run on a hot product. Cloudflare thought the site was under attack and just started issuing bans to everyone. Someone forgot to set proper security parameters with the anticipation of extremely heavy traffic and above normal refreshes per minute. Crashing of the page, slow responses, those are normal. IP blocking is not.

10. Junior lawson

Junior lawson Active Member

Woot woot i just got mine. Lots of issues connecting but i got thru.

11. baseball21

That part was definitely weird and first time I've seen that happen

12. Tusky Ranger

Tusky Ranger Active Member

I agree - I think a lottery system for limited mintage coins is really a fair way to go, though a 3rd party site might be fair in that everyone will have a chance to get lucky by being relentless :)

13. Virginian

Virginian Well-Known Member

This was a product of gross incompetency. But it was not the only such product of their incompetency which was experienced today.

14. Virginian

Virginian Well-Known Member

Yep.

I believe that someone here posted that they were not supposed to all sell out right away. However it seems that the only limiting factor in the speed of the sellout was the absolute clown show of a website that the US Mint has.

People here post a lot of wrong things, but when they are proven wrong it would be nice if they came back and said so.

15. baseball21

Anyone who said the gold wasn't going to sell out immediately really isn't good at predicting products. That was blatantly obvious that one would have sold out in 20 seconds if the site allowed it too.

Virginian likes this.
  16. Tusky Ranger

Tusky Ranger Active Member

Bullion Exchanges was paying $6200 for the gold and $300 for the silver. Pinehurst Coins was paying $400 for the silver and $6000 for the gold. So...there is a lot of other traffic out there aside from collectors who actually want the coin for a collection/prosperity sake other than a quick-flip. Not really sure how I feel about that...

17. Speedbump

Wow! JMB was only offering $1000 over for the gold and $50 over for the silver.

18. Brian Calvert

Brian Calvert Active Member

I would pay 7k for one if I could get it....
    Wont go as high at 8k
    I got a silver one, but only because my relative in Delaware placed the order. Here in Florida we hit blocks, many people here had the same problem and no one got a coin.

Now, you would think that the MINT would catch on to the value of what they have. They could have easily sold the Gold for 5k and made some real money for the MINT, Govt. Yet, they dont, and those involved, here, and other coin guru's should be ashamed of the process that they have help establish... for personal gain...

19. Brian Calvert

Brian Calvert Active Member

I concur...

20. baseball21

That's a slippery slope that many world mints have toyed with before, there is a point where the initial price is so high trying to suck the bone dry that you kill most of the interest. Doubling the price makes no real difference at all for anything in terms of the government but does risk a product sitting and taking months to sell out if it ever does.

21. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

I definitely made a prediction and I didn't go anywhere. :joyful:

Predicted the gold would sell out in 5 minutes or less, predicted the silver would sell out in a couple hours up to a day maybe.
    It was an hour and 45 minutes for the silver eagle. I'm surprised by that, I'd have thought it would have been up for 3 hours at least.

LakeEffect likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted