Enamored... Fixated... Enthralled...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Justin Lee, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

So I was browsing coins on Ebay (as I do in my copious free time) and came across this Trajan and was just enthralled with it, specifically it's portrait... It's just beautiful. And the deep red patina, and the elephants... I just stared at it for minutes.

Screenshot_20170822-203601.jpg Screenshot_20170822-203620.jpg

I'm not the only one, right? You all do that occasionally too, right? :sorry::)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I used to more than I do nowadays. Maybe I've just seen too many, but the excitement is still there. Did you buy this coin?

4. Justin Lee

No, it's above my pay grade... :)

5. Bing

Too bad. It's a nice example

Justin Lee likes this.
  6. Justin Lee

Here's another one that I had the same reaction to this morning. A handsome portrait of Sept. Sev.

Screenshot_20170823-073503.jpg Screenshot_20170823-073531.jpg

7. Justin Lee

I'm glad to hear that, @Bing ! What coins have been getting you excited lately?

8. Bing

I've been rather lax in looking at new coins to buy, but I'm constantly on the lookout for MA legionary denarii. I see a lot, but the prices for some are just too inflated, so I just look and drool.

9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

All the time :)

Nice coin!!

Andres2 likes this.
  10. Justin Lee

ALL. THE. TIME.

11. Justin Lee

Phew! :woot::cat:

12. Justin Lee

Do you have one/some?

13. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Every day. My wants greatly exceed my means. Lol

Stevearino and Justin Lee like this.
  14. Bing

I have 18 of the denarii. Mostly the easier ones to acquire. The rest, I think 16 differing versions, are a bit harder to find and a bit more expensive. My latest, which hasn't arrived yet, is a CHORTIS SPECVLATORVM issue and it wasn't cheap by my standards.

Orfew, Justin Lee and Alegandron like this.
  15. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

REALLY looking forward to seeing your post on that one! Congrats capturing it!

Curtisimo and Justin Lee like this.
  16. thedredge

thedredge Active Member

You are not the only one, I do it to on occasion also. However I find I do it more at the beach in the summer. :woot:

Justin Lee likes this.
  17. Bing

LOL. Me too.

Alegandron likes this.
  18. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

That is a nice first year SS Rome mint protrait with the Virtus reverse. In that degree of wear it should not be terribly expensive. It is not rare. The 193 coins vary a lot in portrait style since SS was out of town and the mint workers had been cutting a lot of different faces in the last few months. Examples (I do rather like 193 coins):
    ri4020bb0811.jpg ri4030bb1121.jpg ri4040bb0140.jpg

This one does not even have curly hair. ri4050b01076lg.JPG

dlhill132, Curtisimo, Ajax and 9 others like this.
  19. Justin Lee

They have it listed at $205... not terribly much in relation to some others (owls), but too high for me. My wife says I need to be good... So I've been keeping myself to $30 and below :)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  20. Justin Lee

I'm currently on the scavenge for a decent (yet reasonable) Julia Soaemias coin (be it a denar, sest, dup, as)... Will complete my Severan Dynasty set I've been gathering. My Antonine Dynasty set will be completed with the delivery of my recent Crispina purchase. Can't wait!

21. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Don't try to resell it for that. I would have guessed half. I failed researching the type. CNG has sold six in gold but none in silver. My unpaid acsearch privilege omits prices on the ones listed there.

Justin Lee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted