Enamelled Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Paddy54, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

A member here was selling a $5 gold enamelled coin and I PM them to explain the process as well as values. Not so much state side however in Europe as well as the UK, and other countries these have quite a following. Noticed the spelling I used not enameled but the British spelling, sort of like Harbor and Harbour,both correct depending on whom you are talking to. :) DSCN3033.JPG DSCN3075.JPG DSCN3078.JPG DSCN3082.JPG DSCN3083.JPG DSCN3085.JPG DSCN3086.JPG DSCN3087.JPG DSCN3092.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

Sometimes being popular just isn't enough for me... :vomit:

4. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Wait, so now the eagle on the reverse of a Morgan is a Golden Eagle instead of a Bald Eagle? I protest!

Paul M. likes this.
  5. Paddy54

DSCN3243.JPG DSCN3244.JPG DSCN3241.JPG DSCN3242.JPG DSCN3249.JPG DSCN3250.JPG A few more plus a love token enamelled Above.

Nathan401, tommyc03 and Paul M. like this.
  6. Paddy54

Tell it to the queen as it was made in GB.

Paul M. likes this.
  7. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

I'll mention it to Her Majesty the next time we're having a beer together.

Paul M. likes this.
  8. Paddy54

Like or dislike those first 9 coins even though damaged by the process of enameling are valued today around 3 - 5k!

Paul M. likes this.
  9. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I like the jewelry ones. Even though they're well done, something won't let me like the other ones. I guess I just don't like colorized coins all that much.

mynamespat likes this.
  10. Paddy54

These were a part of my collection at one time....they sparked an interest that burned out as soon as I was being offered moon money for them. The love token sold for just under 1k.
    The more colors on them the higher the value. I sold 2 U.S. $5 gold pieces that both had 7 colors the last one sold for $800.
    To a Disney artist in California . As the coin was shipped to the Disney studios .

11. Paddy54

Quite sure she'll give you a grand tour of the Tower of London .

12. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

I will say the love token is very nicely done, but I just can't get over the damaged coin aspect. Everyone's entitled to collect what they enjoy. It seems like every collector has some oddity they enjoy, but others don't see the attraction. I definitely find them interesting and would probably not look too closely at one had you not shared. So, thank you kindly for sharing.

13. Paddy54

Well Pat most of us meaning Americans have no idea of what these are or their values.
    My post is to educate the members here as should you spot one at a show.....and can pick it up at a good price you may be able to flip it for a nice profit .
    As you say collect what interests you....but turn a profit if the opportunity presents itself . :)

tommyc03 likes this.
  14. Paddy54

Another aspect of theses was that they like love tokens, were worn and given as gifts .
    I'm sure a lot of clubs, organizations , and groups used these also. I do have a reference book written by the expert on these. I'm sure he has since passed and the book out of print.

Draft saved Draft deleted