Enameled State Quarter Redux

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by tommyc03, Nov 24, 2019.

1. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Someone posted one of these awhile back and I just found this yesterday while doing a bank box. The conversation went towards stickered and I mentioned enameled and got some laughs. I can tell you it is enameled or painted but def. not stickered. And a very bad job of it as was the other one. Those little pixels of red and the black against the green img127.jpg would lend you think stickered but it's just not so. img126.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

With all those dots showing, it looks like a very low resolution print. Which would lead me to believe it was stickered.

tommyc03 likes this.
  4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I tried best as I could to get my finger under it but to no avail. It certainly looks that way as you describe. I have wondered if there might possibly be some type of machine that this could be done with. It's really not all that important but does get my curiosity piqued.

5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

The RCM does it with some of their coins. I am sure there is a method to do it. Perhaps not stickered perse, but definitely printed and not enameled.

tommyc03 likes this.
  6. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

If stickered, then adhesive would have to be used and perhaps acetone would remove the sticker?

7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I could use acetone but think I'll just toss it back into the wild and let someone else have fun with it.

dwhiz and Inspector43 like this.
  8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Almost looks like a 'done' pattern from the wifes' embroidery machine.......

tommyc03 and PlanoSteve like this.
  9. Mike185

Mike185 Well-Known Member

Hey I have some of those. I catch one every now and then for crhing Thought it my be from some hsn sales of state coin or something.... I guess? It’s? A? Collection????
    I thought I might try and get all 50 states...

tommyc03 likes this.
  10. Mike185

Mike185 Well-Known Member

Forgot to add picture 725F0F9A-33FA-4C43-969E-778CEC39A389.jpeg A15F7615-24E7-4FB7-882D-E2FB6BD9D1B5.jpeg 70D7BAA2-2F3C-4D65-A32A-21643AB824E1.jpeg DFF1CB2D-E6A4-49C7-A76E-112870E52DB1.jpeg

tommyc03 likes this.
  11. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

How would you come up with such an idea? :p:joyful::joyful::joyful::kiss::confused:o_O

12. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

It's like a paint but it's printed on the coin in a machine so technically some kind of ink.
    It's why it's perfectly round and sometimes doesn't line up right.
    I dunno the machine but it's basically a printer that colors them. Some of them are really crude like they were done dot matrix,
    Other's look like model paint but it's the same type of process. I don't think anyone is hand painting them.

tommyc03 likes this.
  13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

She makes me help her with the equipment.........:)

I've learned so much that I've even begun digitizing coins....still a work in progress though.:)

PlanoSteve likes this.
  14. bud250r

bud250r Active Member

It’s not a sticker.
    How about some kind of decal.
    They should both come off in acetone.

15. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

Whatever it turns out to be (sticker, painted, plated, etc.) I don't like it. I'll bet it was painted on and then cured hard by baking/heating it up. I've done that with car parts when I painted something with high temperature spray paint. Once it's painted, I stick the piece in the oven and get it up to about 200 degrees and then take it out and cool it off. The paint becomes rock hard because of that. I'm betting they did the same thing with these. Paint was baked on, even perhaps powder coated processed. All indications are it wasn't done at the mint.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  16. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

On one of those cold nights his wife taught him how to make those neat colorized coins. Sorry @green18 I just couldn't help myself.

PlanoSteve likes this.
  17. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

This is a foregone conclusion and was never in doubt or brought up.

18. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Thanks for all of the replies and ideas folks. It went back into a roll today and I deposited it at the bank.

PlanoSteve likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted