Emperor on horseback again

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by randygeki, Aug 18, 2017.

1. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Unfortunately it's not a Fel Temp, but still one I've wanted. A budget Domitian on horsback. It's another darkly toned Flavian.
    IMG_3081.JPG
    Domitian Denarius. CAES AVG F DOMIT COS II, laureate head right / Domitian riding horse left, raising hand & holding scepter surmounted by a human head. RIC 680 (RIC [1962] 232) (Vespasian), RSC 664, BMC 129

and another budget denarius, of Hadrian. I likes the style of the bust a lot. It has a faint bit of rainbow toning too.

IMG_3076.JPG
    Hadrian Denarius. IMP CAESAR TRAIAN HADRIANVS AVG, laureate head right, drapery on far shoulder / P M TR P COS III PV-DIC, Pudicitia standing facing, veiled head right, hand on breast
    RIC 135, RSC 1209a, BMC 309

An interesting reverse I think.

"Pudicitia ("modesty" or "sexual virtue") was a central concept in ancient Roman sexual ethics. The word is derived from the more general pudor, the sense of shame that regulated an individual's behavior as socially acceptable. Pudicitia was most often a defining characteristic of women, but men who failed to conform to masculine sexual norms were said to exhibit feminizing impudicitia, sexual shamelessness. The virtue was personified by the Roman goddess Pudicitia, whose Greek equivalent was Aidos."

"Livy states that the plebeian shrine of Pudicitia eventually fell into disuse after its sacred character had been abused."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pudicitia

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

It must be a huge collection now, with another couple of nice additions.

randygeki likes this.
  4. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I had to put my fel temps into their own album XD

5. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

I figured it was getting a bit crowded :rolleyes:

randygeki likes this.
  6. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Very nice additions!!

I picked up a 'variety' of your Domitian from a FAC auction, although apparently signifying something entirely different and suggesting the following:

"In 71 A.D., Vespasian and his sons celebrated the vanquishing of the Jews with a triumph in Rome. The Jewish historian Josephus was present at the festivities and noted, "It is impossible to do justice in the description of the number of things to be seen and to the magnificence of everything that met the eye..The greatest amazement was caused by the floats. Their size gave grounds for alarm about their stability, for many were three or four stories high..On one float the army could be seen pouring inside the walls, on another was a place running with blood. Others showed defenseless men raising their hands in entreaty, firebrands being hurled at temples or buildings falling on their owners. On yet others depicted rivers, which, after the destruction and desolation, flowed no longer through tilled fields providing water for men and cattle, but through a land on fire from end to end. It was to such miseries that the Jews doomed themselves by the war..Standing on his individual float was the commander of each of the captured cities showing the way he had been taken prisoner..Spoil in abundance was carried past. None of it compared with that taken from the Temple in Jerusalem..The procession was completed by Vespasian, and, behind him, Titus. Domitian rode on horseback wearing a beautiful uniform and on a mount that was wonderfully well worth seeing..." Perhaps this coin depicts Domitian as he appeared on that day?"

Silver denarius, RIC II, part 1, Vespasian 957; RSC II 49; BMCRE II 234; BnF III 207; Hunter I p. 247, 13; SRCV I 2638, F, toned, Rome mint, 3.367 grams, 18.1 mm, die axis 90o, as caesar, 77 - 78 A.D.; obverse CAESAR AVG F DOMITIANVS, laureate head right; reverse horseman (Domitian?) prancing right, wearing helmet and military garb, cloak flying behind, right hand flung up and back, COS V in exergue

Domitian and mounted horse reverse.jpg

7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

My only Roman emperors on horseback:
    Septimius Severus 1.jpg
    SEPTIMIUS SEVERUSAR Denarius
    OBVERSE: L SEPT SEV PERT AVG IMP VIII - Laureate head right
    REVERSE: ADVENTI FELICISSIMO, Severus on horseback right raising hand
    Struck at Rome, 196 AD
    3.4g, 17mm
    RIC 74, S 6256, C 6
    Probus 4.jpg
    PROBUS
    Antoninianus
    OBVERSE: IMP PROBVS P F AVG, radiate cuirassed bust right
    REVERSE: ADVENTVS AVG, Probus on horseback left, holding sceptre & right hand held high in return salute; at left, under hoof, a captive looks on, R-thunderbolt-Z in ex.
    Struck at Rome, 279 AD
    3.3g, 21mm
    RIC 155

8. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

9. PMONNEY

PMONNEY Flaminivs

I have three coins showing an emperor on horseback:2 Septimius Severus from Emesa, RIC 415, and from Rome RIC IV PartI,106, plus Philippus Arabs riding with his son,, Rome, RIC.10.See below;

Attached Files:

Ajax, TIF, chrsmat71 and 5 others like this.
  10. PMONNEY

PMONNEY Flaminivs

SeptSevriding.jpg

Attached Files:

11. monetarium

monetarium Member

I have this As? (based on the size), although I'm not sure who's the emperor here... Maybe Caracalla?

IMG-3170.JPG IMG-3171.JPG

Severus Alexander, Ajax, TIF and 7 others like this.
  12. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Great coins!

monetarium likes this.
  13. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Cool budget coins RG! I really like the second as well, the toning is cool and the ghostly visage of Pudicitia is pretty sweet.

Here's a budget MA with emperor on horseback reverse...

_57_zps8efab2cc.jpg

I've never been able to ID this coin, if anyone knows what it is let me know please!

14. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Nice. Maybe Syedra, Cilicia

15. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Looks like this one, Chris?
    http://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/4/9206/
    I think you have the reverse rotated about 20 degrees too much to the right.

TIF and randygeki like this.
  16. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice denarii additions, I always liked that reverse of Domitian.

randygeki likes this.
  17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This strikes me as a Provincial of Geta rather than a Roman as. The letters gamma epsilon are just right of the portrait.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  18. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

That's REAL close isn't it? Thanks for that lead Z! I look all over the place for that! Well, now I have a "D" provincial city to post. What a weird mounted fellow! Why is he leaning back so far in the saddle?? LOL!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted