Embossed USA coins with Liberty facing outward/forward? What's the story?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Collect89, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

My friend has a set of these embossed coins. I'd certainly like to learn more about them. I think that one of our CT members uses one as his avatar.

Where do they come from?

Perhaps someone could send me a PM indicating the wholesale & retail price of such a set? Any info would be appreciated. I would like to help my friend price the set appropriately.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

May be embossed or bonded somehow

I used the word "embossed" but I really don't know how the coins are made. They have an appearance of being stamped from the back through to the front. However, it may be pressed in from the back & have the front-facing Liberty image bonded to the obverse. I didn't really study the coins but they look cool. :confused:

4. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

Its called repousse and they can get quite price! They were made using a die striking the reverse of the coin so the obverse would have the desired choice of face "popping out". Different faces and what denomination coin really determine the value. I hope this helps!

5. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

6. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

You have been much help. Thank you.

Here is a photo depicting the set. I've got a very high resolution image on my phone (if anyone is interested in the set).

Attached Files:

7. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

These repousse coins have been produced for at least a century and there are numerour motifs used from era to era. The Liberty motif on this coin is quite famous and more common than most others.

Draft saved Draft deleted