Elephants on Roman coins -- including my RR Denarius No. 37

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by DonnaML, Oct 30, 2020.

1. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

A very interesting thread; thanks.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Fascinating write-up, DonnaML, and all the interesting contributions about elephants on coins. Thank you all for sharing.:)

Don't have any coins with an elephant, neither whole nor dismembered. Maybe someday I get lucky:D

Alegandron, +VGO.DVCKS and DonnaML like this.
  4. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Nice coins!
    ana coins 010.JPG
    ana coins 013.JPG

not Roman, but funny.
    EPSON005 snake lunch.JPG

akeady, Sulla80, jdmKY and 11 others like this.
  5. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Caracalla (AD 198–217). AE denarius. Obv. ANTONINVS PIVS AVG BRIT, laureate head of Caracalla, Rev. P M TR P XV COS III P P, elephant right. RIC 199
    imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-BlF9eJMlLy.jpg

Limes, benhur767, Sulla80 and 9 others like this.
  6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Here's a Conder token that shows a similar lack of familiarity with elephant anatomy.

upload_2020-10-31_2-55-20.png

benhur767, Sulla80, Spaniard and 9 others like this.
  7. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

That's a beautiful denarius @DonnaML ! Both issues of Q. Caecilius Metellus Pius as imperator are among my favorite Roman Republican types.

Here is, as requested, an assortment of ancient elephants:
    Seleukiden – Antiochos III der Große, AE, Apollo u. Elephant, SC I 979 (neues Foto).png
    Antiochos III “the Great,” Seleucid Empire, AE denomination D, 223–187 BC, Sardes mint. Obv: head of Apollo r. Rev: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY; elephant standing l., anchor in l. field. 12mm, 2.39g. Ref: Seleucid Coins I, 979.

Römische Republik – RRC 374:1, Denar, Q. Caecilius Metellus Pius, Pietas Elefant.jpg
    Roman Republic, imperatorial issue of Q. Caecilius Metellus Pius, AR denarius, 81 BC, Northern Italian mint. Obv: diademed head of Pietas r.; to r., stork standing r. Rev: Q C M P I; elephant standing l., wearing bell around neck. 17mm, 3.55g. Ref: RRC 374/1. Ex JB collection; ex AMCC 2, lot 105.

Römische Republik – RRC 443:1, Denar, Julius Caesar, Elephant.png
    Roman Republic, Imperatorial Coinage, Julius Caesar, AR denarius, 49–48 BC, military mint moving with Caesar. Obv: [CA]ESAR; elephant walking r., trampling snake. Rev: priestly implements: culullus, aspergillum, axe, apex. 20mm, 3.70g. Ref: RRC 443/1.

Orient, Antike – Kushan – Huvishka, Elefantenreiter und Oesho.png
    Huvishka, Kushan Empire, AE tetradrachm, c. 155-189 CE. Obv: þAONANOþ OOηþKE KOþANO (partially struck), King riding elephant r., holding elephant goad. Re: OηþO; Oesho (Siva?) standing facing, holding trident and deerskin. 26mm, 9.97g. Ref: Göbl 855; Mitchiner 3291-3301.

Orient, Antike – Satavahana Empire, BI Karshapana, Elefant.png
    Satavahana Empire, early Satakarni ruler, BI karshapana, ca. 39–107 AD, minted in northern Deccan region. Obv: Elephant with raised trunk r., remains of legend ("Rano Siri Satakanisa"). Revers: Dynastic symbol. 19mm, 2.85g. Ref: Mitchiner 4941–4952.

Orient, MA – Hindu Shahi, Samanta Deva, Jital, Tye 19.png
    Hindu Shahi, Samanta Deva, AE jital, ca. 850–1000 AD, Ohind mint (?). Obv: Elephant advancing l.; Nagari legend “Sri Samanta Deva” above. Rev: Lion standing r. with jaws open and paw raised. 16mm, 1.64g. Ref: Tye 19.

8. DonnaML

I didn't know that you collect Conder tokens, @Roman Collector. That's a very nice one. Complete with a shockingly risque obverse. Pro Bono Publico indeed!

Among what remains of my British historical medal collection, I have a very small number of so-called Conder tokens myself. Including this Pidcock farthing token, from about 1800, with an elephant on the obverse and a cockatoo on the reverse. These tokens were issued depicting all sorts of different animals, to advertise Pidcock's Royal Menagerie in London.

Pidcock token elephant-cockatoo (elephant side).jpg

Pidcock token elephant-cockatoo (cockatoo side).jpg

See P. & B. Withers, The Token Book: British Tokens of the 17th 18th and 19th Centuries and their Values (2010), No. 1067 at p. 306.

benhur767, Edessa, Sulla80 and 5 others like this.
  9. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I love that Pidcock farthing!!!

+VGO.DVCKS and DonnaML like this.
  10. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Conder tokens are the kind of thing I wish I'd gotten into deeper when I might have. One British numismatist, now deceased (no, none of the three or so usual suspects), favored me with some correspondence, on either side of having bought his William I BMC 1 halfpenny of Thetford. He mentioned how he was starting to collect high-grade Conders, effectively on the ground floor.

DonnaML likes this.
  11. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Congrats @DonnaML on #37 & on your 2K, 10K, 9 month milestones! I guess I was sleeping when this thread started - and clearly elephants are a crowd pleaser as we are already on page 3. Here's a favorite elephant, a coin of this type already posted by @Ryro on page one:
    Q. Caecilius Metellus Pius Scipio.jpg
    The Pompeians, Q. Caecilius Metellus Pius Scipio, 47- Spring 46 BC, AR denarius, struck by a military mint traveling with Scipio in Africa
    Obv: Laureate head of Jupiter right; Q • METEL around right, PIVS below
    Rev: Elephant advancing right; SCIPIO above, IMP below
    Ref: Crawford 459/1
    Here are my two elephants from this type - the duck-like feet are particularly pronounced on the left-most coin:
    upload_2020-11-1_8-41-43.png
    - although there could be some hair, especially on top of the head- mine are both relatively hairless.
    - as I have indents on both on the hind leg, I see the gouge on these coins as the defining indent of bulging hind leg muscles, I don't think countermark on your coin as much as worn die and/or engraver experimenting with representing a muscular elephant. For some reason this makes me think of 17-year-old Michelangelo studying anatomy:
    upload_2020-11-1_8-49-27.png
    - The tail on both of my coins is clearly seen behind

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  12. singig

singig Well-Known Member

I saw many superb coins here !!

Antoninus Pius Æ as. RIC 862a
    ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P TR P XII Laureate head right /
    MVNIFICENTA AVG Elephant standing right, COS IIII S C in ex.
    pius2.jpg

benhur767, Orielensis, Edessa and 7 others like this.
  13. DonnaML

That's a very nice example of the Metullus Pius Scipio, @Sulla80. The son or perhaps the grandson of the one who issued mine?

And thanks for trying to answer my questions. I still think there's some kind of fuzz along the top of the back of my elephant, unless it's just the equivalent of flow lines or some such thing.

As for the gouge around the left hind leg, I agree with you that it can't be the tail. Even though the tail of mine is mostly off the flan, you can still see the beginning of it, and it's clearly nowhere near the area I was speculating about. I like your idea of the engraver experimenting with showing musculature. Certainly the most plausible explanation anyone has come up with so far, although I do still like my idea of a dinosaur bite! And I think your idea is consistent with the way the elephant is depicted on the coin in general: by contrast to the other coins that I and others have posted in this thread -- all of which have elephants that look more seamless, like real animals -- the one on the Q. Caecilius Metullus Pius looks almost like a mechanical elephant, as if it's constructed out of different parts joined together, with the joins visible. See, for example, the trunk and legs and ear, etc. So perhaps the engravers of this design were all forward thinkers, showing off their vast knowledge of elephant anatomy!

Edessa, +VGO.DVCKS and Sulla80 like this.
  14. jdmKY

jdmKY Well-Known Member

2C67616B-4998-4CCD-A27B-C3C32C64B1C3.jpeg AB81127F-E478-4070-9219-4BCCDBC28885.jpeg 67125B50-E5E0-4D47-AEF0-8177D220ACE8.jpeg 70B0C3E0-6FF2-4880-8979-0609F8E47F28.jpeg 0F0B59DA-E1D5-4CB8-85CB-B8287F78F075.jpeg FC9015A1-A3C0-486C-8694-3E174CF6E386.jpeg FCBE92B1-FC45-4587-A95F-549C1EBDDEE1.jpeg 0856D77E-E02D-49BA-9F1A-874F0802785F.jpeg

More elephants - whole or headresses

akeady, PeteB, benhur767 and 9 others like this.
  15. Sulla80

Great coins! Here's a "presentation tray":
    upload_2020-11-1_11-55-40.png

16. Brian Bucklan

Brian Bucklan Well-Known Member

Interesting coins all. Here's one from Alexandria:

Trajan Ae Dichalkon, dated regnal year 16; 14mm, 1.3gms
    Obv: Laureate bust right
    Rev: Elephant walking right, LIS above
    Trajan Alexandria Elephant.jpg

benhur767, Orielensis, Edessa and 6 others like this.
  17. jdmKY

jdmKY Well-Known Member

Thanks so much, that looks super! Someday maybe I can upgrade my iPhone skills and do great work like that!

Sulla80 likes this.
  18. Sulla80

I find it hard to do photo editing on iPhone - easier with a laptop. I was tempted to make a joke about my daily rate being unchanged for 2000 years - still only two denarii a day or with longer term contracts 5 aurii a quarter....but couldn't quite figure out how to make that funny.

+VGO.DVCKS, DonnaML and jdmKY like this.
  19. jdmKY

jdmKY Well-Known Member

You’re hired! On second thought I can’t think of 2 denarii that I would part with.

+VGO.DVCKS, DonnaML and Sulla80 like this.
  20. DonnaML

I don't want to encourage this, but given that we're on page 3, and that a few people have done so anyway, I might as well post the two coins I have showing elephant-skin headdresses myself:

Nero, with Alexandria on the reverse wearing an elephant-skin headdress:

Nero-Alexandria (Alexandria Mint) Obv 2.jpg

Nero-Alexandria (Alexandria Mint) Rev 1.jpg

Septimius Severus with the personification of Africa on the reverse, with an elephant-skin headdress and a lion crouched at her feet:

Septimius Severus - Africa jpg version.jpg

Those poor unfortunate souls. I still far prefer my elephants non-dismembered!

21. benhur767

benhur767 Sapere aude

Great coins on this thread @DonnaML! I'm posting late but I have a few to share. It looks to me that by the third century, Roman artists had seen enough elephants to understand the anatomy pretty well.
    car_208_2013_1014_01_h.jpg
    Caracalla. AR denarius, Rome, 212 CE; 2.81g. BMCRE 47, Hill 1312, RIC 199, RSC 208. Obv: ANTONINVS PIVS – AVG BRIT; head laureate r. Rx: P M TR P XV H [sic] COS III P P; Elephant walking r.

The rev. die has been altered, with XV re-engraved over XIIII. The rev. die has been altered, with XV re-engraved over XIIII. The crossbar of what appears to be an “H” in the reverse legend likely denotes a deliberate typographical strikethrough of the obsolete date.

-------------
    car_208_2012_0810_01_h.jpg
    Caracalla. AR denarius, Rome, 212 CE; 18mm, 3.40g. BMCRE 47, Hill 1312, RIC 199, RSC 208. Obv: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG BRIT; head laureate r. Rx: P M TR P XV COS III P – P; Elephant walking r.

The rev. die has been altered, with XV re-engraved over XIIII.

-------------
    phi-i_017_2017_0604_01_h.jpg Philip I (the Arab). AR antoninianus. Rome, 249 CE; 21mm, 4.82g, 12h. RIC 58, RSC 17. Obv: IMP PHILIPPVS AVG; radiate and draped bust r. Rx: AETERNITAS AVGG; elephant walking l., bearing driver who holds goad and wand.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted