Elephant in Circus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 7Calbrey, Oct 24, 2016.

1. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

The existence of an elephant heading left on the reverse of a Seleucid coin did not surprise me. I was only fascinated by this huge animal raising something with its trunk. That seemed to me reminiscent of our modern circus today. Did such activities of fun and leisure with the use of wild animals exist in ancient times. So far we know the most clever use of elephants by ancient people was for the purpose of war battles. Glad to read your nice comments. Antiochu R     circus.JPG Antiochus O      Elephant.JPG

De Orc, ancientone, Dionysos and 18 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I'm sure animals were used to provide amusement but I like to think that these coins are celebrating war elephants from Antiocus' army.

[​IMG]
    Antiocus VI, ca. 148–142/1 BC
    Minted in Antioch - for some reason I didn't weigh and measure that coin.
    Obv.: Radiate head of Antiochus VI, wreathed with ivy.
    Rev.: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ / ΕΠΙΦΑΝΟΥΣ ∆ΙΟΝΥΣΟΥ; elephant walking left holding torch in trunk, ΣΤΑ above right, cornucopia right.

4. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Here is my interpretation of this coin. You say torch, I say dead enemy.:rolleyes:

20161024_162136.jpg

5. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

Here is a nice coin from India where the Elephant grabs the goad and chases the handler. Really wanted this coin, but it ended up going for twice my bid :wideyed::(:

VIJAYANAGAR: Devaraya II, 1426-1466, AE kasu (4.02g), Mitch-1998:630, elephant right, mahout running before, holding goad

[​IMG]

De Orc, ancientone, Dionysos and 16 others like this.
  6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

WOW! The elephants must have been in charge of coin design that year :D

7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

8. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I only have one elephant.
    JC elepahnt denarius NN.jpg

9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Oooow, good idea ... can we do more than one?

Augustus Elephant Sestertius.jpg

elephant & lion.jpg

elephant.jpg

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

10. Sallent

It's not how many elephants you have that counts, but what they are made of. Silver, delicious!

Appollodotus I Bactrian Drachm.jpg

11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

ahaha lawyer, do you have any bronze coins? (if not, you're totally missing out)

Bronze is this year's gold

12. Sallent

I have 63 coins... Two are bronze and cost me $0.00 USD, which is probably why I have them.

I do plan to eventually add some non-silver coins to my collection. Maybe in a year or so I'd love to set aside my hunt for ancient and medieval silver and pick up a few Byzantine, Indian, and Islamic gold coins.

I'm also not opposed to picking up some high quality billon (ie. silver rich billon). In fact, two of my coins are actually high silver content Billon. I'd love to add some more.

It may be cheaper to also do bronze, but I just like silver a lot. I was a huge silver bug back in the day and built up a huge stack of silver bars when silver was $5 an ounce. Sold it all when it got past $25. I guess my ancient and medieval silver obsession is due to my irrational love of the metal. I no longer stack silver bars. Now I collect ancient silver.

Deacon Ray and Theodosius like this.
  13. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Yay, I have one to.
    20160910_180037.jpg 20160910_180006.jpg

14. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

15. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I never get tired of an elephant thread. This one arrived last week, and here's a bit of an analysis...

Seleucus IV, compelled by a heavy Roman war indemnity, sent his minister Heliodorus to Jerusalem to seize the Jewish temple treasury. The riches of the temple were renowned throughout the Levant by this time.

The Bible tells of a prophecy given by a messenger angel in Daniel 11:20 (NLT). The text states that Seleucus "will be remembered as the king who sent a tax collector to maintain the royal splendor." The deuterocanonical lends more to this in 2 Maccabees 3:2-3... "It came to pass that even the kings themselves, and the princes esteemed the place [the Temple in Jerusalem] worthy of the highest honour, and glorified the temple with very great gifts: So that Seleucus king of Asia allowed out of his revenues all the charges belonging to the ministry of the sacrifices." -
    wiki

It’s by no means clear what Heliodorus accomplished in Jerusalem, but when he returned to Antioch he assassinated Seleucus and briefly held power as a usurper until ousted by Antiochus IV Epiphanes. (I’m guessing that one way or another, Heliodorus made off with a lot of loot in Judaea - you don’t attempt a coup without substantial monetary resources.)

Elephants were an important part of the Seleucid war machine and are occasionally found on the coinage, sometimes in full, sometimes just the head, as on this type. The woman on the obverse is generally agreed to be Laodice IV, Seleucus’ sister and wife.

seleukos 7.jpg

Seleukos IV, 187-175 BC
    Æ serrate denomination C, 15mm, 3.2g, 12h; Antioch on Orontes.
    Obv.: Veiled head of Laodice IV (?) right.
    Rev.: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ΣEΛEYKOY; Head of elephant left, AT monogram to right.
    Reference: SNG Spaer 914

16. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Titus 5.jpg
    TITUS
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: IMP TITVS CAES VESPASIAN AVG P M, laureate head right
    REVERSE: TRP IX IMP XV COS VIII PP, elephant walking left
    Struck at Rome, 80 AD
    2.5g, 17mm
    RIC 115

PHILIP I 6.jpg
    PHILIP I
    AE Sestertius
    OBVERSE: IMP M IVL PHILIPPVS AVG, laureate and draped bust right
    REVERSE: AETERNITAS AVGG, elephant and driver walking left, SC in ex.
    Struck at Rome, 247-8 AD
    20.6g, 28mm
    RIC 161a

17. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Did someone order elephants?
    g265.jpg
    Antiochus I
    Mint: Antioch
    AE 14
    281 to 261 BC
    Obvs: Macedonian shield with Seleukid anchor in central boss.
    Revs: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY, Horned elephant walking right. ME monogram and club above, jawbone in exergue.
    18x19mm, 6.37g

g250.jpg
    Antiochus VI
    143/142 BC
    AE Serrate
    Obvs: No inscription. Antiochus radiate head right,
    within dotted border.
    Revs: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY EΠIФANOYΣ
    ΔIONYΣOY, Elephant walking left. Star behind, ΣTA
    22x23mm, 7.94g

g256.jpg
    Antiochus VI
    143/142 BC
    AE Serrate
    Obvs: No inscription. Antiochus radiate head right,
    within dotted border.
    Revs: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY EΠIФANOYΣ
    ΔIONYΣOY, Elephant walking left. Cornucopia behind, ΣTA
    22x23mm, 8.45g

g155.jpg
    Demetrios I
    162 to 150 BC
    AE 17 serrate
    Obvs: No inscription, head of bridled horse left.
    Revs: BAΣΙΛEΩΣ ΔHMHTPIOY, Elephant head right.
    17mm, 3.5g

g072.jpg
    Apameia
    69 BC
    AE 23
    Obvs: Laureate head of Zeus right.
    Revs: ΛπΛMEΩN THΣIEPΛΣ KΛIΛΣYΛOY, Elephant right, ΓMΣ in field. MM in ex.
    23mm, 10.9g

18. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

neat elephants!

i've seen some dealers list that reverse type (7C's coin) as being an elephant holding a torch...looks sort of like that.

i don't have a torch elephant, but here is my first seleucid coin....

double animal score...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

De Orc, Mikey Zee, ancientone and 9 others like this.
  19. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

No elephants to show myself, but I love all the types. It was not too long ago that I learned about the Carthaginian general, Hannibal, crossing the Alps with his War Elephants to take on the Romans.

20. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

"Hannibal. Hannibal et Elephantum! Totus elephantum, millum elephantum, infinitatum elephantum!"
    "Infinitatum elephantum est mathematicalis impossibilitatis."

(Five points to anyone who gets the reference...)

Anyway, after seeing the discussion of Satavahana elephant coins here recently, I just had to get my own. This one is missing a bit of the elephant's trunk, but it cost less than $20, so I count it as a pretty good deal:
    Satavahana.jpg

De Orc, Mikey Zee, ancientone and 9 others like this.
  21. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Very cool! I need a square coin or two in my collection. I've had my eye on an Indo-Scythian coin for a while.

Draft saved Draft deleted