Elephant coin with anchor counterstamp

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by rrdenarius, Sep 26, 2018.

1. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Seleucid Kingdom  ANTIOCHUS III THE GREAT elephant anchor cgb 9.25.18.jpg
    I picked up an interesting piece that is a bit outside of my collecting area this week. I do not have the coin yet, so I am posting the seller's pics. This snack is not as nice as the one @Ken Dorney posted this week, but it has two neat counterstamps. One is an upward pointed anchor. I think most of the anchors from this part of the world pointed their anchors this way on coins.

SYRIA - Seleucid Kingdom - ANTIOCHUS III THE GREAT; 223-187 BC, Æ 21; Uncertain Syrian Mint
    OBVERSE - Laureate head of Antiochus with the features of Apollo facing right, no legend. Truth be told, there is not much of a face on this coin.
    REVERSE - Elephant with a mahout going right, on the left other coins have a tripod (or anchor), but a countermark covers this feature. A Ma·hout is a person in South and Southeast Asia who works with, rides, and tends an elephant. BASILEWS// ANTIOCOU, from King Antiochus. Two countermarks are visible on the reverse: an anchor, left, and a horse's head between the legs of the elephant. A few similar coins have anchor and horse head countermarks. An anchor is often used on Seleucid coins.
    Metal : bronze
    Diameter : 21,5 mm
    Orientation dies : 12 h.
    Weight : 9,22 g.
    Rarity : R2

COMENTS ON THE CONDITION: (In French from the seller) Exemplaire sur un flan épais. Joli revers. Le droit est plus marqué par les traces de circulation. Patine vert foncé… In English – well worn coin on a thick flan.

· Wear – Obv. AG / Rev. VG; the reverse shows most features and much of the lettering; the obverse is more worn by circulation. Both sides have scratches.
    · Strike – probably a good strike, but hard to tell due to wear. High relief on reverse means that elephant and rider are still visible; casting sprews still on coin.
    · Centering – good
    · Dark green patina.

Antiochus III, second son of Seleucus II, succeeded his brother Seleucus III in 223 BC He had first put down the revolt of Molon, satrap of Media, who had revolted and was eliminated in 220 BC Having made the mistake of entrusting the military command of Asia Minor Achaeus his uncle, the latter revolted and Antiochus overcame the revolt after the taking of Sardis in 214 BC, beheaded The usurper, he then restored the Seleucid power in Parthia and Bactria. After the defeat of Philip V and having received Cynoscephalae Hannibal exile, he became an implacable enemy of the Romans. After a first series of victories, he was finally defeated at Thermopylae and Magnesia in 189 BC He had to sign the Peace of Apamea in the following year, devoting the Roman hegemony and the end of the Seleucid domination Asia Minor, leaving Pergamon arbiter of the situation. He was assassinated in 187 BC.

Sulla80, PeteB, Ryro and 25 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Interesting coin with lots of history. I'm looking for one of these myself. Anchors on Seleucid coins are found with flukes up and down, not sure which is more prevalent? A similar coin also with a countermark.
    g265.jpg
    Antiochus I
    Mint: Antioch
    AE 14
    281 to 261 BC
    Obvs: Macedonian shield with Seleukid anchor in central boss.
    Revs: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY, Horned elephant walking right. ME monogram and club above, jawbone in exergue.
    18x19mm, 6.37g
    Ref: SC 339.4; HGC 10, 148(S)
    Note: Counter mark above elephant

An an anchor but actually should be shown sideways so the inscription is upright.
    g294.jpg
    Demetrios II, FIRST REIGN
    Mint: Perhaps Seleucia in Pieria
    146 to 138 BC
    Obvs: Diademed head of Demetrios II right within dotted border.
    Revs: BAΣΙΛEΩΣ ΔHMHTPIOY in two lines on right, NIKATOPEΣ on left. Anchor, flukes upward. Lily/Lotus flower inner right.
    AE 16x17mm, 3.90g
    Ref: cf. SC 1928; HGC 10, 1008(R2)
    Note: Unpublished with control mark unlisted. This mark only noted for drachms.

Ryro, galba68, Pavlos and 13 others like this.
  4. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

Even though it doesn't have the details I prefer for condition I really like this one and would have got it if I saw for sale at a decent price I like the elephant and bold Cs. Still alot of character left on the reverse.

Marsyas Mike and rrdenarius like this.
  5. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

Those are both nice specimens I like the second best.

Marsyas Mike and David@PCC like this.
  6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Here's a tiny (12 mm) elephant from Antiochos III:

Antiochus III elephant.jpg

Ryro, Alegandron, galba68 and 14 others like this.
  7. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

I really like that OP, rrdenarius. Countermarks are fascinating and I have just started accumulating a few myself. No elephants in this post, but here is a Ptolemy from Egypt with a Seleucid anchor countermark on the eagle's "shoulder" (do eagles have shoulders?). It suffers from an inexpert cleaning among other things. As with many countermarked coins it "tells two stories" - the original Ptolemaic issue and its later Seleucid capture and re-issue:

Egypt - Ptolemy VI w Seleucid CM Jun 2018 (0).jpg

Ptolemy VI - Sole Reign Lotus
    Blossom Series
    (c. 180-170 B.C.) Æ 24

Diademed head Zeus-Ammon / ΠΤΟΛΕΜΑΙΟΥ BΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ; Eagle with wings closed standing left on thunderbolt [EYΔ between legs?] lotus blossom to left.
    Countermark: Seleucid Anchor Svoronos 1398 (w. countermark)
    (14.00 grams / 24 mm)

Broucheion, Ryro, Alegandron and 10 others like this.
  8. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Very nice coin @rrdenarius the counterstamps make for a very pleasing look. I have one small AE of Antiochos III that I have posted before.
    Gx6yY5Sm2r7BwMe79wrNP8ye3jiJmK.jpg
    The anchor was a personal symbol of the dynastic founder Seleukos I. He claimed to be the son of Apollo and that the god had given a golden ring with an engraved anchor on it to his mother. As a sign of his divine origin he claimed to have an anchor birth mark. The anchor appears on many Seleucid coins. Here is a tet of Seleukos I Nikator with an anchor as a control mark.
    60135q00.jpg

Ryro, galba68, Pavlos and 10 others like this.
  9. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Very nice coins David. The selection of Seleucids you post is always impressive. Is that your primary collecting focus?

10. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

I was not aware of the story behind Seleukos I and the anchor, interesting. Thanks for sharing.
    I have several coins with anchors. This group has 4 Seleucid anchors. One is a counterstamp. All point up!
    DSCN2238.JPG
    I have two cast bronze anchors. One points up and one points down.
    aes grave quadrans tuder frog anchor AA obv no 2.jpg aes grave quadrans tuder frog anchor AA rev.jpg DSCN1191.JPG DSCN1190.JPG
    Most of the later, Imperial anchors point down. Unfortunately, this Domitian is not mine.
    Domitial den anchor AA obv.jpg Domitial den anchor AA rev.jpg

Ryro, Pavlos, Volodya and 7 others like this.
  11. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Thanks! It is one on the areas I am most involved with, though I suspect that is what I will be known for after my new site is up. I am still missing 5 rulers to complete the entire dynasty of 30 kings/queens. CNG had some great bronzes recently that I had to pass on because my budget was blown on "persecution" issues, though not before I picked up a few Seleucids from other dealers :shame:

12. Marsyas Mike

Pulling up an old post because I just got an example very similar to rrdenarius' OP and wanted to share it. I think mine is the same host coin but I am not certain (this is my first Seleucid elephant and I don't know much about them - I am not sure if I see the Mahout or not). The countermarks are the same and put in the same place: an anchor and a horse head. It is 21 mm and weighs 8.01 grams.

Countermarks - Seleucid elephant Apr 2019 (0).jpg

While researching these countermarks, I found some very interesting information on "A Survey of Ancient Coins" blog: http://guberman.blogspot.com/2009/08/greeceseleucid-antiochus-iii-bce-223.html

This is apparently a military issue. I quote from this blog:

"Cf. SC I, pp. 411-412 for additional information.

According to SC I, Appendix 2, pp. 66-68, "The...bronzes were apparently countermarked first with a horse head, and later with an anchor, to make them "equivalent" to later issues of similar type that had these symbols in the die. The countermarking was probably an aspect of currency regulation by the military: The Seleucid army needed to impose the use of this fiduciary coinage on the population of Ptolemaic Coele Syria during the Fifth Syrian War in order to ensure provisions for its troops." (p. 66)"

PeteB, Ryro, rrdenarius and 6 others like this.
  13. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

I did a write up about this coin if anyone is interested:

[​IMG]
    Antiochos III Megas (223 B.C. - 187 B.C.) Bronze Coin. Military mint in Ekbatana ca. 210 B.C. and countermarked in Coele-Syria during Fifth Syrian War Ca. 202-198 B.C.
    Obverse:
    Laureate head of Antiochos III as Apollo right, doted border.
    Reverse: ΒΑΣΙΛEΩΣ ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ. Elephant right, ridden by mahout, two countermarks: anchor in oblong punch in left field and horse's head in square punch under elephant’s belly.

Soldiers received two kinds of pay. Opsonion(regular wages) was due at the end of the month in peacetime, but in wartime could be paid at other established intervals or postponed until the end of the campaign. Sitarchia (provision money) replaced actual rations, allowing the troops to provision themselves in advance, often at specially regulated markets. Sitarchia was payable at the beginning of the month and obviously could not be postponed or allowed to fall in arrears. Opsonion and Sitarchia each average about 3 to 4 obols per day, or 15-20 drachms per month. These payments of 15-20 drachms would most conventiently be rendered in silver. However, there is meager evidence for the circulation of silver coins of Antiochos III in Coele-Syria, leaving bronze as the only medium of payment for the Seleukid army during the Fifth Syrian War. Quite possibly the Opsonion was paid in silver after the army withdrew from Coele-Syria. But Sitarchia, which have to be provided regulary, came in the form of bronze coins. This was certaintly more practical for the soldiers than 15-20 drachms, since prices from both Egypt and Babylonia indicate that a drachm would purchase a month’s supply of Barley for an individual and two drachms about a month’s supply of wheat. Fractions were therefore needed to purchase food to be consumed in lesser quantity. This was obviously also in advantage for military expenses, as bronze had only a low intrinsic value. Such bronze coinage was likely not greeted in a contested region accustomed to Ptolemaic currency. These bronzes with doubtful instrinsic value issued by the Seleukid king would almost certainly be worthless for them. However, it seems inevitable that some degree of coercion was required to ensure acceptance for these Seleukid bronze coins, which was essential for the functioning of the army.

The elephant bronzes with mahout of Antiochos III were struck at different times and at different parts in the Seleukid Empire, but all were associated with military operations and soldiers' pay. The earlier types were struck at a military mint associated with Ekbatana around 210 B.C., and the later ones come from a military mint operating of Coele-Syria during the Fifth Syrian War. The horse's head below the elephant and the anchor in the left field indicates this copies the later issues of Coele-Syria. This was to make the older bronzes ‘equalivant’ to subsequent issues with a horse head symbol under the elephant’s belly and a tripod or anchor in the left field. It served to reiterate the basic guarentee of the value of these military bronze coins in the face of local uncertainty. The Seleukid army needed to impose the use of this fiduciary coinage on the population of Ptolemaic Coele-Syria during the Fifth Syrian War in order to ensure provisions for its troops. The Seleukid retreat in spring 200 BC will have created a particular need to revalidate these coins when the Seleukids again advanced after the battle of Pantion. The bronzes were apparently first countermarked with a horse head, and later with an anchor.

[​IMG]
    Example of a subsequent issued coin from military mint during the Fifth Syrian War with an anchor left of the elephant (late issue).

Notice the much less circulation wear on the above coin compared to mine. My coin may have circulated 12 years long until the above coin got minted and had most probably touched a lot of soldier's hands.

eparch, rrdenarius, PeteB and 7 others like this.
  14. Marsyas Mike

Heck yeah, I'm interested - this is great stuff here! Thanks for sharing it. This is exactly the kind of background information that makes collecting ancients such a rewarding pastime. Thanks again.

Pavlos and Roman Collector like this.
  15. Marsyas Mike

I am pulling up this thread yet again because I recently got another Seleucid horsehead countermark (but no anchor) on an elephant AE. This is different than the one I posted above.

Here is the new one - the horse head is bigger - and the host coin is considerably heavier than my first one:

CM - Seleucid Ant. III horse head Jan 2020 (0).jpg

Seleucid Kingdom Æ 24
    Antiochos III the Great
    Military mint in Ekbatana
    c. 210 B.C. / countermarked in Coele-Syria c. 202-198 B.C.

Antiochos III as Apollo right / [ΒΑΣΙΛEΩΣ ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ], elephant & mahout right, [tripod & monogram?]. SC 1272
    Countermark: Horse head.
    (14.06 grams / 24 mm)

Here is the one I posted above (new photo) - smaller horse head:

CM - Seleucid Ant. III horse head & anchor Ap 2019 (0).jpg

Seleucid Kingdom Æ 21
    Antiochos III the Great Military mint in Ekbatana c. 210 B.C. / countermarked in Coele-Syria c. 202-198 B.C.

Antiochos III as Apollo right / ΒΑΣΙΛEΩΣ ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ, elephant & mahout right.
    CM: Anchor & Horse’s Head
    SC 1084e; ESM 656; Spaer
    819-821
    (8.01 grams / 21 mm)

Here are the two of them together - note the size/weight difference:

CM - Seleucid Ant. III horse head anchor 2 types 2020 (0).jpg

For both of these I am attaching this note:

"The...bronzes were apparently countermarked first with a horse head, and later with an anchor...The Seleucid army needed to impose the use of this fiduciary
    coinage on the population of Ptolemaic Coele Syria during the Fifth Syrian War in order to ensure provisions for its troops."
    SC I, Appendix 2, (p. 66)

How are my attributions? I'm not confident. It looks a lot like the one Pavlos posted above. But maybe the new one is not Seleucid? I found a Pontus-Ptolemaic Kingdom that looks a lot like my host:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=6287880

Any information on this newest one would be enormously appreciated. Is it the "horse head" issue the same for both of these (beyond the obvious size differences)? Did some of these just miss the later anchor countermark?

And thank you all for enduring my countermark obsessions :shame:

rrdenarius, Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
  16. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Your new coin is this one from CNG
    Screenshot_20200203-102147_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Minted around 210 BC and is #1275. These are believed to be connected to the 5th Syrian war as indicated in this thread.

Johndakerftw, Bing and Marsyas Mike like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted