Elemetal 2 oz Privateer Ultra High Relief Silver Round

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by silverbullion, Apr 18, 2015.

1. silverbullion

silverbullion Active Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Cool design.

silverbullion likes this.
  4. silverbullion

Very cool indeed, not even to mention the size and the price. ;)

5. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

If that coin (token for those that wish to be correct in all ways ;) ) toned blue and purple, I bet it would be even better. :) I like it!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The reverse of each Elemetal Privateer Silver Round features a breathtaking scene which includes: The stern of a pirate ship, rough seawaters, fluttering sails and the moon that peaks out behind some clouds.

What amazing balderdash. It's no wonder the sails are fluttering, the ship is headed more or less into the wind, judging by the pennant, the ship is taken aback, as am I by the illiteracy of the person who thinks the moon 'peaks' out from the clouds it is peeking out of. And how remarkable for a ship that is so beset in those 'seawaters' (ugh) that it is dead upright. Pirates, privateers, or whatever did not use ships with elaborate sterncastles, that look as if they'd sail like pork barrels. They used small, fast ships crammed with men and used treachery and subterfuge to attack, not cannon in pitched battles.

A privateer was a privately owned ship sailing with official 'Letters of Marque and Reprisal' against a specified enemy country, in effect an auxiliary navel vessel for the country issuing the letters of marque. A corsair was simply another word for pirate.

Pirates were ruthless criminals of the worst sort, who could quite legally be hanged on the spot if captured. Why celebrate such scum? By romaticising pirates you agree that murder, rape and pillage are fine and noble if they happened a couple or three hundred years ago, presumably because back then the people were all animals,or immune from loss or suffering.

Finally, of course, if you want to buy silver you buy the nearest to spot price that you can, not something all dolled up with a bunch of parasites taking a cut that you will be paying for.

And post-finally, it's not a 'coin'.

7. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

7.00 premium over spot seems pretty high for stackers, but reasonable for the design if someone just wants a cool silver round.

8. afantiques

Not a coin, not a coin, not a coin.................

9. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

Who cares who cares who cares

10. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Geez, no need for a temper tantrum. I edited my post for you. Serenity now, serenity now...

silverbullion and Tinpot like this.
  11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Coin collectors and numismatists

chromerunner likes this.
  12. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Oṃ maṇi padme hūṃ

13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Had to google that one Ken........

Kentucky, silverbullion and Kirkuleez like this.
  14. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

The anal ones do I guess, I qualify for the above and yet it doesn't bother me at all.

15. coop

coop Senior Member

It does make an interesting picture:
    [​IMG]

rooman9, USS656, midas1 and 2 others like this.
  16. silverbullion

ARR, Matey! Take a seat. English is not my first language and I've never claimed perfection. Nonetheless, thank you for pointing out my mistake in terms of the moon and the clouds, which I've corrected now. In fact, to give you an idea in terms of where I am coming from, perhaps you could translate the following for us into perfect English:

"Is U altyd so suurknol of het 'n brommer in U drinkwater geval vanoggend?"

If not, don't you think that I am at liberty to be "taken back" by your illiteracy? I will of course try not to be so uptight about it, because my parents taught me to be polite and that it is almost never a good idea to ram the door at the first available opportunity.

In addition to the above, privateer can refer to either a private person or a ship authorized by a government by letters of marque and reprisal to attack foreign vessels during wartime. This while the word corsair can be used to refer to either a pirate or a privateer. The relevant silver round is also not about the celebration of scum as you so coarsely state, but about privateers, the "good" guys that were licensed by government to act as agents. This while pirates were unlicensed non-state agents. Nonetheless, many don't revere pirates, because of murder, rape and pillage, but on the back of the idea that one can be out there on the open seas, living a life free of bondage, perceived or real.

Furthermore, many governments were and are at the forefront of murder, rape and pillage, so I hope you're not embracing any legal tender coins. If not, I would find your stance rather hypocritical to say the least.

"if you want to buy silver you buy the nearest to spot price that you can, not something all dolled up with a bunch of parasites taking a cut that you will be paying for" - I am sure your conviction is not shared by all. Many buy "dolled up" silver and is willing to pay extra towards the "parasites", because without the "parasites" none of the pieces would exist and the market would most likely not be this large. People should be at liberty to buy what they like and like what they buy.

Jason Hoffpauir, green18 and Tinpot like this.
  17. silverbullion

Sloops, fast and compact warships, were favorites of pirates and privateers, but they did use larger ships as well.

18. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Anybody familiar with silver bullion rounds produced by the ElemetalMint? I wondering if the quality of the
    2oz UHR privateer round is worth the 25% premium over spot?

19. silverbullion

It is a new mint, so the jury is still out for most part, but it was formed by relatively established players in the market. OPM for one, the largest American refiner of "good delivery" gold and silver, has been around since 1974.

I don't believe the quality will be that bad, especially considering that they are selling it as IRA approved silver rounds. However, whether the quality justifies the $3.75 over spot certainly stands to be seen, especially considering that it is promotional pricing. I hear you on the 25%, but to be fair towards them, the higher the silver price, the lower the premium will be expressed as a percentage.

This silver round is of course not for the hard-core silver stacker that is hoping to buy silver for as low a price as possible. If the aim is to avoid "dolled up" silver and to buy silver "nearest to spot", then deals such as the following make more sense:

http://newcoinreleases.com/weekend-daily-alert-lot-of-5-mcm-star-round-silver-maple-leafs/

http://newcoinreleases.com/1-ounce-silver-buffalo-round-promo-1-over-free-shipping-limit-2/

One might of course be in the fortunate position to pick silver up for cheaper at a LCS, but many folks don't have the opportunity to do so.

20. afantiques

Is U altyd so suurknol of het 'n brommer in U drinkwater geval vanoggend?"

Your colloquial Afrikaans means "are you always so superior or was there something nasty in your drink this morning."

If you are going to advertise your wares on Coin Talk expect some criticism.

I am usually pretty nice to those who do not offend me by trying to sell stuff on a discussion board. There is a section for items for sale which I can safely ignore.

I notice the advertisement has been edited to include some of my information, so just as a note, 'seawater' has no plural.

21. silverbullion

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up, however, is optional. Happy Birthday, afantiques!

midas1 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted