electrolytic deoxidation examples

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bruthajoe, Dec 10, 2019.

1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

On those bright shiny moderns, there was no appreciable patina or surface toning. Hence the electrolysis had nothing to remove - and thus the luster was unaffected. His experiment shows nothing.

bruthajoe and Oldhoopster like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'm still uncertain about this. The flow lines are, as you say, microscopic -- but non-terminal toning involves layers of submicroscopic thickness, on the order of a wavelength of visible light, right? So it seems to me that it would take several iterations of toning and dipping/electrolyzing to wipe out those significantly-deeper flow lines...?

4. bruthajoe

bruthajoe Still Recovering

I'm not refuting anything. I'm just stating what I'm doing here, it's pretty simple. The guy wanted to know if it effects cartwheel. I guess it might, but I can't see any difference.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Some clarification is needed here I think.

I suspect that what Charles actually means is to - never ever harshly clean your coins. It is a common practice for a great many people to use the word clean, cleaned, cleaning when what they are really talking about is harsh cleaning. Short and sweet they are using a contraction of the correct terminology.

Not exactly. Literally tens of millions of coins have been dipped, fully 80% or more of all older coins. And as everyone knows dipping removes toning/tarnish by removing the top layer of metal. However, as long as coin is dipped correctly the luster is not destroyed - far from it in fact. Millions and millions of dipped coins have gorgeous booming luster ! Even coins that were toned fully black have been successfully dipped to reveal booming luster underneath.

That said, there are times when the toning has progressed to the point that it has already destroyed the luster. And when those coins are dipped a flat, lifeless surface is what remains. And, there are also times when the dipping is done incorrectly and the luster is destroyed.

The truly important point is that the proper, correct cleaning of coins is not only a good thing, it is quite often a necessary thing - in order to protect the coin from certain destruction ! There are countless examples of this. And it is only from experimentation, coupled with proper instruction, that one can learn how to do this. As well as, when to do it, and when not to do it.

It can be correctly said that learning how is the easy part. But learning when, and when not to - that is the hard part.

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Electrolysis doesn't actually remove the oxidation, it removes a surface layer of the metal and that takes the oxidation products along with it. And yes if done briefly the cartwheel luster can remain, but the longer the current is applied the more the luster will diminish until it is gone, just like with over dipping. And eventually you will find you have a nice metal plating on your graphite. The metal coming from the surface of the coin.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  7. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Oh that that were true. Too many collectors like shiny silver coins, and dealers are willing to give their customers what they want.

Cash flow trumps historic tarnish.

8. bruthajoe

Exactly

9. Colonialjohn

Colonialjohn Active Member

THis is why I never push my copper cleaning product ... since the removal of Freon TF from the original Coin Care awhile ago we have currently CRAP on the market which indirectly leads to the current generation of collectors indicating there is no way to clean coins. Heard a rumor lately a common process used by TPG's in the restoration process is hydrogen peroxide probably in a Distilled Water Mix via an ultrasonic bath. Seems reasonable? In terms of my cleaner I was fortunate to work in a governemnt contract business that was forced to find eventually a subtitute for Freon TF which eventually was also BANNED from using this magic ingredient around 4-5 years ago based on a USEPA directive. The rest is history ... <VVBG>.
    P.S. Not sure what you mean flow lines are microscopic? Theu are quite visible under a stereo microscope in the 20-40X range - ALWAYS. Buy one!

John Lorenzo
    Numismatist
    United States

10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Now, that's a fascinating notion. Peroxide for fine-grained fizz around surface contaminants, with ultrasound to agitate them away. Hmm.

11. bruthajoe

Can you clear this up... Freon tf to dry clean coins? similar to freon 113 to clean clothing. Vapor degreasing with a solvent ???

12. bruthajoe

Peroxide might only remove organic contamination. Maybe more with ultrasound. ??

13. bruthajoe

I've been convinced to attempt to illustrate negative effects, if any, on cartwheel/luster due to this electrolytic deoxidation method. I chose a simple modern penny with moderate oxidation and for potential "hidden luster". The penny was subject to 4 treatments(represented by images 2-4 with luster becoming more apparent with each treatment followed by two close-ups, images 6&7. The first image being untreated baseline and the last image with poles reversed showing obvious destruction) all at approximately 30 second intervals while measuring the voltage across the positive cathode? and the solution. Voltage would initially be at 6-7 DC with a 4-5 volt drop during the processes.
    This seems contrary to the common galvanic method that the anode is positive and cathode is the negative electrode. The reaction at the anode is oxidation and that at the cathode is reduction. The positive anode would attract anions toward it, while the negative cathode attracts cations toward it. ... In any electrochemical cell (electrolytic or galvanic) the electrode at which reduction occurs is called the cathode. The positive electrode, on the other hand, will attract negative ions (anions) toward itself.Jun 16, 2019
    LibreTexts › chem › Bookshelves
    17.1: Electrolysis - Chemistry LibreTexts
    Very confusing to say the least but these are the results as tested with the method in reference with the coin being a "negative anode"?....

Attached Files:

14. Steven Hufschmidt

Steven Hufschmidt Active Member

Soap and water hahahahahaha

bruthajoe likes this.
  15. bruthajoe

Soap and water does not do this... IMG_20200123_220907.jpg IMG_20200123_221357.jpg ha-ha

Draft saved Draft deleted