Elagabalus and Maesa from Marcianopolis -- Dikaiosyne

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Dikaiosyne (Latin Aequitas) personifies equity and fairness, particularly in commercial affairs. Her attributes are scales and cornucopiae, or measuring rod, patera and branch.

A coin I've had for a while, but I rephotographed it today. It has one of those hard-to-photograph, nearly black patinas. I like this because it's exceptionally well-centered and has complete legends on both sides. This was struck under two different consular legates: Julius Antonius Seleucus (AD 220-221) and Sergius Titianus (AD 221-222), which allow these coins to be dated with some certainty. I like how well Dikaiosyne is rendered -- the engraver was exceptionally talented.

I also like how the engraver has used dots to separate the words in the legends. Some of the dots are visible in the photo, but all noted in my description are visible in hand. I also like how the Cs are rendered in a block-like fashion, like an E without the middle bar. Unfortunately, there is no block-like C in Unicode to depict this.

Post your coins with Dikaiosyne/Aequitas, Elagabalus and Maesa, or anything you feel is relevant!

Elagabalus and Maesa Marcianopolis Dikaiosyne.jpg
    Elagabalus, Augustus AD 218-222, with grandmother, Julia Maesa, Augusta AD 218-224/5.
    Roman provincial Æ pentassarion, 14.55 g, 28.4 mm, 12:00.
    Moesia Inferior, Marcianopolis, under Legate Julius Antonius Seleucus, AD 220-221.
    Obv: ΑVΤ•Κ•Μ•ΑVΡΗ•ΑΝΤΩΝΕΙΝΟC•ΙΟVΛΙΑ•ΜΑΙCΑ•ΑVΓ•, Laureate head of Elagabalus, right, facing diademed and draped bust of Julia Maesa, left.
    Rev: VΠ•ΙΟV•ΑΝΤ•CΕΛΕVΚΟV ΜΑΡΚΙΑΝΟΠΟΛΙ-ΤΩΝ, Dikaiosyne standing left, holding scales and cornucopiae; E (5) in field, right
    Refs: Moushmov --; AMNG 962; Varbanov 1620; Mionnet S. 2, 101, 273; similar to BMC 3. 36, 63.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Oh wow that is fantastic!! Elagabalus confronted with his puppeteer grandmother? Superduper awesome and I'm nine shades of green :D.

Here's a provincial Maesa. She looks young and lovely on this coin.
    [​IMG]
    PHOENICIA, Tyre. Julia Maesa
    CE 218-224/5
    AE 27, 12.71g (11h)
    Obv: IVLIA MAE - SA AV[G] Draped bust right, wearing stephane
    Rev: TVRIORVM Dido (?) standing left on deck of galley sailing right, extending right hand and holding cornucopia in left; to left, helmsman bending left over rudder (?); to right, sailor extending right hand and holding curved staff in left; stern decorated with a shield and aphlaston, [two murex shells] in exergue
    Ref: CNG e320, 12 Feb. 2014, lot 323 (same dies). Rouvier 2408

Jochen1, gogili1977, Andres2 and 11 others like this.
  4. Roman Collector

That's a gorgeous coin, @TIF and I love the reverse, which has something other than such-and-such-deity standing.

TIF likes this.
  5. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

My only featuring Dikaiosyne:

[​IMG]
    Probus, AD 276-282
    Potin, tetradrachm, 7.5g, 20mm; 11h; Alexandria, AD 276/277 (regnal year 2)
    Obv.: A K M AVP PPO-BOC CEB; laureate cuirassed bust right
    Rev.: LB; Dikaiosyne standing left holding scales & cornucopiae

6. tenbobbit

tenbobbit Well-Known Member

Nice coin RC and I agree with you regarding TIF's coin, stunner.
    My offering, not Dikaiosyne but is Elagabalus & Grandma.
    My poor picture, well centered strike on a generous flan.
    IMG_4978.JPG IMG_4979.JPG
    Ae Pentassarion - 28mm, Weight 13.17g. Varbanov 1609
    Marcianopolis, Legate - Sergius Titianus
    Obverse - Athena standing L, holding Patera & Sceptre. Shield to left ( small N to right ) Large E in left field ( mark of value )

7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Another stunner!!

8. Roman Collector

Lovely coin! I like Maesa's dour countenance. That's AMNG (Pick) p. 278, no. 975, which notes that the specimen in the Naples museum collection is a reverse die-match to yours.

9. arashpour

arashpour Well-Known Member

No julia Maesa but how about her daughter mamaea?

JuliaMamaea.jpg

TIF, gogili1977, Bing and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted