Elagabalus’ Priapus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Multatuli, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Multatuli

Multatuli Homo numismaticus

Last week, this coin was delivered at my home. It's been a long time since I've been looking for a piece like this. It was not very easy to find. In Greek mythology, Priapus was a minor rustic fertility god, protector of livestock, fruit plants, gardens and male genitalia. Priapus is marked by his oversized, permanent erection, which gave rise to the medical term priapism. He became a popular figure in Roman erotic art and Latin literature, and is the subject of the often humorously obscene collection of verse called the Priapeia. Priapus and his giant phallus represent three different kinds of prosperity: growth, represented by his enormous phallus; affluence and fertility, symbolized by the basket of fruit at his phallus.
    2935B94E-13D2-4859-8E01-5CDBD9FD8139.jpeg
    Elagabalus. Moesia, Nicopolis ad Istrum Mint 218-222 AD. Obverse: AYT K M AVR ANTWNINOS Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right. Reverse: NIKOPOLITWN PROC ICTROPriapus standing left, holding patera and basket of fruits set on phallus. References: Varbanov 3863 Scarce. Size: 17mm, 2.63g.

Ithyphallic coins are relatively frequent in antiquity, with classic examples being minted in Siris, Thasos, and of course from the Roman period of the Severian dynasty minted in Nicopolis ad Istrum.
    Such coins demonstrate how much there were no problems related to bodily exposure, considered natural (including corporeal bodily perfection as a way of approaching the gods), versus the excessive moral control we observe today.
    Post your ityphallic or “priapic” coins!

galba68, Ryro, Valentinian and 29 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Now that is some coin. Very interesting way to show a fertility god. Makes me feel inadequate.

4. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great coin, they certainly weren't shy. I have one of the earliest representations of their boldness. Thasos circa 500 BC Drachm. C1795.jpg

Ryro, randygeki, dlhill132 and 14 others like this.
  5. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

A perfect reverse for that emperor ... if one is to believe the ancient gossip!

Multatuli and RAGNAROK like this.
  6. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

I remember visiting a few museums in Greece (when I was in the Navy.) Lots, and lots, and lots, and LOTS of sexually themed objects. Stuff you never see in museums here due to our hangups about sexuality. Interesting to see it on a coin. Thanks for sharing.

Multatuli and RAGNAROK like this.
  7. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Fertility gods were relatively common in the ancient world and point out the differences in morals between then and now. For comparison here is the Egyptian god Min. He was linked to the creation myths and his worship was centered in Coptos, a town later known as Justinianopolis in the Byzantine period.

min.jpg

galba68, Ryro, dlhill132 and 10 others like this.
  8. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

I'd love to get one of these, cool coin @Multatuli !

Oh man, I hope gift tree didn't hire this guy to deliver their fruit baskets!

[​IMG]

Ryro, TIF, John Anthony and 7 others like this.
  9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Cool! I've been wanting one of these.

I'll offer a Corinth stater with a control symbol delicately described in references as pudenda virilia. The rendering is crude rather than realistic, but it seems to me that there may be more going on there.. Corinth Pudenda Virilia new c.jpg
    CORINTHIA, Corinth
    AR Stater. 8.37g, 22.7mm. Circa 400-375 BC. Pegasi 155; Ravel 599. O: Pegasos flying left, Q below. R: Helmeted head of Athena right; EYΘ (retrograde) before, 'pudenda virilia' behind.
    Ex John Hayes Collection; Ex Veilinghuis Eeckhout bvba Auction 7 (12 Nov 2011) Lot 11

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    Jwt708, galba68, Ryro and 13 others like this.
  10. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

What a beautiful coin.

Multatuli likes this.
  11. zumbly

Thanks, AA! It's one of my favorites.

12. Multatuli

Lovely coins, folks!

I love these Thasos, @Ancient Aussie, but until this moment, I didn’t have an opportunity to get one. But it’s always on my want list.

That’s true! Elagabalus probably was the most eccentric Roman emperor, in all the questions.

Lol! I imagine the capacity of balance and strength of this god in balancing this hat a la Carmen Miranda’s hat in his membrum virilis ...

chrsmat71 and David Atherton like this.
  13. Multatuli

Awesome coin! Magnificent! One the best Corinthian staters that I saw!

zumbly likes this.
  14. lehmansterms

lehmansterms Many view intelligence as a hideous deformity

Of course it should be noted that Elagabalus was not shy about having himself portrayed wearing one of his favorite decorations on his crown. Typically called, in typically puritanical tradition "The Horn" - it was, in fact, a mummified bull's penis:
    [​IMG]
    I am not sure what the significance might have been. It may have been related to worship of the Apis-bull, but Elagabalus had been high-priest of his own cult which worshiped a large stone - probably a meteorite. He would have been likely to have had more of an inside track on various other Eastern cults during this period of proliferation of cults, many of which were hybrids containing elements of both Eastern and Western gods and traditions, than any outside the priesthood. It may have held some specific cross-over importance for him in his own sect.

15. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I understand that Elagabulus name in Syriac/Aramaic was Alla Gebel or Allah's mountain, and so we get the Latinized form we are used to. Islam also worships a large stone, inside the ka'aba, so there may have been a linkage between Elagabalus cult and an early precursor to Islam.

Multatuli likes this.
  16. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I believe this is the (rather controversial) suggestion of one researcher or two, rather than anything like an established fact.

17. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Great addition!

18. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Woohoo, I have wifi today! Not tomorrow, but for today I do :D I've missed CoinTalk and will never be able to catch up but I'll catch what I can.

Priapus is one of those ancient entities who causes gasps, blushing, and crude jokes in our modern society but his idealization makes perfect sense for the time. I have a few examples, including one of the OP variety.

[​IMG]
    MOESIA INFERIOR, Nikopolis ad Istrum. Elagabalus
    AE 18 mm, 2.8 gm
    Obv: AVT K M AVP ANTΩNINOC, laureate, draped, cuirassed bust right
    Rev: NIKOΠOΛITΩ NΠPOCICTPO N, Priapus standing left, drawing back his cloak to expose his phallus, bowl of fruit balanced on phallus, right hand extended pouring from patera
    Ref: Varbanov 3811, AMNG 2022 (I own neither of those references and cannot verify the numbers)

[​IMG]
    MOESIA INFERIOR, Nikopolis ad Istrum
    Julia Domna, Augusta

AE 22 mm, 4.5 gm
    Obv: IOVΛIA ΔOMNA CEBAC; draped bust right
    Rev: NIKOΠOΛITΩN ΠPOC ICT; ithyphallic Priapus standing right
    Ref: Varbanov 2858
    Man, I really should get Varbanov's books. Anyone wanna sell theirs?

And another @zumbly-inspired purchase:

[​IMG]
    CORINTHIA, Corinth
    c. 400-375 BCE
    AR stater. 20 mm, 8.25 gm
    Obv: Pegasus flying left; qoppa below
    Rev: helmeted head of Athena right; EYO (retrograde) above; pudenda virilia behind
    Ref: Ravel 599; Calciati 155; Pegasi I p. 198, 155

For a while I was motivated to collect a "set" of ithyphallic Priapus provincials but I lost interest other coins became higher priority. There are a handful of different emperors/empresses who have such a reverse.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  19. zumbly

Nice to see you back in the saddle, if even only for the day for now. I have to confess to Priapus-envy whenever I see that coin of yours :D.

20. Multatuli

Great to see you again, @TIF! I hope that your WiFi (and of course all the other things) get to the normal pretty soon.
    About your coins, I’m speechless...!
    Great examples!

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  21. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Welcome back @TIF even if it is for the day! Gosh, even had to break out my slab cracken shirt a couple times during your absence!

Interesting how we “omg” on Priapus, but today’s advertising have no qualms to exhibit reavealing female figures, virtually leaving nothing to the imagination...

TIF likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted