Either I just won something good or I did not read it right...State Quarters..Lots of them

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Ethan, Feb 22, 2015.

?

How did I do?

Poll closed Mar 1, 2015.
  1. Wow, great snipe - neat to have for gifts of kids or whatever...NICE

45.8%
  2. Why would you even bid on this? It will be a lot of work to spend those..

25.0%
  3. You should not eBay when drinking

29.2%
  1. Walking Sterling Silver

Walking Sterling Silver 16 Years Old and Love to Learn

I say you did good. Satin go for maybe $2.50 ea.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Walking Sterling Silver

Walking Sterling Silver 16 Years Old and Love to Learn

I'm not an expert on modern MODERN coinage

4. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

5. HOLLYWOOD

HOLLYWOOD Active Member

Thats cool that you have the 99/07 Gold Plated and Platinum Plated set the supply is much lower for them and theres some demand for them.

Good for you.

6. Ethan

That's good to know! I was wondering if I should get the 2009 on sets but I will not pay what is wanted for them. Maybe I will get lucky on a bid or so.

7. Ethan

I am going through these and looking for oddballs and coins in what I would consider high end UNC's. Most of these of course are best to crap so as to be MS60-62 with bag marks galore. Still all have been UNC with no signs of wear.

So I was looking at the 1999-2008 Denver coins.

First I found one that stood out. I found about two more like this within the 50 coins but this one is the best I think. They are large but that way they can be zoomed to look at condition.

2001 D Vermont - My guess is MS65/66 or thereabouts.

2001 vermont 03.jpg 2001 Vermont 01.jpg

gronnh20 likes this.
  8. Ethan

Next is a 2001 D North Carolina error of some type. The best way I can describe it is a blister. It is only on 1/3 of the obverse however. Plus it seems to have some machine doubling but it could be an issue like a re-punched die as it is similar to one of my 1964 Kennedy's of the same error.
    2001 North Carolina 03.jpg 2001 North Carolina 04.jpg 2001 North Carolina 05.jpg 2001 North Carolina 06.jpg

On to the P Mints

gronnh20 likes this.
  9. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

I found more errors in the P's. Even mint sets I have received from the mint have lots of bag marks and scratches.

10. Ethan

Well I found 3 or 4 P's in pretty darn good shape. These seem better overall and less bag marks. Of course some are full of bag marks Alaska 01.jpg but some are not. I checked for all of the common errors in my "Strike it Rich" book.

I did however see something that I have seen a few of and am curious of what type of error this is. I assume a cud?

11. Ethan

Found one! 2005 P Minnesota but not the one you think. It is a Double Die Obverse...Its in pretty good shape too. If the value is $20, then I now am ahead. I am very happy with this eBay win. 2005 P Minnesota 01.jpg 2005 P Minnesota 02.jpg

gronnh20 likes this.
  12. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

That's cool. I have been keeping an eye out for that one.

13. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Sounds like a lot of fun searching through those!

14. Ethan

I am going through the boxes this morning and I think they are actually in better shape than the flag packaging. I can find no information about the box versions. So if one was to buy a set for a book or such, the boxes are looking better than my original spot check.

The Set of 'P's are for sure very nice, this lot came with an extra 2006. No obvious errors but better looking coins.

Hands down the Boxed Sets are at least 1 grade higher and most 2 grades higher. My spot check was way wrong. If I was to build a set of quarters, 85% of the better ones would come from those boxed sets. I bet I even have a few MS66's, and just maybe a 67 on stretch.

Well I am through the rest of them. I am happy and I will be keeping these. I know there are tons of these out there, but nonetheless, counting the errors and the Satin...I paid face for them. Heck I might look to even upgrade this set in the future with the National Parks etc..

All in All - it was a good buy and a good win.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  15. cash4coin

cash4coin ran 20 redlights

Off the subject by just an inch but yesterday at a flea market emporium I found sheets of Elvis .49 cent postage stamps selling for less than cost. :headphone:

16. Ethan

Would buy everyday, and then use I guess. I am not a stamp guy.

17. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Guess those people don't expect to use snail mail anymore, or figure they will only buy 'forever' stamps for use.

18. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I'm not sure what 65-67s go for but I have 10 PR69DCAMs graded by ICG on the BST at $5 each and no one seems to care. My original thought was to give them out to my daughters classmates but since I don't have enough for either one of their classes, I'd see if someone here would want them. I'm thinking we may be 20 years away from anybody showing interest in state quarters.

19. Ethan

PR69's are proofs - these are Circulation Strikes.

Nonetheless - I am not sure why there is no demand for them.

20. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I'm aware of the difference between proofs and circulation strikes. The point is stronger by my example. There are roughly 3-4 million proofs made per year and I can't get rid of them at a third of the cost of the grading fee. What kind of an indicator is that for circulation strikes which were minted in the neighborhood of 800 million - 1.5 BILLION per year.

For scale, 1 million seconds is approximately 11.5 days and 1 billion seconds is approximately 31.5 years.

21. Ethan

OK I understand your point, however I have also learned that circulation type coins in MS67 and better are usually worth way more than their silver counterparts. I mean there is NO MS69 1998 D Kennedy half, if there were it would cost in the thousands etc..Proofs on the low end would be PR67 with moderns. I think that PR69 DCAMs are the norm I would guess. Still, I get your point.

Draft saved Draft deleted