EID MAR

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Eng, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Its April, i fooled you, no EID MAR here. but i did get a new Septimius Severus, one seven new coins. This SS has a different face than some of the others, the details are great to.:)

Septimius Severus..199 AD.
    Ar, denarius-Victory.
    Obv. laureate head right.
    Rev. Victory left, holding open wreath in both hands over round shield set on low base.
    Rome mint.
    Sellers pictures and no size or weight yet.

So get happy and post your EID MAR coins:D or Severus and Victory!
    2GrAgpJ3T5oLHi8m9kJXQ6xoscM47G_opt.jpg

Ancientnoob, KurtS, zumbly and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

That's a beautiful coin, John. Love the detail on both sides. I assume by style alone this is a Rome mint coin? I have a new SS coin coming in the mail, but I think I will wait till I have it in hand to post it. So instead, here is one of my favorite SS coins:
    Septimius Severus 7.jpg

zumbly, Gil-galad, stevex6 and 3 others like this.
  4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

He does have some of the best portrait in roman coinage. Very nice. Reverse is great too.

I have several of him but portrait wise, this is my favorite of mine.
    [​IMG]

5. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

EID MAR you say? Sure, no problem here's mine, hope you like it.

eid mar.jpg

6. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

This one has " Bachus ", god of Wine on reverse... S Sev O RIC27 a.jpg S Sev Bachus.jpg

7. Bing

Yeah, right.

8. Bing

It's been a long time since I posted the above coin, and I think the image is one from the seller. So here is a very quick retake (I should take it again, especially the obverse, but I'm too lazy today.).
    P4010001.JPG P4010002.JPG

9. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

So far his image is some what different, great coin John, did you sell a few of your kids..;)

Mikey Zee likes this.
  10. John Anthony

I happen to own England. This guy on 84th sold it to me along with the Brooklyn Bridge.

Eng likes this.
  11. Bing

12. John Anthony

Yeah, that's him! Small world...

13. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Terrific Posts!!!

Mats is one that I must have missed over the years---the resemblance to his son Caracalla is uncanny....I could easily confuse them at first glance...except for that wild beard, of course...

Eng likes this.
  14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Rome mint Septimius come in three basic groups. The earliest have a shorter beard and include PERT (reference to his being the avenger of the murder of Pertinax). The last have the Severus Pius legend and pointy beard as on Bing's coin. Between them we have the ones with PART MAX referring to his successful dealing with the Parthian wars. I have a strong preference for the PERT series but have a few of the later ones. Certainly there are many variations within each group with the most in the early PERT period. Most general collectors like the late PIVS ones with the corkscrew beard like Mat's coin. Below are examples of each - all Rome mint and in order. I consider them exceptional in style more than typical. Septimius had some really good portrait masters and some not so great.

This is uncommon even for the first coins in that it has only wavy hair.
    rs4050b01076lg.JPG

This is as tight curls as I have to show.
    rs4490bb0934.jpg
    Note the huge curl down from the sideburns.
    rs4700bb0559.jpg

Ancientnoob, zumbly, stevex6 and 3 others like this.
  15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Of the sons, Geta looked more like his father. This was probably not something Caracalla liked very much. I don't have a good one of the late Geta with pointy beard but acsearch does:
    http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=608602

Mikey Zee likes this.
  16. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I obviously missed that one as well...

I NEVER would have guessed it was Geta...I always had the idea Caracalla had him killed way before he could grow a beard anything like that ...even allowing for the engravers 'artistic' interpretation. And, I imagine Caracalla didn't approve of that close likeness at ALL.

They should make a mini-series on that family..it has everything any one could want in a action drama!!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    Eng likes this.
  17. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

No Kidding. Whole Severan period would make a good movie or mini series.

But nah, lets make "Romeo & Juliet" for the 1,000 time.

Eng and Mikey Zee like this.
  18. John Anthony

Diebus Vitae Nostrae

Mikey Zee likes this.
  19. Bing

I think there is already a series by that name.

20. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Mikey Zee and Eng like this.
  21. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

ahahahaha => good one ... gawd Eng, I like you (you're a damn good head, brother!!)

=> wow, congrats on a great Sep-Sev addition (I know for a fact that I will "never" buy another Sep-Sev example, for I also know that there are too many experts out there gazing upon your choice!!) ... what, are you stupid?!!

;)

just jokes, West Coast bro (you rock)

.... ummm, but again => as far as "I" am concerned, you batted this baby outta the park, my friend (home-run!!)

congrats on a very cool new coin

cheers, Eng

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
    Mikey Zee and Eng like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted