EID MAR - is it real?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by audiovisual, Mar 10, 2018.

1. audiovisual

audiovisual New Member

Hello everyone - new user and total newb here. Thanks for having me in this forum. Lots of interesting topics.
    In my family possession is what appears to be an Ides of march coin. How do you tell if it's real or fake? Any form of guidance is much appreciated...

IMG_0019.jpg IMG_0027.jpg IMG_0031.jpg IMG_0045.jpg

Marsyas Mike and TJC like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

This is a reproduction that's not meant to fool anyone.

The giveaway is the letter "R" under the cap in your first picture, which likely stands for "Reproduction."

A real example in this condition would be worth in excess of $500,000.

Justin Lee, TJC, RAGNAROK and 5 others like this.
  4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Oh, WOW, @IdesOfMarch01 ! I have no R! :D :D :D

Rimp AR Denarius AR Brutus EID MAR COPY by Slavei duplicate ex FSR 103.jpg
    Roman Imperatorial AR Denarius Brutus EID MAR
    COPY by Slavei
    ex FSR 103

Just jokes. This coin was created by the famous imitator Slavei.

I purchased it (my first and probably my ONLY modern imitation), as I knew I probably will NOT have the opportunity of capturing this Rarity. Bought it on a whim.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I don't think I'll ever have a real one (unless it's in really bad condition). Anyway, enjoy the type, even if it is a replica.

Alegandron likes this.
  6. audiovisual

audiovisual New Member

Thanks guys...so the consensus is... it's not real because of the "R"?

Alegandron likes this.
  7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I'm not a regular on this thread but the above posts and likes would indicate you do not have the real deal. These folks here are marvelous at what they do.

RAGNAROK and Alegandron like this.
  8. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

Not sure I understand your question.

It's not real because it's a reproduction. There are dozens of other factors that indicate this is a reproduction; the "R" is just the most obvious.

Edit: In the event you want to compare your reproduction to real examples, look at these:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?term=eid mar denarius&category=1-2&en=1&de=1&fr=1&it=1&es=1&ot=1&images=1&currency=usd&thesaurus=1&order=3&company=

You'll see so many stylistic differences that it will be obvious that, even if the "R" weren't present, it would be easy to determine your coin is a reproduction.

9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Yep, you will find the consensus to be your coin is a replica. Too bad. It's a dream of many to find a painting, novel or coin that grandpa had stashed away that is worth a bunch of moo-law

10. audiovisual

audiovisual New Member

LOL.... as I said I'm a newbie so thanks for the clues...

Kentucky likes this.
  11. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

There is a very well known Republican collector who had an EID MAR denarius. He decided to sell because it wasn't in very good shape and he thought he could always find another....:banghead:

There are probably about 100 of these coins known. One is for sale at the current Roma e-auction.

RAGNAROK likes this.
  12. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

That story has always left me scratching my head. Almost every time I see an EID MAR denarius I think of it.

13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Well, the guy isn't really wrong... In my short time collecting ancient coins I've seen several Eid Mars come up for sale. He can always find another. Might have to pay a fortune for it, but it's not like a once-in-a-lifetime coin if you have the bank account :)

14. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Happily they are "available", albeit at a price. I sold mine a little over a year ago after buying it a couple years before: it was a nice example, probably in the upper third condition-wise. However, it is un-pedigreed and for a type like the Eid Mar and other important coins, I'm much more comfortable when a pedigree is attached, knowing import restrictions and changing regulations these days.

In the few years since, there have been several other nice-to-extremely-nice unpedigreed examples sold. Campana's recent die study showed 91 examples but my guess is there are quite a few more out there.

Personally, I don't regret selling mine. I'll hopefully get a pedigreed one some time (with better metal and obverse centering), and preferably at a point when more unpedigreed coins have come to market and found their way into collections, removing underbidders for me.

Here it is for posterity:

[​IMG]

15. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

That makes perfect sense Joe

16. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

rrdenarius likes this.
  17. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT @audiovisual!!

Just wanted to add that if it had been real this would've been the most impressive coin I have ever seen anyone introduce themselves with on any coin forum.

18. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

Very wise move IMHO, Joe.

AncientJoe likes this.
  19. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

I have a bit older fake. I bought it as an "ancient" fake. I have few illusions that it was issued by Brutus's army. I did have the metal analyzed and it was 0.3% gold => it is not from modern silver. Several pics of my coin, first the seller's pics (Noble Num) -
    EID MAR Noble Num Dec 16 Land 8.4.17.jpg EID MAR rev Noble Num Dec 16 Land 8.4.17.jpg
    My photo skills are modest, but these are my pics -
    DSCN1028.JPG DSCN1031.JPG DSCN1039.JPG DSCN1036.JPG DSCN1043.JPG DSCN1044.JPG
    If you want a quick read of fiction on the subject -
    Double Daggers book cover.jpg

RAGNAROK, Andres2, TJC and 8 others like this.
  20. audiovisual

audiovisual New Member

That makes this even more of a facepalm :-O
    My grandmother swore the coin had been in her family for hundreds of years. (I’m sure she believed forgery could only occur in modern times)

21. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Well, now it's "ex AncientJoe collection".

RAGNAROK likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted