Eid Mar aureus estimate too high?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bart9349, Mar 17, 2022.

1. kirispupis

kirispupis Well-Known Member

I would absolutely pay $2M for this coin if a) I had that much spare change sitting around and b) it wouldn't put me in mortal danger from my spouse.

Coins as famous as this one go up in value. Pay $2M today, enjoy it for a few years, then sell it for a huge profit.

Generally, it's difficult to predict profits on ancient coins, but this is one of the exceptions.

panzerman likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

In fact, it's possible that Brutus was wearing this very coin at the moment he stabbed Caesar: he had the whole thing planned out, and arranged for the coin to be minted ahead of time. Many people are saying this.

@IdesOfMarch01, I assure you that I've encountered way more conspiracy theorists outside the context of my legal career than in the course of it. The attorneys I've dealt with have tended to be at least reasonably sane, no matter how remarkably unpleasant some of them were on a personal level. Then again, I never had the occasion to work with (or against) certain lawyers who've been in the news a lot in the last couple of years.

4. Restitutor

Restitutor Well-Known Member

This also explains the deep scratch on the coin. That was from Caesar himself blocking one of Brutus’ stab attempts and Brutus’ knife scraped the coin!

DonnaML and panzerman like this.
  5. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The way my tastes run, if a coin or token has a mark on it that is going to bother me every time I see it, I pass. Aside from 19th century U.S. political tokens, which I collect, a hole is a major turn-off for me.

A hole in a 19th century political token is a sign that it was made to be worn. and not a restrike from the original dies that was made to be sold to a collector. Here's an example.

"Wealth of the South" token holed to be worn by pro-slavery, pro-cession southerner in 1860. The are several varieties of this token and this one is rare.

Wealth of South 1 All.jpg

And here is one made from a different obverse die for a collector, circa 1863. Not nearly as rare, but scarce.

Wealth of South 2 All.jpg

svessien, DonnaML and panzerman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted