Eh, what's that in your pediment?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by zumbly, Mar 22, 2016.

1. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Maxentius's folles with Roma in a temple, commemorating his resoration of the Temple of Venus and Roma in AD 307, are by far the most common of his coins. In contrast to the ones which show the emperor and a captive together with Roma, those with the seated goddess alone could be said to be a little dull. On my example, thanks to a weak strike, even Roma is largely AWOL, leaving the only feature of interest the temple itself, which in this case has all kinds of fun stuff going on.

The majority of Maxentius's Roma temple coins have either a plain pediment (the triangular area below the temple roof), or one with a wreath. RIC 208 is a variety that has "pediment sometimes sculptured", with two cited examples described as having the Dioscuri flanked by altars in the pediment. My coin shows pediment figures undescribed in RIC, but the two central figures are clearly Jupiter, holding a scepter and thunderbolt, and Hercules, holding a club. The small figure on the left is not as well detailed, but the pose is recognizably that of a river-god. The one on the right is tougher to get a fix on, but Victor Failmezger's book covering coins of the tetrarchy apparently has a similar coin, and he describes the right figure as Sol wearing a radiate crown. I don't have the book, but the picture of the plate coin I've seen online shows a clearer Sol than mine, holding a globe in his left hand. That coin, however, has different acroteria (the decorative ornamentation at the corners of the roof). RIC 208 has Victories as acroteria, but whatever mine are - two guys with skipping ropes? - they sure don't bear any resemblance to Victory.

Pile-on invite - any of your temple coins with interesting pediment figures!

upload_2016-3-23_7-2-57.png
    MAXENTIUS
    AE Follis
    6.27g, 27.4mm
    Rome mint, AD 308-310
    RIC VI Rome 208 var.
    O: IMP C MAXENTIVS PF AVG, laureate head right.
    R: CONSERV - VRB SVAE, Roma seated facing, head left, within hexastyle temple, holding globe and scepter; shield at base of scepter; in temple pediment from left to right, a river-god, Jupiter, Hercules, and Sol; tall standing figures as acroteria; RBP in exergue.

DonnaML, Ryro, Carl Wilmont and 20 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Acroteric jump ropers? How unusual! And dangerous-- I try to stay at least a couple of feet back from the edge of ancient temples roofs when skipping rope. :D

Zumbly-PedimentJumpropers.jpg

Interesting pediments. Hmm. I have one, the result of an amnestic Zumbly-stalking event. (I didn't realize until after I won that I liked it because Zumbly had created a nice post about the type in the recent past :D).

[​IMG]
    Marcus Aurelius
    Sestertius; 31 mm, 24 gm; struck AD 173, Rome mint
    Obv: laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right
    Rev: Mercury standing left on pedestal, holding caduceus and purse (it looks more like a patera to me); within temple with figural columns (telamones); on semicircular pediment, tortoise (unfortunately worn on this coin), cockerel, ram, caduceus, winged helmet, and purse; S-C across fields; RELIG AVG in exergue
    Ref: RIC III 1074; MIR 18, 258-6/37; Banti 260

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    DonnaML, Ryro, Carl Wilmont and 18 others like this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Actually that's nice, sever portrait of the fella, YOC. Here is my very poor example.

Maxentius 1.jpg
    MAXENTIUS
    Follis
    OBVERSE: IMP C MAXENTIVS P F AVG, laureate head right
    REVERSE: CONSERV-VRB SVAE, Roma, seated facing in hexastyle temple, head left, shield at side, holding globe and sceptre. Victories as acroteria, wreath in pediment. A Omega T in Ex.
    Struck at Rome 308-310 AD
    7.6g, 25mm
    RIC 210

5. zumbly

Lol. I think your pic confirms it. I shall have to adjust my description :D.

TIF likes this.
  6. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

Sadly, I do not collect temple coins, so have none with interesting pediment figures. But I thought your thread was interesting, so I will contribute this bronze coin, my only temple coin:

Poppaea and Claudia.png
    Poppaea became the second wife of Nero in AD 62, and Claudia was the daughter of Poppaea and Nero.

Poppaea and Claudia
    65 AD
    AE18 - 4.35 gm
    Obv: DIVA POPPAEA AVG, distyle temple containing statue of Poppaea seated left Rev: DIVA CLAVD NER F, hexastyle temple with domed roof containing statue of Claudia standing left
    Ref: SR2058, RPC 4846

Ryro, Carl Wilmont, dlhill132 and 9 others like this.
  7. zumbly

This one is on my list. You have a super nice example!

Mikey Zee, ancientcoinguru and TIF like this.
  8. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

Thanks! :smuggrin: This is one of my favorite coins. It was on my wish list for quite a while, probably took me about 5 years to find a nice example I could afford....but patience does have its rewards!

9. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Actually, now that you mention it, i need a coin of his son Romulus.
    So many coins, so little time!

ancientcoinguru likes this.
  10. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Wonderful posts!!! From 'acroteric rope jumpers' to a bronze of Poppaea....

My temple example of Maxentius appears to depict the weekend when everyone was out of town---not a soul on it.....but it does look like someone is inside using the privy :rolleyes::D

Maxentius, Galerius and Maximianus 001.JPG Maxentius, Galerius and Maximianus 003.JPG

11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Perhaps the reverse is the temple of Commodus (groan :D)

12. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

So common I chose the Victory reverse, go figure.

[​IMG]
    Maxentius (306 - 312 A.D.)
    Æ Follis
    O: IMP C MAXENTIVS P F AVG, laureate bust right.
    R: VICTORIA AETERNA AVG N, Victory advancing left with wreath & palm.
    In ex. MOSTT
    6.70g
    Ostia mint
    RIC 54

[​IMG]
    Petillius Capitolinus (43 B.C.)
    AR Denarius
    O: CAPITOLINVS, Bare head of bearded Jupiter right.
    R: PETILLIVS, The Capitoline Temple of Jupiter: richly decorated hexastyle façade with ornamented pediment and garlands hanging within three openings; [PE]TILLIVS in exergue.
    Rome
    3.5g
    20mm
    Crawford 487/1, Sydenham 1149

[​IMG]
    FAUSTINA Sr. (138-141 AD)
    Silver Denarius
    DIVA FAVSTINA
    Draped bust right.
    AED DIV FAVSTINAE
    Hexastyle temple of diva faustina, containing seated statue of the deity, trellis-work fencing in foreground at foot of steps.
    RIC 343
    17mm
    3.2g

13. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

Uncertain seated figure with raised arms, flanked by seated sphinxes or something...

Phil (94).JPG

14. zumbly

I'm just enjoying seeing all these temple coins. Please keep 'em coming!

Here's a larger picture of just the roof of the temple on my coin.

image.jpeg

15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I believe these are what you meant from the Failmezger book. 127iM3 appeared on the disk distributed with the book in enlarged size. I shows 'tetrarchy gods in pediment with Victories'. Click to enlarge.
    127iM3i.jpg

127jM3 was a lesser coin only shown in reduced size and was labelled 'Dioscuri in pediment with Victories'.
    127jM3.jpg

Neither were great coins but it was what we had to work with. Victories were, in particular, weak. We included very few coins from out of town simply because mailing things would have upped the cost of the book a lot.

I remain fond of 126gM3 (below) which was a coin from my collection (coded D on the disk - owners of the disk will see several similarly coded to owners) used because it was better than Victor's of the type. Type 126 temples had four columns while 127 had six. 126gM3 was 'wolf/twins pediment, Victories'
    126gM3(D)~.jpg

I might add that 700 photos taken for this book were done while on my back with one leg elevated over my heart level following vascular surgery. The photos may not be the best but I claim the award for best excuse for numismatic mediocrity. Since I was not paid for them, the images were good enough. They were taken with a (primitive by today's standards) Nikon Coolpix 990 linked to a TV so I did not have to look through the camera. I did the photos as a favor to Victor partly because he agreed to issue the images on CD with the book and the first bunch had a CD in a sleeve inside the back cover. Later, batches were sent out minus the disks or dealers who bought them decided to throw them out. The idea of providing the images on disk did not seem worth doing to most people in 2003.

16. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

my only temple with any type of pediment is this, with....triple dots (busts?). engraver phoned the pediment work in for sure!

[​IMG]

17. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

My temples don't have pediments? :-(

zumbly likes this.
  18. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

My Maxentius only has a wreath within the pediment
    maxentius pediment.JPG

19. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Awesome OP-example, Z-Bro (congrats on adding that jump-rope winner!!)

Oh, and fantastic miscellaneous posts by the usual coin-suspects (great coins)

... I have a cool example as well

Maxentius

maxentius.jpg

20. zumbly

Doug, taking 700 coin pictures while bedridden sounds either heroic or masochistic, I can't decide which one :D.

The 127iM3 is indeed the one I was referring to. The truncated Sol shown in profile is really great on that coin. It has its flaws, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a nicer one. I think the other interesting thing about that example is that Roma holds victory on a globe rather than just a globe. That isn't common either.

Nice Maxtemple coins, everyone!

stevex6, ancientcoinguru, TIF and 2 others like this.
  21. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Jeez, When Doug's 'worse' photos are far superior to my best, I realize I have a LOOOONG way to go..LOL

Wonderful posts everyone!!!

TIF and Ancientnoob like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted