Egyptian Drachm with a Provenance

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Al Kowsky, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

The Phil Peck (Morris) Collection has proven to be a windfall for collectors of rare, unusual, and attractive ancient coins. His collection was especially rich in large bronze coins although few of these coins would be considered "high grade". Many of his coins showed considerable ware, were smoothed, or showed obvious signs of cleaning. Personally I prefer silver or billon coins because I find their toning more attractive than the patina I've seen on most bronze coins. I made an exception with the well-worn Egyptian drachm pictured below. This coin has a dazzling patina of mahogany brown and jadeite green, along with a fascinating reverse design of a female griffin with her paw on a wheel.

4884131-010, insert.jpg
    Emmett 1524, Alexandria Egypt.jpg

Griffins are mythological creatures, part eagle and part lion. They date back well over 5,000 years and are seen in many ancient cultures, especially with the Greeks, Egyptians, Romans, and Persians. They are recognized primarily as protective animals with an esoteric association with gold.
    Running Griffin.gif

-Bronzen_griffioen_ForumHadriani_Rijksmuseum_Leiden, Roman, AD 50-270.jpg
    This Roman gilded bronze griffin, circa AD 50 - 270, is in the Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, Netherlands.

Griffon attacking a bull.jpg
    This Roman mosaic, circa 2nd-3rd century AD, is in the National Museum of Damascus,
    Syria, shows a griffin attacking a bull.

Byzantine -griffin-mosaic.jpg
    This Byzantine mosaic, circa 6th century, from Istanbul, Turkey, shows a female griffin devouring a lizard.

Photos courtesy of Wikipedia, Google, & Stanford University Library.

Provenance:
    Virginia Ruzicka Collection
    Joel L. Malter Auction XXVIII, lot 460, 12-8-1984
    Kerry Keith Wetterstrom Collection
    CNA Auction XII, lot 213, 9-26-1990
    Phil Peck (Morris) Collection
    Heritage Monthly Auction 66151, lot 97082, 1-26-2020

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

That griffin is beautiful!

spirityoda likes this.
  4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Very nice coin! Beautiful patina! How much does it weigh?

I gotta dinky one...

[​IMG]
    Troas Assos 500-450 BCE AR Tetartemorion 6.4mm 0.21g Griffin springing right - Astragalos within incuse square Klein 475 VF Rare

Bing and Johndakerftw like this.
  5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice griffin there and a terrific drachm of Roman Egypt.

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I believe there is a higher percentage of Alexandrian coins with problems from inappropriate conservation. I stopped bidding on coins from one 'name' collection after winning a couple tetradrachms that struck me as having strange looking 'patina'. We know many roughly cleaned, later drachms have problems with bronze disease. There are hundreds of very rare Alexandrian coins which we must be glad to have whatever their condition. I wish collectors who feel the need to improve these coins which already have enough problems would go polish something I do not collect and leave my Alexandrians alone.

TIF likes this.
  7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Cool griffin. I like griffins on Coins...

8. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Fantastic coin, with great patina.

9. Al Kowsky

Alegandron, My coin weighs 23.83 gm & is 33 mm in diameter. Despite the tiny size of your coin both sides have well engraved designs & have a nice patina :D. I wonder if that knuckle-bone isn't a left over from the griffin's meal of lamb :smuggrin:.

Alegandron and TIF like this.
  10. Al Kowsky

I could never understand why people have the neurotic urge to clean coins o_O. When I had an antique & coin store many years ago I was shocked how many people brought coins in for sale & cleaned them before coming in :oops:. One instance I'll never forget :rolleyes:. A woman came in my store with her late husband's collection of Morgan dollars. All the coins had be cleaned with "Twinkle Silver Cream" & had a near mirror finish including a 1893-S in Ex. Fine condition :eek:!

11. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

WOW! Does it glow in the dark? :watching:

spirityoda likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted