Egypt (Ptolemaic Kingdom): silver didrachm of Ptolemy VI "Philometer", ca. 163-145 BC

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Jun 11, 2020.

?

How interesting/appealing do you find this coin, whether or not you're an expert? (1=worst, 10=best)

1. 10

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. 9

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. 8

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  4. 7

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. 6

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  6. 5

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  7. 4

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  8. 3

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Egypt (Ptolemaic Kingdom): silver didrachm of Ptolemy VI ("Philometer"), second sole reign, ca. 163-145 BC; Cyprus mint
    01-Ptolemy-frame.png
    Obverse: Diademed head of Ptolemy I Soter right, wearing aegis around neck.
    Reverse: Eagle standing left on thunderbolt with wings closed, P IZ (Z retrograde) in fields, E between legs.
    Issuer: Ptolemy VI Philometor, Ptolemaic King of Egypt, second sole reign, 163-145 BC.
    Specifications: Silver, 21 mm, 6.64 g.
    Grade: NGC VF; Strike 5/5, Surface 3/5. Cert. #5770260-002. Purchased raw.
    Reference: Svoronos 1228.
    Provenance: ex-Ken Dorney, via VCoins store, 30 May 2020.* Prior provenance to Classical Numismatic Group eAuction 456, Lot 248, 13 November 2019.*
    Notes: Struck at Cyprus. Ptolemy VI won a decisive victory against the Seleucid Kingdom at the Battle of Antioch (Oenoparus) in 145 BC, but died three days later from wounds received in the battle.
    Comments: This was my first Ptolemaic coin. I liked the greyish toning and the portrait on it.

01-Ptolemy-frame.png 02-Ptolemy-Photovision.png 03-Ptolemy-black.png 04-Ptolemy-gradient.png 05-Ptolemy-white.png 06-Ptolemy-obv.png 07-Ptolemy-rev.png 08-Ptolemy-slab.png
    YouTube video clip from Ken Dorney:

021966S

TIF, Theodosius, PeteB and 10 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Nice didrachm, I still need to get a proper Ptolemy, I only have one bronze coin.

The component Ptolemy VI fought against at Antioch in 145 BC.
    [​IMG]
    Alexander I (Balas). 152/1-145 BC. AR Drachm. Antioch mint. Undated issue ca. 149/8-148/7 BC (SE 164/5).
    Obverse:
    Diademed and draped bust of Alexander Balas right.
    Reverse: BAΣIΛEΩΣ AΛEΞANΔPOY ΘEOΠATOPOΣ EYEPΓETOY (“of King Alexander, Son of a Divine Father and Benefactor”). Apollo seated left on omphalos, testing arrow and resting hand on grounded bow; monogram in exergue.
    Reference: SC 1785.5b; HGC 9, 887a.
    4.12g; 19mm

And the king Ptolemy VI fought together with:
    [​IMG]
    Demetrios II Nikator (146 - 138 B.C.) First Reign. AR Drachm. Antioch mint. Undated issue, ca. 146-144 B.C.
    Obverse:
    Diademed head of the youthful Demetrios II to right.
    Reverse: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΔΗΜΗΤΡΙΟΥ ΘΕΟΥ ΦΙΛΑΔΕΙΛΦΟΥ ΝΙΚΑΤΟΡΟΣ (“of King Demetrios, God loving one’s brother, the Victorious”). Apollo, nude, seated left on omphalos; holding arrow in his right hand and resting his left on his bow; to left, monogram; monogram between Apollo's leg.
    Reference: SC 1908.3
    3,99g; 17mm

4. lordmarcovan

Thanks for giving us the rest of the line of battle!

5. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Beautiful portrait and toning, commemorating a battle between Diadochial ancestors, from Cyprus!!!
    Yeah, thats my 10 of 10. That coin rings all the bells

Here's my ptolemy vi:
    20190326_152140_29C91189-F986-4415-8391-818BEF79614E-406-000000C7485FA0A3.png
    Ptolemy VI Philopator
    (180-145 BCE) - AE30 (Cyprus, 23.26 MM 7,0 gm.) - Diademed head of Zeus Ammon right / Two eagles standing left on thunderbolt, double cornucopiae before (Svor. 1424 / Weiser 141)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  6. lordmarcovan

Awesome! I only went with an 8, myself. But obviously I like it, since I bought it.

Ryro likes this.
  7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I'll go with a 9 since I've yet to get one.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  8. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Still a great coin, @lordmarcovan ! Just one correction in your description: as stated in the CNG archives entry that @Sulla80 posted in your other thread (see https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=6483628), as well as in the translated Svoronos [not Svornos] 1228 entry -- you have to go back to the first page of the didrachms [incorrectly attributed to Ptolemies IV and V] for the description of the obverses; see https://www.coin.com/images/dr/svoronos/svc001p169t.html -- that's the head of Ptolemy I on the obverse, not Ptolemy VI. Just like my own recently-acquired Ptolemy VI tetradrachm, which I wrote about in another thread as well, depicts Ptolemy I on the obverse. You can't miss that profile of Ptolemy I, and the later Ptolemies continued to use it frequently!

Egypt, Ptolemaic Kingdom, Ptolemy VI Philometor [“Mother-loving”] (First reign, 180-164 BCE), ca.180-170 BCE, Alexandria Mint. Obv. Diademed head of Ptolemy I right, wearing aegis / Rev. Eagle with closed wings standing left on thunderbolt, ΠTOΛEMAIOY on left, BAΣIΛEΩΣ on right. Seaby 7895 [D. Sear, Greek Coins & their Values, Vol. II: Asia & Africa (Seaby 1979)]; Svoronos 1489 (ill. Pl. 51a, Nos. 1-5) [J.N. Svoronos, Ta Nomismata tou Kratous ton Ptolemaion (Athens, 1904-08)] (see https://www.coin.com/images/dr/svoronos/svc001p209t.html [incorrectly attributed to Ptolemy VIII]); SNG Copenhagen 262-268 [Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum, Copenhagen, The Royal Collection of Coins and Medals, Danish National Museum, Part 40: Egypt: The Ptolemies (Copenhagen 1977)]; BMC 6 Ptolemaic Egypt 3 (p. 100) (ill. Pl. XXIV No. 5) [R.S. Poole, A Catalog of the Greek Coins in the British Museum, Vol. 6, Ptolemaic Kings of Egypt (London, 1883)]. 26 mm., 12.14 g.

Ptolemy VI tetradrachm jpg version.jpg

9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

PTOLOMY I

[​IMG]
    Egypt Ptolemy I Soter Tet Delta bankers marks

10. lordmarcovan

Thank you. I'll circle back and fix it after I post the next writeup or two (I'm playing serious catchup ball on that front!)

I almost always just copy and paste the catalog attributions (and spellings of such!) from the info I get from dealers, since to be honest, that particular part doesn't interest me very much and gives me headaches. Invariably, every time I post such a quoted attribution, somebody here corrects it! But it seems important to include such data, so I do. And that doesn't mean I'm ungrateful to the folks who post the corrections. It helps.

Andres2 and DonnaML like this.
  11. DonnaML

I think it's a good thing to know who's depicted on a coin!

12. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

@lordmarcovan whatever score you get I think you can round up from anyone who only sees the CNG photo above. IMO the video you posted gives a much nicer impression. Whatever score, a nice coin that I would be happy to own ;)

Broucheion, Johndakerftw and Ryro like this.
  13. lordmarcovan

Dorney posted that. I'd like to convert it to an animated GIF but my GIF making app won't do that from YouTube vids. It seems I need another conversion app to download it from YouTube so I can convert it? :confused:

PS- thanks for posting that here. I forgot to transfer it over from the old thread. When it's a GIF I'll be able to save it in my CollectiveCoin image drop (which is linked to by "Additional images") in the writeup.

14. lordmarcovan

Oh, certainly. It's the RIC-this-and-Crawford-that-and-Bolshnikov-such-and-such numbers that make my brain turn to goo. I know there are uses for such information, which is why I (begrudgingly) include such minutiae. It counts, and it's important to a lot of people, even if I happen to be a Philistine in that regard.

Scrambled up numbers and letters get to me- I flunked Algebra. But visualizations work for me - I did fine in Geometry.

15. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

gifs.com one nearly "free" option
    zv8JNm.gif

Broucheion and Magnus Maximus like this.
  16. lordmarcovan

Check my work?
    1. Corrected obverse description (head of Ptolemy I Soter, not Ptolemy VI Philometor). Fixed Wikipedia link.
    2. Corrected spelling of Svoronos.
    3. Added CNG/ACSearch info to provenance.

DonnaML likes this.
  17. lordmarcovan

Bless you, sir. Now if I can get a GIF of the flipped over reverse, I can splice the two together in my GIF app (which can make them up to a minute or so long, with no watermark).

Here we go, after four tries...
    gif.gif
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    Broucheion and DonnaML like this.
  18. lordmarcovan

Here's a GIF showing both sides. We seem to have lost a little bit of image quality, but this is adequate, I think. And can be saved in my CollectiveCoin gallery with the other images, which you can't do with a video.

Eventually I intend to do something like this with all my coins, but right now just some of the shiny proofs and such have GIFS.

20200611_223716.gif

Broucheion, Johndakerftw and DonnaML like this.
  19. DonnaML

Looks good to me!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  20. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

21. lordmarcovan

Thanks for the help.

DonnaML likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted