Egypt, Alexandria HADRIAN Tetradrachm Nilus Reclining

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dadams, Jan 13, 2018.

1. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

My first coin of 2018 is the result of a Croc fixation for the last month or so . . . late last year I picked up a lot of cut dupondii from Colonia Nemausus featuring Augustus and Agrippa on the obverse and a chained crocodile on the reverse. I'd like to get a whole example of the COL-NEM at some point, but haven't found one to my liking yet. In any case, I started looking at other coins featuring crocodiles and was immediately attracted to the river-god Nilus types. Hadrian's seem prevalent among the offerings:

[​IMG]
    Roman Provincial Egypt. Hadrian, 117-138 AD. Billon Tetradrachm.
    Mint of Alexandria, Egypt, struck AD 135/136 AD.
    Obv: ΑVΤ ΚΑΙC ΤΡΑΙΑΝ ΑΔΡΙΑΝΟC CΕΒ - Laurate and bearded bust of Hadrian facing left.
    Rev: Nilus reclining on crocodile holding reed in right hand and cornucopiae in left; regnal year LK (year 20) in upper left field.
    23.5mm, 13.36g, 12h
    cf. Dattari 1436, Milne 1491, Emmett 879, Köln 1196, RPC 6087
    Ex. Pavlos S. Pavlou

I'm not overly educated about Hadrian and his travels but enjoyed the couple of chapters on Egypt found in Ferdinand Gregorovius' The Emperor Hadrian.

I'd love to see everyone's crocodile coins, Hadrian Tets, or whatever, so post 'em if you got 'em.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

A great looking coin!

dadams likes this.
  4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Very nice example, congrats.

dadams likes this.
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Nice!!! Great details on that tet. Well-centered, good metal... winner!

dadams likes this.
  6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Love that coin. Great portrait and cool reverse!

dadams likes this.
  7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

What a great coin!

dadams likes this.
  8. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..a crocagator... good lQQkin coin D :)

dadams likes this.
  9. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great coin with strong detail.

dadams likes this.
  10. Agricantus

Agricantus Allium aflatunense

Super coin, @dadams! Love the variety of Nilus’ relaxation positions; I have 3 such coins. Here’s one with a reverse similar to yours. Although, given the orientation of the letters LK in your picture, maybe Nilus is sitting on rocks rather than reclining?

13332FDE-CFDF-4E5B-9D51-44F6E401863B.jpeg
    ex CNG inventory, A.K. Collection, purchased from Münzen und Medaillen AG, 1969.

Cucumbor, Ajax, dadams and 6 others like this.
  11. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Wow, that is a beauty!

Great portrait style.

Nilus is looking a little chunky. He needs to put down that horn of plenty now and then and quit snacking on Cheetos all day.

John

TIF, dadams and ancient coin hunter like this.
  12. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

Super nice tet @dadams! The photo has Nilus kicked back chillin. If you orient the LK horizontaly he is still reclining. :)

dadams likes this.
  13. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Wow! What a Tet!! Very nice indeed!!

dadams likes this.
  14. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

Here he is with the LK situated properly, still reclining and chillin', but I do think now properly described as seated as @Argicantus points out. You can see how his left foot is now on the ground holding himself up with the right leg bent at the knee to steady himself against the rock.

[​IMG]

Another I found at vcoins is clearly reclining.

Further too, I'm going to have to do more investigating on the attributions. The seller cited: "Ref: Dattari 1436, SNG Cop 404, Milne 1492, Koln 1196, Frankfurt 523, Emmett.-" and I had revised based on the examples and info I could determine from online sources: Dattari 1436, Milne 1491, Emmett 879, Köln 1196, RPC 6087

Here is RPC (online) 6087 for example with the obv legend: ΑΥΤ ΚΑΙС ΤΡΑΙΑΝ - ΑΔΡΙΑΝΟС СƐΒ, but then here is RPC (online) 6090 with the obv legend as: ΑΥΤ ΚΑΙС ΤΡΑ ΑΔΡΙΑΝΟС СƐΒ

I'm certain I see TPA IAN on my own.

Our friend @Okidoki has one like this so I hope he might chime in.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Ajax, Johndakerftw, TIF and 3 others like this.
  15. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

ROFL - he is a little on the beefy side.

Thanks for all the comments everyone!

Theodosius likes this.
  16. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Wow, @dadams, that is a superb Nilus tet! Great metal, great portrait, and most of all that wonderful pot-bellied Nilus.

Here he is on a “Travel Series” denarius.

2D5C0889-0821-4686-BA69-944A09E1C915.jpeg

17. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Yes, your coin shows Nilus seated. You are correct about the Emmett number (879) and Milne number. I'd get up and check my Dattari book but that means getting out of bed and that's just too much work right now :D (Is it weird that I happened to have Emmett's book in bed with me, along with the Triton Staffieri catalog? :oops:)

As for the obverse legend, Emmett's book gives the legends at the top of each page for that emperor/empress, grouped by year of issue. Per Emmett, as a year 20 tet your coin's obverse legend is, as you noted, ΑVΤ ΚΑΙC ΤΡΑΙΑΝ ΑΔΡΙΑΝΟC CΕΒ. However, there are many instances in which the legends vary from what they are "supposed" to be. He is coming out with a second book detailing variants in legends and such. Unfortunately it skips the earlier emperors and will cover Elagabalus through Domitius Domitianus. For emperors like Hadrian and Antoninus Pius, number of coins and legend variations is probably staggering.

Part of the obverse legend is (presumably) off flan but it is likely legend matches what Emmett says it should be.

Here's what I see:

CT-DAdamsHadrianNilusObverseLegend.jpg
    There are smidgens of partial letters at the neck truncation.

Coins of Roman Egypt were not always well made and it is hard to find coins with full and legible legends. Your coin has much more of the legend than most.

Here's an Emmett 879.20 from CNG and it has letters continuing below Hadrian's neck. It's not a die match but it does have the legend starting at the ~2:00 position like yours, instead of the more often seen ~7:00 position.. Note that the legend is different from what Emmett says it should be; "TPAIAN" is abbreviated to "TPA", which is seen on Hadrian tets from years 21 and 22, per Emmett. Given the general size of letters on your coin, I suspect yours had "TPAIAN" below the neck.

[​IMG]

One of the things I enjoy about collecting Roman Egypt is that most books don't get too hung up on such minor variations. I'd rather focus on the interesting iconography.

Here's a Hadrian Nilus drachm from a coin show ~4 years ago. Weakly struck and but not terrible for the type :)

HadrianDrachm-Nilus-E1016-16-RT.jpg
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Hadrian
    year 16, CE 131/2
    Æ drachm
    Obv: AVTKAI TPAIA∆PIACE[B seems to be missing or barely squeezed in], laureate and draped bust right, seen from behind
    Rev: Nilus seated left on rock, reed in hand; crocodile below [LI] S in left field
    Ref: Emmett 1016.16

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Alegandron, Ajax, Theodosius and 6 others like this.
  18. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Yes. Just have them beside your bed like us non-weirdos. :p

Obligatory extra Hadrian drachm with Nilus...

Hadrian - Drachm Nilus 1986.jpg

19. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Fabulous OP tetradrachm !

Here's my drachm of his

[​IMG]
    Hadrian, Drachm struck in Alexandria, ca. AD 131-132
    AVT KAI TRAI ADRIA CEB, Draped and laureate bust of Hadrian right
    Nilus leaning left. Behind an hippopotamus. L IS in field (regnal year 16)
    23.87 gr
    Ref : Sear #1259, RCV #3763 var, Emmett #1017/16 (R1)

Q

20. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Beautiful!

ancient coin hunter and Cucumbor like this.
  21. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted