Edward VII - 1902 Matte Proof Five Sovereigns GTG

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by 7Jags, Dec 3, 2021.

1. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

OK, this is a tricky one as the TPGs (ie NGC and PCGS) are "Variable" in grading the entire 1902 Matte proof series. Here is one for your delection, Guess the Grade (GTG) if you'd like:

See next post for posted full images.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

4. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

I was trying to make a point as this is not my coin, although I do have 1902 Proof and also a currency 5 pounds/sovereigns coins.
    The grading as a hint is very suspect on this, and even though I am not a conspiracy person I think smacks of "favoritism" or bias on the part of the TPGs. In other words, I don't have a dog in this fight, other than demonstrating what I believe to be inconsistency at bast or at worst something else.
    I have seen some examples of grading that IMO are past the point of belief.

As far as the OP coin, I will state that the obverse simply is average and not bad but besides having die polish lines in the fields it has sign of the ubiquitous wiping in the fields. This was said to have occurred when mint workers wiped the newly minted matte coins on their work aprons (I am not sure that has EVER been proven).

In short it is a nice coin with a better than average reverse but a grade limiting obverse....

5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Is this another off-metal strike or silver pattern? Doesn't look like gold.

As to the grade, I dunno. I'd go 65 at least.

Draft saved Draft deleted