Edward the Confessor Penny - 1042 to 1066

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by PaddyB, Oct 11, 2013.

1. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

Just for your entertainment - my latest acquisition, Edward Confessor Penny Hammer Cross type, S1182, double struck particularly on the reverse. Edward reigned in England from 1042 to 1066, and it was in part due to his dealings with the Normans that William the Conqueror invaded in 1066 after Edward's death, thus bringing an end to the "Anglo Saxon" era, and beginning the "Norman" era.

Anybody got any other Saxon coins to share?

Ed Conf Penny.jpg

Eng, RaceBannon, chrsmat71 and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

I must (Confess) nice one Paddy. :)

4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

is this coin made of copper or silver ? cool coin.

5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

what is pictured on this coin and what does it say on it ?

6. PaddyB

This is a Silver coin with a very old natural patina. The Obverse shows Edward facing right with a sceptre in front of him. The wording reads Edward Rex, but is pretty obscured. Reverse has the hammer cross in the centre, and around the edge the moneyer and mint, but sadly these are too obscured to be readable. I would suspect "Pint" which is Winchester, but there are nearly 100 mints in England that it could be at that time!

Ripley likes this.
  7. wyvern

wyvern Active Member

in my youth I went to an auction and bought this item described as unknown coin for a modest sum.i sent a photo to the british museum and had a reply from gareth Williams---it is a penny of Edward the confessor produced by the moneyer estmund at thetford in east Anglia-----inscription EDPERD RE----ESTMUND A DE---the british museum have two identical coins.

Attached Files:

PaddyB, chrsmat71 and John Anthony like this.
  8. PaddyB

This brings my collection of Saxon Kings up to four in total - here are the other 3. It may take me a while to complete this set!
    Aethelred.jpg Cnut Penny.jpg saxon for id.jpg
    Aethelred, Cnut and Eadgar in that order.

Eng, Ripley, Ancientnoob and 3 others like this.
  9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Great looking coins, PaddyB!!

... sadly, I don't have any Ango Saxon examples to share ...

=> my closest offering is this Carolingian coin (840-877 AD) ... it seems to be of a fairly similar design-type though, eh? (I wonder if one or the other cultures adopted the design type from the other? ... sorry, it's the best that I could do)

Carolingians a.jpg
    Carolingians b.jpg

Eng, RaceBannon, Ripley and 4 others like this.
  10. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

oh yeah, those are great paddy. all nice, i think you "top" old one is my fav.

11. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

OK, see I have been trying to collect one of each type of 'culture'. After seeing these coins I am filled with a desire to own a decent example akin to yours. I have not seen one for sale around my parts. I have found mainly junk in my price range. After seeing these coins I know I must purchase one.

Oh and number one and number two are exceptionally phat.

PaddyB likes this.
  12. PaddyB

Yes - I have recently expanded into the Saxon era, and I do find the coins particularly attractive. Aethelred II and Cnut are certainly the easiest to come by, and you might pick one up in similar condition to the above in the £300 to £500 bracket.

Increasingly in the UK our respect for the Saxon era is increasing. For hundreds of years historians, influenced by the Norman victory in 1066, tended to treat the Saxons as barbaric and unsophisticated, but it has become clear that their culture and art was in fact far more developed than the Normans. recent hordes of Saxon Gold artifacts show a very high level of craftsmanship and artistic appeal. I think even the coins show more style than the Norman's and Plantagenets achieved at any time.

13. moneyer12

moneyer12 i just love UK coins.......

i love the saxon coins paddy, they are one of my favourite series to collect...this my coenwulf penny,

[​IMG]

Eng, stevex6, PaddyB and 1 other person like this.
  14. moneyer12

moneyer12 i just love UK coins.......

[​IMG]

and that is the reverse,

wyvern and stevex6 like this.
  15. PaddyB

I want! I want! :)

16. PaddyB

I have been away from this forum for some months - partly because I invested most of my spare capital in these 3 coins, and it has taken me this long to work out whether I could afford to keep them! Anyway, here they are, 3 new additions to my Saxon coin collection:
    athelstan.jpg Athelwulf.jpg eadred.jpg
    1. Athelstan 924 to 939 AD, Southern/Mercian variant Athelulf moneyer
    2. Athelwulf 839 to 858 AD, Hundred of Canterbury moneyer
    3. Eadred 946 to 955 AD, NE variant Hunred moneyer

I hope you enjoy!

Eng, wyvern and stevex6 like this.
  17. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

Stunning coins Paddy.....simply stunning. I have found a saxon Sceatta metal detecting, but not a Saxon penny.
    They are expensive to own........nice work!

18. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Sweet new pick-ups, Paddy!! (congrats)

These Saxon coins are very cool and they seem to have a unique look about them (they almost have the appearance of being made out of lead ... I realize they are not made out of lead, but they have that pleasant lead-grey-hue to them)

=> very attractive coins!!

19. wyvern

wyvern Active Member

well done paddy,hang on to them you might not see their like again.
    my modest coin I got recently--I have seen worse---
    KING CNUT 1016-1035 ELFNOD ON LINCO --LINCOLN

Attached Files:

PaddyB and chrsmat71 like this.
  20. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great new additions, Paddy!

21. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Wow awesome coins Paddy, very nice...

Draft saved Draft deleted