Edward the Confessor A.D.1041 to 1066

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by SwK, Apr 7, 2016.

1. SwK

SwK Junior Member

Please add any further known information

Edward-the-Confessor-(1042-1066).jpg
    An important design at this time on the coinage was the ‘SOVEREIGN TYPE’. This coin shows the King seated on a throne, holding a scepter and orb. An idea taken from the Byzantine model as the ART was a reflection of the emperors of the East; this Saxon Penny with its elaborate drapery and rigid outline figure are characteristic of the ART of age of the Paleologi.

The reverse of this coin design of a cross voided between four martlets, this is the first indication of heraldic display on English Coins although this design was not appropriated to heraldry until the reign oh Henry III on the 13th century.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Exceptional coin !

A suggestion if I may, I think the coin would benefit from professional conservation. For unless I miss my guess it has some minor verdigris issues. With proper and very careful storage the verdigris would remain static doing no further harm. But should even minimal moisture (more than low humidity) be present, the verdigris could increase. And that would truly be a shame for like I said, it is an exceptional coin.

SwK likes this.
  4. SwK

SwK Junior Member

I agree 100% with what you have said - just how do I improve the coin?

r
    J

5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Verdigris on silver coins? (really?)

Hmmm, that sucks (usually it keeps its distance and only attacks copper coins) ... maybe there are some copper-based impurities in your coin? (or perhaps the alloy intentionally contains some copper?)

o_O

Oh, but sorry => that is a very cool coin, regardless!! (congrats)

:rolleyes:

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

With coins of lesser quality and significance I'd do it myself with a product caller Verdi-Care. But with that coin, no. I'd use a professional service, this one - http://www.ncscoin.com

Of course what's already done is done, and there is nothing that can be done about that - other than removing what is present (which is what NCS would do). But you can do something about preventing additional corrosion.

Going forward, proper storage is key. Verdigris requires moisture in order to remain active. That moisture can come from several different sources, incidental contact, condensation, and humidity. Humidity of course is the hardest to deal with because it's in the very air we breathe, but it can be managed. And when properly managed even with a coin that already has verdigris on it, the verdigris will become inactive - the corrosion will stop, it won't grow anymore or increase.

Yes, really. While verdigris is most commonly seen on copper coins it is not at all unheard of to find it on silver coins, and even gold coins at times.

stevex6 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted