Edward I Penny Concerns...

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Richard280166, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Richard280166

Richard280166 New Member

Interesting - the coin was listed for sale as 1386 class 2b, 1385 is the same value in Spink - although it all dependent on condition F = £20 GBP VF = £60 GBP. Its good to have a minting date - thank you.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. HammeredCoin

HammeredCoin Active Member

After looking again, now I am having second thoughts about saying definitively that it's 2a. I think your listing is correct saying 2b. The neck on the portrait I think justifies the 2b.

My apologies!

4. Richard280166

Richard280166 New Member

Thanks again - the neck area of the portrait is not the best to see the finer details to aid identification.

5. HammeredCoin

Yea...I think I just jumped the gun on the sub-class. Its very close. The major difference between the class 2a and 2b is the crown. Class 2a crown has a left leaf of the central fleur that is broken. Your example certainly looks that way to me. However, that could just be a bad strike and the neck and drapery of the King are of that of 2b.

6. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

The coin looks fine to me too. :smuggrin:

7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

What does that mean?

8. HammeredCoin

You really don't need to do anything special to the coin. Just keep it in a dry, clean environment and it will be fine. It survived 700+ years underground, it should be fine in your coin cabinet:)

Draft saved Draft deleted