Edward I of England groat

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Nap, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Nap

Nap Well-Known Member

A groat of Edward I (1272-1307)

0174B1D5-89E8-4352-B84B-94C225EEE51C.jpeg

Edward I, “Longshanks”, the “hammer of the Scots”, is one of the most famous (infamous) British kings. He has been characterized as heroic and pious, ambitious and just, a tyrant and cruel. It’s can be challenging to assess the true nature of him in the context of his times.

Edward I introduced the four pence groat in 1279. His father Henry III had experimented with a gold coin, but this is thought to have been produced on a very small scale and is extremely rare with only 7 or 8 known. Other than this, no denomination other than the penny (and cut/round halfpenny) had been produced since early Saxon times.

Edward’s groat was a little more successful than the gold coin, but not by much. The groats were produced between 1279 and 1281, then the denomination abandoned. Most were withdrawn from circulation. Edward III would try again with a four pence groat and this time would be accepted and would be produced for hundreds of years.

Because of the contemporary lack of interest in Edward I’s groat, most were melted down. However, due to the large size and the large cross on the reverse, some were saved for use in jewelry, and it’s not uncommon to find them with gilded reverses. Generally, the obverse and Edward’s face was not gilded.

Most surviving examples, like this one, have some damage. Scratches, bumps, and evidence of mounting or gilding is the norm. High grade unimpaired examples are exceptionally uncommon, and very valuable.

I think around 100 are known to exist, most in low grade or otherwise impaired, and many in institutional collections.

The recent reference is Martin Allen’s article in BNJ 74 (2004) where he builds off the old Fox and later North classification system.

This coin is class F (I think) based on North’s classification scheme.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    NLL, TypeCoin971793, seth77 and 14 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

A wonderful coin. Congrats on adding this rarity to your collection. Alas, I only have a penny of Longshanks.

Edward I.png

England, Plantagenet Kings
    ND AR Penny Edward I 1272-1307 London
    (19.1 mm 1.4 g)
    Class III g, late “S”.
    North 1022 S 1393
    Purchased from H. J. Berk May 15, 2017
    201stBid or Buy sale lot 516

NLL, TypeCoin971793, ken454 and 6 others like this.
  4. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

That is a wonderful groat of Edward I @Nap and a very nice write-up of their introduction. Edward's coinage reform of 1279 is one of the most important in English history. I would love to add an Edward I groat to my collection, but so far only have a penny from class 1c.
    Edward I Penny 1c.jpg
    I also have a series B groat from Edward III, which reintroduced the groat into circulation.
    Edward III Series B .jpg

NLL, TypeCoin971793, ken454 and 7 others like this.
  5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Very nice @Nap !

I have a pedestrian version (been around the block a few times...)

upload_2019-2-2_20-55-0.png
    England Edward I 1272-1307 AR Penny 19mm 1.3g Class 10c 1302-1310 Canterbury facing star - Voided long cross 3 pellets quarters North 1040 ex @Mat

6. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Coingrats on the extremely important, extremely rare and extremely AWESOME coin! Amazing.
    This (I'm pretty sure) was my first medieval coin. ;)Penny for your groat

CollageMaker Plus_20181110165820108.png
    King Edward I
    1280 CE
    Longshanks medieval
    Period Silver Penny
    Coin.London

7. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Interesting write-up & coin. I also have a penny of Edward I from another mint (Lincoln) - at least I think I do as I know almost nothing about this coin. Edward I ruled that 243 pennies should be made from one pound (lb) of silver (approx 450gms) - which I guess makes this one a bit light at 1.3g. Someone trimmed at least a bit from the one edge. The official pound was kept in the Tower of London.

AR Penny of Edward I
    , Class 3 AD 1272-1307 Lincoln
    Edward I Penny Lincoln.jpg
    Obv:
    Crowned facing bust, with three pellets on breast. Legend "EDWR ANGL DNS hYB"
    Rev: Long cross dividing legend, three pellets in each quarter. Legend "CIVI-TAS-LIN-COL"
    Size: 19.5mm, 1.3g

8. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

very nice coin nap... got me a Longshanks penny:D

Seaby-1410.jpg
    England, Edward I, Longshanks, 1272-1307, AR Penny. London mint. + EDWA R ANGL DNS HYB, crowned & draped bust facing / CIVITAS LONDON, long cross with three pellets in each angle.
    Seaby #1410
    18 mm, 1.4g

9. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

A truly wonderful coin!

10. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Very nice aquisition! It is definitely going on the wantlist for sure!

Edward I penny, struck in Dublin

1DABABD6-873C-4207-897C-836A6E810E43.jpeg 644E3744-728A-4E6E-828A-09C5B793D16D.jpeg

NLL, Johndakerftw, Bing and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted