Educate me about this dime please

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Cjeff, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Cjeff

Cjeff New Member

It is a 1972 d dime

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Legomaster1

Legomaster1 Cointalk Patron

Ordinary 1972 dime- worth $0.10. Your dime has some environmental damage.

Info about it:
    91.67% copper, 8.33% nickel composition since 1965
    1972 D dime mintage: over 330 million

What do you see in it?

4. Cjeff

Cjeff New Member

1972 d dime I see more copper in front than nickel.

5. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Looks like staining. If it was missing the clad foil you wouldn't see the silver color showing through.
    Welcome to CoinTalk.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Zackly!

2001-D 50c REV Slab.jpg

Rich Buck and TheFinn like this.
  7. Cjeff

Cjeff New Member

Thank you for all the information very helpful,
    Is there a way to get rid of the staining?

8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Welcome to CT. Question is why would you want to get rid of it since it is only worth face value, but if you wanted to try, I would first try acetone and then water and perhaps some soap.

9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Yes. Spend it!

Ask any other error questions over at the Error Coins forum on CoinTalk next time.
    Not the What's it worth forum.

Kelly-Bob likes this.
  10. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Clad Coins and Nickels change color when there is Environmental Damage.
    Here are my Metal Detected examples -
    20190316_113034-1.jpg
    I have found thousands like these over the years.

11. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

When the copper-nickel alloy, which is on the obverse of this piece, corrodes, it often turns brown. Sometimes it can be black or even green. There is nothing you can do about the brown color, and even if this were a no problem, slightly circualted dime, it would still be worth 10 cents.

12. John Johnson

John Johnson Well-Known Member

Looks like a juke box dime, to me. In diners and bars, the vendors would sometimes paint dimes blue or red and give them to the manager for use only in the jukebox. They painted them so the owner would know not to give the coins out to customers in change. They're interesting, but I don't think there's any extra value in them.

I_like_Morgans likes this.
  13. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

Wow - interesting. But why did vendors do that - restrict coins for use in their juke box only?

14. Kentucky

Early marketing trick to track coin use?

15. JeffC

I don't get it. Then what would they be tracking if it's the same blue or red coins being used for the juke box over and over again? Sorry - I had decaf this morning...

16. Kentucky

My bad...put brain in gear...paper currency stamped was kind of used for that, but the jukebox thing was just the box owners supplying coins for the store owner to use to play the jukebox to stimulate business and he wanted them kept because they were not really being "spent".

John Johnson and JeffC like this.
  17. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

When I lived in Massachusetts, I would get quarter in change that were colored red or blue. They spent just like any other quarters, and I thought nothing of it. The paint wore off the coin without any significant problems from what I could see.

18. John Johnson

John Johnson Well-Known Member

The coins belonged to the vendor who owned the juke box. They were basically letting the managers play music free to get the customers to pay for more.

JeffC likes this.
  19. JeffC

Ah, I see. Thanks.

20. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Most coin-op machines such as the juke box, pool tables, pin ball games, etc. were leased by the bars & taverns. Every week, the owner of the machines would make the rounds to collect the "take". The owner of the bar or tavern would use quarters and dimes painted with nail polish to make sure that the "house coins" were separated from the "take" by the owner of the machines before the "split" was made.

Chris

JeffC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted