Edge Lettering & Position A/B collecting question

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by dave_in_delaware, Mar 16, 2018.

1. dave_in_delaware

dave_in_delaware Active Member

For my circulated US coins collection, I've been happily collecting 3 or 4 of every year/mintmark that I receive from various sources (change, vending machines, Coinstars, CRH, etc).

When I get a nicer specimen, I swap it out for a more worn one. I'm guessing that's what most collectors normally do.

But with the introduction of edge lettering on the Presidential and Sacagawea dollars, I find myself at a sort of loss.

I'm not sure if it's worth doubling the amount of coins I collect just because of the two different position possibilities on each year/mintmark coin. Especially since the position is totally random and the mintage is unknown for each. If I decide to save both positions, that's twice the money tied up for these particular dollar coins. If I decide to save only one position, which one (A or B)? Or should I not save them at all?

Nevermind the fact that these coins will probably turn colors eventually thanks to the particular metal combo. I'm not sure if I'll be a fan of that.

FYI: I save more than one of each year/mintmark so I'll have something to hand down to my 3 kids once I'm gone. It might not be worth much, but two of my children have already started their own collections like their dad has recently.

So, for those of you who collect these dollar coins, what do you do? Both positions? Only one? None? And please let me know your logic, because I'm up in the air about it right now.

Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. I think the Position A/Position B attribute is a joke. It's no better than the "First Strike", "Early Releases" and "First Day of Issue" attributes. Like you said, it is totally random and has no meaningful bearing on the coin, itself.

Chris

dave_in_delaware likes this.
  4. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

I collect just the year and mint mark set. I have no idea if they are position A or B. Don't care because it is intentionally random. A true variety is unintentional in my mind.

5. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

What they said. :) When it comes to the position or orientation of the edge lettering, "A" and "B" are about equally common. If you like to collect both varieties, why not? But I would simply not care ...

Christian

6. dave_in_delaware

dave_in_delaware Active Member

Thanks for your answers. That helps!

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Look at it this way, the capped bust halves, 1793, 94, and 95 large cents, and bust dollars also all come with lettered edges that come in both "A and B positions". I've NEVER heard of anyone that tries to collect both positions for each issue.

chrisild likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted