Edge has inner ring

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Hazmatt, Mar 31, 2024.

1. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Active Member

What is up with this inner raised ring? CM240331-121619004.jpg CM240331-121512001~2.jpg CM240331-121531002~2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Slight Misaligned Die Strike issue.

Cheech9712 and Tall Paul like this.
  4. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Active Member

So does it add value to the coin

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Not really. It's such a a minor issue that it doesn't add any premium.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

A slight MAD as explained. No extra value for it though.

7. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Active Member

8. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Active Member

At first I thought that was a raised ring but after closer inspection it is recessed ( I hope I'm describing it correctly) & there is the same line on the reverse it's just not as noticeable cause it's much thinner line. And the inner ring goes all the way around the inside of the coin.

9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It's just struck a little out of collar. It don't mean jack. Let me give you a tip. You want to seek your fortune, you're in the wrong hobby.

SensibleSal66 and 71Avalon like this.
  10. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Active Member

I'm still learning and what's the point in collecting if it's not going to have value ??? Right?

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  11. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Ever assemble a model airplane or build an electric train layout? Why do people enrage in those hobbies? I'll surmise it's not for the money. You've got a lot to learn about this hobby, if you think it is. I just hope for your sake you don't all but lose your mind in the process. I'd never like to see something like that happen to anybody, no way. But to a hobbyist, it's never about "value." To a commodities investor, it's about value. So one asks oneself, is one investing in commodities, or is one collecting coins? And if it's commodities, then good luck, friend, you're going to need it, because the only ones who make money on coins are dealers, the rest of us lose. Never met a coin collector who came out in the black selling a collection. That's not to say there aren't any. But it is to say, if you're not learning to get enjoyment out of coin collecting for its own sake, it's probably time to move on and look for some other "hobby" you can sink yourself into, because this one isn't cutting it for you. Try knitting. You like to sew? My grandma was a great knitter. I still got a blanket she knitted me, I like it a lot.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2024
    SensibleSal66 and 71Avalon like this.
  12. 71Avalon

71Avalon Well-Known Member

I totally agree. In all the years I spent collecting and roll hunting I've hardly ever found anything worth more than a buck or two. It's not about value, it's about finding something neat to add to the collection. Probably the most valuable thing I've found was a 2021 "burning building" strike-through Tuskegee quarter. Even that wouldn't really fetch much if I chose to sell it, which I won't. Not about value for me...never has been.

eddiespin likes this.
  13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Wrong in my book. It’s a hobby and therefore it costs money. In order to make money with a hobby like coins you buy and hold to build a collection, not get rich. You can make money in this hobby but it’s not easy. Coin prices go up and down like a yo-yo.

SensibleSal66, 71Avalon and eddiespin like this.
  14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Thing is, go here, ask the same question (i.e., "I'm still learning and what's the point in collecting if it's not going to have value ??? Right?"), then come back here and tell us what they tell you: https://www.thefossilforum.com/. You're going to be told the same thing. The breath of knowledge on fossils on that website is staggering. People hunt fossils and share their finds there for the same reason we hunt coins, because it's interesting and rewarding, and that's all, and not because we're seeking our fortunes. We've jobs for that. And even a dumb animal like I know it. That is to say, dumb but handsome, give me some credit. :)

15. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Our fellow enthusiasts have said it: the joy of the hobby is in doing.

It’s nice when you can make money but it is an infrequent event. Most collections are purchased for cents-on-the-dollar, especially if a collector buys the common coinage in a series.

It appears that you are approaching it right by checking circulation specimens. You can find many fine coins including error coins and variety coins. Just keep in mind that most finds will be under $1. Most of those will only have intrinsic value to a few collectors who would be willing to pay a premium. Net gains at any rate will be marginal.

so, as suggested, leverage the joy in the hobby as that’s the real payback.

71Avalon likes this.
  16. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Active Member

You are all right cause I do have some items that have no real value other than the education from our ancestors and the tools they had to use, like these. 20200527_175818.jpg

Attached Files:

Intaglio31 and SensibleSal66 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted