Edge Ding.

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Mojavedave, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

I judge this 1878 CC as a (VF) 1878 CC Edge-2 8284.JPG 1878 CC Obv-2 8284.JPG 1878 CC Rev 8284.JPG 1878 CC Edge-2 8284.JPG 1878 CC Obv-2 8284.JPG 1878 CC Rev 8284.JPG 1878 CC Edge 8284.JPG very fine coin. However there is a ding at the 11:00 O'clock position. Just wondering how many drops in grade would a rim dent like this cause?

Endeavor likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

If you clipped your nails this would not have happened.;) But I could not guess an answer but it will most likely get a "Details" on the slab.

TJ1952, gronnh20 and Mojavedave like this.
  4. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I don't know if it would grade at all with that damage. Details slab.

gronnh20 and tommyc03 like this.
  5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

You could be spot on as a slab would most likely hide this ding. Very hard to see anything from the shots here straight on.

6. smarch

smarch Active Member

Hey, you been drinking? Respect someone enough not to tell them to clip their nails, are you their mother?

7. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

That is not what numismatists call a "ding." The coin has a damaged edge and the rim under the date may have been repaired. It is a perfect coin for an album as the damage should be hidden.

gronnh20 likes this.
  8. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Did you notice the wink? It was a light-hearted kid; nothing more or less, but certainly less offensive than "you been drinking?"

Kentucky, tommyc03 and paddyman98 like this.
  9. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Have not had a drink in close to 21 years. It was a joke my friend, and a light hearted one. But as the Joker was fond of saying..."Why so serious son..."

tomfiggy and Kentucky like this.
  10. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

I have been around long enough to know when someone is kidding around and Tommy is one of the good guys.

tomfiggy and tommyc03 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted