Eccentric coin from Portugal

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by gerrikabeitia, Oct 18, 2014.

1. gerrikabeitia

gerrikabeitia Active Member

Portugal is issuing a bimetallic coin (gold and silver) to commemorate the 100th anniversary of their first commemorative issue.
    The "coin" is eccentric where the gold piece (a replica of a 10 escudos) encrusted on the rim of the silver coin (a replica of the 1914 issue of the implantation of the republic).
    To be honest it appears as a bizarre medal but possibly people will want to collect it.

The coin:
    10243420140206122710931.png
    The original 1914 coin:

Escudo 1914.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

So in 100 more years will they be commemorating the 200th anniversary of their first commemorative or will it be a commemorative to commemorate the commemorative of their first commemorative?

[​IMG]

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

We heard you liked coins, so we put a coin in your coin so you can look at a coin while you're looking at a coin.

5. gerrikabeitia

gerrikabeitia Active Member

Lol! Something like that! They must be running out of ideas because lately they are using a lot of reproduction of old coins!

6. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

I'm not a big fan of Portuguese coins. Nothing draws me to them. They seem crazy busy looking. This bimetallic does not help in that regard. To make it worse, the two large commemoratives I have are cleaned. Maybe they need a reminder of what simple coin designs are really all about...

20centavos.jpg
    20centavos-2.jpg

10centavos.jpg
    10centavos-2.jpg

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
    stevex6 likes this.
  7. John Anthony

Each to his own. I bought a set of pre-Euro coins precisely because I found the busyness appealing.

002.JPG 003.JPG

Seattlite86 likes this.
  8. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

9. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Looks like it has a lot of "rattler" potential.

10. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I'll take a set for 3.5 euros; where can I get one??

11. torontokuba

If anything, the OP coin proves they make a conscious effort to put enough details for two coins, into each single coin design. What clutter. Maybe the gold piece will pop up to reveal a boat design hidden beneath it?:rolleyes:

stevex6 likes this.
  12. John Anthony

More than 3.50 Euros with shipping, but still not bad.

eBay link

Seattlite86 likes this.
  13. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Busy, hmm? I don't like all Portuguese issues, but what I do appreciate is the variety of designs. Links only here as they don't have much to do with the topic ...

Football Euro Cup: Goalkeeper with Ball 2004
    Henry the Navigator 2006
    World Heritage: Coimbra 2014 (will be issued next month)

Note that these are collector coins which, unlike the commemorative (€2) coins, are legal tender in the issuing member state only. And they don't actually circulate anyway. The 2.50 euro piece in the first post, by the way, has a maximum mintage of 2,500 (proof only) and costs about €170 ...

Christian

14. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

"PS" - This video (with some explanations in Portuguese which I don't really understand ...) shows the production of the piece.

Christian

15. torontokuba

16. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Maybe our different perceptions also have something to do with the fact that my links are about three coins from the past few years while yours seem to focus on coins from 2000 and before. Well, there is no accounting for taste, and some recent Portuguese coins I do not find great either. But they issue lots of different coins with very different designs. This one (centennial of the first commem of the republic) I just find a bit too gimmicky ...

Christian

17. torontokuba

I really like Latvia's simple approach to their circulation commemoratives. Finland is probably the best at keeping it simple and clean looking. They love their minimalistic designs.

18. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

19. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Thank you for sharing the link

20. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Well-Known Member

I kinda like it, in an abstract kind of way. But would I buy it? Prolly not.

Rob

Draft saved Draft deleted