eBays charging TAX on sales! (Where goeth Thou?)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by J.T. Parker, Jul 14, 2020.

1. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

I've been Buying & Selling recently on eBay and have noticed their adding 'State'? taxes
    to each purchase. Is this a California thing and all revenues go to CA, or being that my sales are from TX does TX receive the sales tax?
    Inquiring minds would appreciate knowledgeable 'explains'.
    Thanks,
    J.T.

Robert Ransom likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

J.T. Parker and Robert Ransom like this.
  4. JCKTJK

JCKTJK Well-Known Member

I think for my state WV they started the first of the year, Amazon is also doing the same, I have not been charged sales tax for Silver or Gold coins from Ebay, not sure if Amazon does as i have never purchased coins or Bullion from them. the Tax should go to the state of purchaser, all states differ with their sales tax, WV is 6% unless they have changed it lately, i would expect most states will be raising taxes across the board to cover their shortfalls from the China Virus.

5. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

It was the Wayfair Supreme Court case that required this. Horrible decision overturning Quill.

Worst part is Ebay charges sales tax on goods not taxable in that state. They do not really try to differentiate and follow state rules, just charge it on everything.

NSP, NOS, J.T. Parker and 2 others like this.
  6. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Sold an item on eBay and they charged the buyer ~$9.35. Buyer returned item and I refunded the whole amount including the sales tax, to the buyer. eBay would not return the sales tax to me and kept it for themselves.

7. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

All above experiences & explanations sincerely appreciated.
    I've not sold anything in several years so had not read the new information
    available.
    Thanks again group,
    J.T.

ddddd likes this.
  8. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

This whole thing of charging sales tax not only when you buy something outside of your state but outside of the country is abhorrent!!! Last year I bought a used music CD from a seller in the UK and I was charged sales tax! It is simply awful.

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

They didn't keep it for themselves, they remitted it to the state the buyer was in. You will have to file a claim with that states department of revenue for a refund of the overpayment of tax.

10. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

To be fair they do try to differentiate what should and shouldn't be taxed, it's just that there's a billion different tax laws around the country and one of the reasons why the decision was so dumb.

What's really absolute garbage is PayPal charges their fees based off the total that INCLUDES the sales tax or import charges/GST etc on international purchases. So if you sell something for $10 and they get taxed $2 PayPal charges the seller fees based off the full $12 because no one has made a law saying they can't do that

NOS likes this.
  11. nuMRmatist

nuMRmatist Well-Known Member

Used to be that NC buyer + NC seller = state tax.

Don't know what has changed last year or so .......

12. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

Draft saved Draft deleted