eBAY?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Neomas, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Neomas

Neomas New Member

I was just wondering if anyone has bought anything on ebay ie:"unsearched rolls""bag of wheaties" and been satisfied or disgruntled by their find.?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

You need to be careful on how much you spend on such lots as there ARE unsearched lots of coins out there, but there are just as many if not more that have actually been searched and now are being resold.

4. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

Look at the seller's feedback to see if they are habitual posters of "unsearched" rolls or "recently" acquired estate collections. Another trick to stay away from is the roll scamsters that stick a marginally higher value coin on one or both ends of the coin roll to make you think there's treasure within. Happy hunting.

5. Pi man

Pi man Well-Known Member

I bought an 'unsearched' roll of wheats with an IHC ender just as an 'experiment'. It was very disappointing; I paid only around $5 and barely made my money back. I will never make that mistake again!

6. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

All of the rolls and bags on eBay are "unsearched", didn't you know? And when the buyer sells it, its unsearched again! There are several explanations to this phenomenon, but nothing really confirmed by modern science yet.

7. coinguy-matthew

coinguy-matthew Ike Crazy

8. urbanchemist

urbanchemist US/WORLD CURRENCY JUNKIE

9 times out of 10 they are searched

9. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

More like 999 out of 1000 are searched.

10. therocktjb

therocktjb Wait, what**

Just go into it knowing you're going to get 2 coins on the end that may or may not be decent, and then a bunch of extremely common 40's and 50's.

11. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

There are no unsearched rolls on eBay!

12. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Never.

Unsearched is a marketing term used too loosely on eBay to get buyers interested in the listing.

99.999% of those listings contain rolls that have been searched and nothing but common stuff in them. Only a small number of rolls on eBay would yield something worth finding.

13. westnlas

westnlas Member

I was very unhappy with a purchase I made some time ago. The description was worded as an unsearched roll of cents with a 25S and 42 Mercury dimes on the ends. I read it as dimes on both ends. But it was a 25S cent. I felt the wording was misleading, but now know enough to really examine the description now and to ask questions of the seller before making a purchase.

Since then, I am very happy with many of the items I bought on eBay. One lot of Washington quarters I purchased had the rare 1962 type B reverse. So there are some finds to be made.

Good luck

14. mmablaster

mmablaster Member

One of the worst buys I've made on ebay was an "unsearched wheat roll" with an Indian penny on one end. I'd go with 99% of unsearched rolls being searched.

15. Clutchy

Clutchy Well-Known Member

My favorite auction was " unsearched wheat roll with a 1909-s on the end. vdb ???? "

16. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

...and now for an actually helpful answer...

Any roll that is listed with a coin on the other end, that does not fit, stay away from.

Ex:

-Roll of Indian Cents with Seated Dime on End.

-Roll of Jefferson Nickels with a Shield Nickel on the End.

Logic speaks loudly here. Machine rolling did not exist back then. Everything was rolled by hand. No one would roll a dime on the end of a penny roll. It just wasn't something you would do. Jefferson Nickels 1st saw mintage in 1938, while shield nickels ended their run in 1883, almost 60 years before.

The chance of there being a shield nickel on the end of a Jefferson roll is pretty slim.

So now your thinking, is ANYTHING unsearched? Yes, unlike the above posters, you CAN buy unsearched coins, but the main thing to remember, is understanding what may and may not be unsearched.

Unsearched wheat pennies exist in bulk. Bags of 500-1000 and on up.

Often times a coin shop will not have the time to sit down and sort through wheat pennies, so they sell them in bulk. I have purchased bulk lots before, and found some decent coins.

The trick? Never pay more than bulk rate. Never pay more than 5 cents each for wheat pennies in bulk. That way if you don't find anything, you DID NOT loose any money.

Rolls of "unsearched" are not that great. You end up paying more.

The second thing that can be unsearched are Original Bank Wrapped rolls, or OBW.

Anything from wheat cents to Franklin half dollars can be found in OBW rolls. The trick here is to look at the roll, and check the sellers feedback.

Old OBW rolls look "loose", like this:
    [​IMG]

They don't look like this:
    [​IMG]

People often sell OBW rolls of Lincoln cents. People like to search them for errors. I found a blank planchet in a roll of 1961 cents.

Next up, unsearched rolls of Kennedy halves. Yes, people sell bank rolls of Kennedy half dollars, with the "chance of finding silver".

However, once you pay the mark up, your not doing so well. It's better to get them from the bank. Shipping is a killer online.

Lastly, there is one more "unsearched".

That is ancient coins. You can purchase bulk uncleaned ancient coins on the internet. This often makes for a fun activity of cleaning them and looking for anything legible.

So yes, you can find unsearched, but always check the eBay feedback 1st.

17. urbanchemist

urbanchemist US/WORLD CURRENCY JUNKIE

i don't find your answer anymore helpful than anyone else who posted here. also just because a roll looks like the one you posted doesn't mean it is unsearched. there is a thread right now regarding someone selling unsearched rolls of morgan dollars. they look just like what you posted. someone posted that seller a week before with a link on ebay to buy vintage unused roll paper. so stop discounting what others post.

18. rockyyaknow

rockyyaknow Well-Known Member

just wait in 50 years we will probably see these on ebay with a 1/10 AGE on an end and stating it is unsearched!

19. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

If I gotta around to selling my thousands of wheats I would sell them as "searched by me for what I was looking for, but not what you were looking for..."

20. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

Exactly, and worth re-quoting. You have zero chance of "ever" buying a pure unsearched roll of wheats on the 'bay... you'll have better luck hitting the lottery.
    That said, there is an upside to buying them if you can get them cheap.
    1 - They are an easy way to fill the easy holes in a book.
    2 - It is kinda fun
    3 - You get to buy a "dream" (of finding something really rare and expensive).. kinda like that $ you spend on a lotter ticket.
    ... they money you spend is not on the item, but rather the dream.
    ... but keep them dreams cheap !!

21. rockyyaknow

rockyyaknow Well-Known Member

Well put. Even though there will be nothing special inside the rolls it may be worth the excitment for some. Plus you usually get what you pay for with these auctions, the coins that you can see.

Draft saved Draft deleted