eBay: wonder how THIS will play out...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by -jeffB, Feb 13, 2022.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

This just came up on the Bay:

1944 Henning Jefferson Nickel - No Mintmark, Not Silver, Looped R

I suppose for moral consistency I should report it, since it's in violation of eBay's rather heavy-handed and inflexible policies. I won't, though. Henning nickels are their own class of collectible.

There are 18 completed auctions for Henning nickels at the moment. Does eBay carve out an exception for these, officially or unofficially?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I would like one. But I would not pay that much for one.

MIGuy likes this.
  4. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Yea prices are outrageous for them.They sell within the $150-$200 range average I'm still looking for a cheap one.

MIGuy likes this.
  5. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

I think that is a crazy price. I found mine bag searching. I just wanted it because it is in the Redbook for many years with an *

UncleScroge likes this.
  6. Timewarp

Timewarp Intrepid Traveler

Guess I'll look thru all my Nickels just out of curiosity.

7. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I'm evidently, not much of a coin collector because I have never heard of that nickel. I don't collect many nickels except the WAR NICKELS, because they have silver in their "mix."

8. Bob Evancho

Bob Evancho Well-Known Member

Does anyone know which Henning 1944 nickel is rarer? The one as noted with the looped or defective R or the one with the dot over the left side of the Monticello building.

9. Lueds

Lueds Well-Known Member

These are a sought after collectible. They do not, as such, contravene eBay policies as I understand it. They are classified as a contemporary counterfeit, and like other contemporary counterfeits, they are known and much sought after exonumia.

Mr.Q and MIGuy like this.
  10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

From those photos, I would question that it is a Henning and not just a hit and damage to the R.

11. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Agree that the R might be damage, but the pics are too fuzzy. I hope the new buyer at least confirmed the weight before making an offer (if I recall correctly, many Hennings are around 5.4 gms)

12. Lueds

Lueds Well-Known Member

You are correct 5.4 grams as opposed to 5.0 grams

For those that don't know there are a few years that were affected by Hennings shenanigans. 1939, 44, 46, 47 and 53. Not all have the 'Looped R', there are other markers on Obv and Rev to look for if it is missing the 'Looped R'

Mr.Q and Marsden like this.
  13. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

As a nickel collector who had just about every Jefferson nickel minted at one time....and I've never had any interest in these nickels.
    I find them way over priced for a fake coin....as well sort of confused as to why these counterfeits are so popular. Personally I would rather have something else at the same price point.

Mr.Q and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  14. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Two complete sets one for each granddaughter. They are a pain to find in AU condition at a reasonable price. Thank goodness I'm done and have moved on.

Lueds likes this.
  15. Lueds

Lueds Well-Known Member

They are 'contemporary' counterfeits, meant to be used as currency with the currency of the day.

The current rash of counterfeits which are being produced are made to cash in on the collector who knows no better, not for currency.

Many of the EAC coinage have contemporary cf's which are also highly sought after by collectors today, they were used as currency of the day, not generally to fool collectors.

Yes the Hennings have skyrocketed in price the past 2 or so years, I used to think $50+ was a bit much, but like the whole market post C19 prices have gone stupid.

16. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

I think it's more about the story than the coin itself. Just my opinion.

17. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Probably so but my father was a fed who worked his time in bad checks,and counterfeit money...
    So im sort of like someone who was raised in a reglious home....and I was that also...but my father spent 47 years dealing with counterfeit money and bad checks and I guess his occupation made an impression on me as to not buying into fake goods.

18. potty dollar 1878

It actually sold for the $180 im not surprised but i don't have those deep pockets.I can think of a lot more better coins worth that price.Let me know when they reach into the $5-$10 range;)(that will most likely never ever happen).

19. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Of course that will happen… once the Chinese figure coin collectors pay strong money for them they’ll fake the fakes :-D

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  20. potty dollar 1878

The Chinese have been at it for years already!!!:):).

21. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Almost chenuine Hennings…?

Draft saved Draft deleted