eBay, what would you have bid?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Seattlite86, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Okay, this one is a recent purchase of mine. I don't have the coins yet and I have no idea if this risk was worth it. I'll provide seller photos and info given and I'd love to hear what you'd have tossed out for a bid.

Item Description:
    Circulating and commemoratives from the US.
    In total $208.57 (279 coins)
    - 55x One (1) US Dollar Coin (Years between 1922 until 2002)
    - 57x Half (1/2) US Dollar Coin (Years between 1943 until 2015)
    - 114x Quarter (1/4) US Dollar Coin (Years between 1967 until 2013)
    - 27x Five (5) Cents US Dollar Coin (Years between 1971 until 2005)
    - 22x One (1) Cent US Dollar Coin (Years between 1971 until 2009)
    - 1x Fifty (50) US Dollar Coin (Years 1994)
    - 2x Twenty (20) US Dollar Coin (Years 1994 and 2005)
    - 1x Five (5) US Dollar Coin (Years 1994)

Seller's photos (6 of 11):
    s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (5).jpg

@stldanceartist @sakata @SuperDave @Paddy54 @-jeffB @NLL @David Setree Rare Coins @Mike Thorne @Michael K @harley bissell

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Photos 7 through 10:
    s-l1600 (6).jpg s-l1600 (7).jpg s-l1600 (8).jpg s-l1600 (9).jpg

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Man, that's a lot of stuff to puzzle through.

The five/20/50 dollar coins are ringers, of course; I think the 5 is base metal, but the 20 and 50 may have silver content.

I generally discount non-silver proofs that have been handled and stacked to face value, although I probably wouldn't spend them. That Florida quarter on the top of the stack looks silver, and there might be a couple others in the stacks, but I wouldn't count on it.

I see at least 6 90% halves, and it looks like there may be a few more. No telling if any of them are worth more than melt.

Looks like some of the Ikes in that top stack are 40%, but it also looks like there are some 90% dollars mixed in. I can't even count how many coins are in the stacks of dollars in capsules, but I would assume they're all 90% commemoratives, and value them at melt.

This is a lot that I probably wouldn't get, because (a) I'd only see it if it were BIN, and (b) by the time I got done figuring out whether it was a good value, someone else would've beaten me to it. $200 FV total, with say at least two dozen 90% dollars at $12 premium each takes us to about $500, plus $30 for the 90% halves I can see, plus $20 for a few 40% Ikes -- I would've hit BIN at $550, but like I said, someone else would've beaten me to it. Higher than that, I'd have to study more, and maybe get some better pictures or further info from the seller. Lower than that, I would've stopped counting and bought more quickly. :)

Waiting to hear what you paid and what you got, again...

Seattlite86 likes this.
  5. Seattlite86

This was my hardest one yet and I'm nervous about whether I broke even. Mainly because of the unknowns and potentials. One of the coins is a $20 reproduction double eagle and the $50 was a martial islands and only worth around $13. It was not a BIN, which also complicates things because bids always seem to jump as the end nears. I'll wait for more input before I reveal (admit) what I paid and then I'll post an update when the coins arrive.

6. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I would have placed more weight into the results of trying to read the seller than I would the description. While it very much looks like the type of mixture often claimed to be and offered as a supposed "collection", the seller's history should (may) help tell the story. If from someone with no history of selling such material, perhaps you'll get luckily; stranger things have happened.

Either way, it's a gamble knowingly shouldered, so if it doesn't work out as well as we all surely hope, don't take it out on them.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  7. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I saw this one myself and immediately dismissed it as too vague to consider. For example: "55x One (1) US Dollar Coin (Years between 1922 until 2002)" could be a culled Peace dollar and 54 Sacagaweas.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  8. Seattlite86

Seller listed it as shipped already and provided a tracking number. I assume it'll be picked up in the next 24 hours and be on the way. Seller did not seem to misrepresent anything and provided quite a few photos. As long as the number of coins matches what is listed, seller will get 5 stars all around (regardless of if I break even).

ddddd likes this.
  9. Seattlite86

Thank you for not bidding against me ;)

sakata likes this.
  10. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Now, if only others would follow your lead.... ;)

Does the seller have any history of selling coins?

Seattlite86 and ddddd like this.
  11. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

That looks like one of those specifically designed lots to get people to overbid on junk because they see some silver sprinkled in imo.

Also the claimed 5 (non silver), 20 and 50 dollar U.S. coins are not U.S. coins they look to be Marshall islands coins (these two are silver, Fifty Dollar coin is one troy ounce of .999 silver, 20 looks to be roughly 1/2 oz) and goes without saying the 33' Double Eagle is a fake but may be a silver round if lucky I guess.

So you're really looking at $113.57 in FV U.S. coins.
    https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces42353.html
    https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces83529.html

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Seattlite86 likes this.
  12. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I do spot plus face and just consider the mystery items a bonus for this sort of thing. Though I don’t get them very often, it’s usually a decent enough score when I do.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Ooh. Wonder if I would've caught myself in time for taking that FV statement at, well, face value... :oops:

Seattlite86 likes this.
  14. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

I know I've had a few BIN regrets that wouldn't have occurred if I taken a better look. But when the adrenal is rushing and it's a race against someone else buying it first mistakes happen lol.

Seattlite86 and -jeffB like this.
  15. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

I probably would not pay more than e00 dollars for the lot. As @Blissskr pointed out the actual face value is far less than what is claimed. It is also hard to tell what coins are actually silver. Further more it appears that at least one of the silver dollars in the stack is clad. So it would not be worth as much as say a Morgan silver dollar. Also most of the coins pictured are worth face value and are just junk. I do however like the looks of the silver and that would be where all the value is. I hope it pays off for you.@Seattlite86.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  16. Seattlite86

Actually, this seller has only one feedback. Over here, we often pay through direct bank transfer. I'd have probably avoided it, but this seller allowed payment through paypal, so I thought it a reasonable risk.

17. Seattlite86

Okay, that's fair, but if you're doing spot plus, how much silver do you think is in there? I'm not sure I can pull a $ amount from your answer.

18. Seattlite86

Yep, it took me some time going through the photos and I realized that several of the coins were not actual US value. It certainly changes things when $75 was not actually face value.

19. Seattlite86

Yes, I studied the pictures for a while, I'm still not sure what's good and not... did you want to drop your value?

20. Seattlite86

Same here, but luckily, or unluckily, this was not a BIN. Here's a very recent BIN that my adrenaline started racing on and I kept thinking I was going to make a mistake. Not a large value, but I love buying under melt. The seller only provided one photo. I picked it up for about $23.50. Seller's description:
    2 x HALF DOLLAR 1964 Kennedy
    1 x HALF DOLLAR 1972 "
    2 x HALF DOLLAR 1939 u. 1942 Walking LIBERTY
    2 x QUARTER $ 1964 u. 1965.
    1 x ONE DIME 1970
    s-l1600 (11).jpg

21. Seattlite86

Thanks, was that "e" a 3 or 4?

Draft saved Draft deleted