Ebay Watch List Thread

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jasontheman07, Mar 25, 2011.

1. jasontheman07

jasontheman07 New Member

Ebay Watch List - Newbie Help Thread

Often I will see ebay auctions and wonder if they are a good deal... and rather than annoy everyone with a new thread every time I want help rating an ebay listing, I thought I would start this thread.

So, I will be posting all the auctions that I find on ebay that may be a good deal, and hope that members with more experience will tell me if the listings I find are a good deal, or not, or they are fake, or real etc...

Also, feel free to post your ebay listing questions here too!
    Cheers, and happy ebaying!
    Jason

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jasontheman07

jasontheman07 New Member

OK, to start off I found this listing on ebay of a 1972 J Silver 10 Mark Munich Olympic Flame coin... is this a good deal at the buyitnow price?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180643935440&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

*edit* sorry, this is not a Buy It Now Price! guess I will have to wait to see how the auction play out in the next 5 days.. it certainly looks real from my googling, and the seller says it's guaranteed to be authentic .3115 silver weight.. so will be adding this to my watch list for sure!

4. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Yep. The ill fated 72 Oly's. Off the top of my head I think its about 1/3 oz. of silver. IMG_9298.jpg IMG_9299.jpg
    Here is one of mine from the same German set.

5. jasontheman07

jasontheman07 New Member

very nice! i like this one better than the olympic rings i think

6. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

I think there were around 6 of the set. I have 3 or 4 not sure.

7. jasontheman07

jasontheman07 New Member

8. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Take 20% off the Redbook price and you're more in the ballpark.

9. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm sure its real. I don't have my redbook so I don't know the mintage, but that's pretty circulated. Still, if it's more of a key date, that's not a bad coin to fill a hole.
    My suggestion:http://cgi.ebay.com/1895-MORGAN-DOLLARS-NGC-PR8_W0QQitemZ120701227355QQcategoryZ39466QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m8QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DMW%26its%3DC%26itu%3DUCC%26otn%3D5%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8008972980906550483#ht_1438wt_902
    A heavily circulated proof. And same ballpark price (j/k).
    My real suggestion: If it's your first morgan, get a common date near-MS coin. It'll be cheapish, and give you a lot more detail to show off to people. Also, it'll give you something to compare future purchases to.

10. seasnake

seasnake Junior Member

I would grade the morgan VG and the discoloration looks like an old rim bump thats been worn down. Not a pretty coin but probably worth $60-$70 at best.

11. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

Jason, I'd like to suggest to you that your start doing some study on your own . Spend some of this money that you may be burning up or throwing away in these auctions and buy a copy of the ANA Grading Standards and spend some time studying . If you don't learn some basic grading skills , you will be doomed to always being someone's huckleberry .

12. USMoneylover

USMoneylover Active Member

Great advice. +1

13. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

That item is not a BIN, it's an auction with 2 bids so far, and the seller has disclosed the amount of silver in that coin so I see nothing wrong with that listing.

14. bigjpst

bigjpst Well-Known Member

I can't believe NGC only gave that coin a PF 8. It looks like it has much more detail than the average VG 8. And then there is the rarity bump. But grading circulated proofs is definately not my strong point.

15. Player11

Player11 Bullish

I think you need to take responsibility for your own research.

16. tequilaDave

tequilaDave Junior Member

I'm not a fan of the Red book so when I need an FMV price, I look at Numismedia. They list an 1902-S in VG at $55, so the coin isn't too out of range. And it does look real to me.
    Also, I noticed a poster rec'ed you buy the ANA grading book. While that's not a bad idea, I would direct you to the PCGS photograde site, it's very nice, very good photos and very free. Here's a link - http://www.pcgs.com/photograde/

Draft saved Draft deleted