Ebay Warning...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by tommyc03, Mar 22, 2018.

1. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

If anyone remembers my post about a coin company in Colorado...I received a warning from ebay today about certain things I discussed with the buyer. We were having a problem trying to figure out why he could not request an invoice, short story on that, I resolved it with ebay. Now, he sends me his phone # so we can discuss this problem. I get a strike for that? I send him a message inviting him to Coin Talk, strike 2? He wants to know my credentials on attributing errors. I tell him I use doubleddie.com, strike 3? Kind of ridiculous don't you think? I'm imagining this was generated as a result of their system sorting out certain no, no's. Now awaiting a call back from ebay to get this nonsense straightened out and removed. Anyone else ever have this happen?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

You can't exchange ANY information on their emails now, they're trying to really lock down everything to keep the sales there.

tommyc03 likes this.
  4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Just found that out with a return call from them. Sometimes you just can't win when trying to be helpful. Oh well, sorry for the venting.

5. baseball21

Most of their decisions over the last year or so have just made everything worse. Unfortunately no one wants to compete with the, so people trying to be helpful just keep getting the groin kicks

Paul M. and tommyc03 like this.
  6. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

But even so, why should YOU get a strike because he gave his phone number?

What a load of BS this is...

tommyc03 likes this.
  7. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Kind of like a dictatorship.

8. baseball21

It’s better than that. Go read up on their policy of charge final value fees on things they think you sold off site from an on-site buyer

tommyc03 likes this.
  9. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

The lady agreed with the other person giving me his phone number was wrong to ding me for. It was all auto generated based on key words/numbers. She said there would be no impact on my account and that it was just a warning.

abuckmaster147 likes this.
  10. BooksB4Coins

A warning for everything or just what you had nothing to do with?

Nathan401 likes this.
  11. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I did find out that any sales outside of ebay they can confirm through their messaging system, at their discretion, will result in fees being added to your Pay Pal account equaling what would be charged if done through them. That was new to me.

12. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

A warning for using Wexler's site as a reference for attribution and for mentioning Coin Talk. Not for the buyer sending me his phone number.

13. baseball21

Yep one of the biggest jokes and of course will just hit small sellers as big sellers would be likely to legally challenge it

tommyc03 likes this.
  14. BooksB4Coins

I stopped personally using eBay years ago after two different utterly ridiculous experiences. One was taking an nearly $2900 beating from what was a blatant fraud (although this was mostly PayPal's fault), and the other was being charged three times for a single lot of mostly junk silver using the second chance option. This considered, do I really want to know?

How in the hell can they place a number upon what was sold off-site, and what basis do they have for believing such a transaction took place?

Paul M. likes this.
  15. BooksB4Coins

Man, I'd be fuming!!

As they say, no good deed....

tommyc03 likes this.
  16. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I guess it would like in this case of mine. Use the final value of this transaction to charge those fees.

17. baseball21

Because they said so in their update and until someone legally fights it it'll happen.

No one wants to compete with them though so they'll prosper as long as their fees stay much lower than auction sites which they currently are.

Paul M. and tommyc03 like this.
  18. BooksB4Coins

I vaguely remember you asking about some "grader" in Colorado, but forget the details. Did you openly discuss said transaction in detail via eBay?

19. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

WOW, Tommy...you're on double-secret probation!!!

20. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

No, we mostly discussed just the details of the coins attribution, my credentials in doing attributions and how to figure out why he could not get an adjusted invoice. Yes, it was the same one "grader" in Colorado. The problem was at my end as I had not set a multiple item availability listing so that I could change the shipping fees. He wanted 8 rolls of the coins and kept getting 8 X shipping. I ironed that out with ebay over the phone. I originally set it up for one roll at a set shipping and was trying to offer him free shipping if he purchased all 8 rolls.

21. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

It all ended well with the buyer though. He got his coins, was thrilled and left excellent feedback. I'll just have to be more careful in the future with trying to be so helpful, which ebay is always telling us to be as descriptive and helpful to buyers as we possibly can. Guess I won't be getting as many new members over here as I once thought I might.

Draft saved Draft deleted