Ebay taxing exempt items - I'm done!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by TheFinn, Oct 10, 2019.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Just did a quick check for a Barber dime, and it looks like eBay is (properly) not adding sales tax. They do add sales tax for a non-coin item I just checked. So, hooray, I guess...?

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TyCobb

TyCobb A product of PMD

I do not believe this constitutes a single transaction as it is multiple sellers which really means multiple transactions.

upload_2019-10-12_19-13-49.png

However, it also appears that eBay only looks at items individually for the tax and not the entire cart as shown here where they are all from the same seller, but tax is removed only on the 10oz bar once I hit $1500 on it. It still wants to charge tax on the other 3. Someone just needs to alert them to fix it. No reason to get the pitch forks out yet.
    upload_2019-10-12_19-20-45.png

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Well, this is interesting: I found an Apollo gold listed under "Collectibles", but it also didn't show tax on the checkout page. So they aren't basing this solely off category. I wonder what is going on?

Edit: I've tried a bunch of stuff under Collectibles, and it's not adding tax on any of them. What the heck?

5. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

Interesting - and I'll qualify my following statement saying that I am not familiar with CA sales tax law or how the State has addressed the internet sales tax issue.

But my initial thoughts are a shopping cart full of multiple items from a single seller or full of multiple goods from multiple sellers shouldn't matter. It is basically no different than buying from a single BM store whose inventory consists of items consigned from many different people. Such as an antique mall for instance. Although your shopping cart is full of multiple items; it consist of items consigned and being sold by multiple people but is treated as a single transaction of the buyer.

masterswimmer likes this.
  6. josephrg

josephrg Member

Just noticed that ebay is charging sales tax on my ancient coin purchases. I live in MA. Even coins I buy from the UK are taxed so i guess it does not matter where the coins are purchased.

7. diburning

diburning Member

Here's the thing. eBay is not forcing you to collect sales tax. They're collecting it on your behalf and is remitting it on your behalf.

When a bidder/buyer buys something, two charges hit their card. First one is the payment to the seller, and the second one is a payment to eBay for the tax. It's asinine and it trips some card issuers' fraud detection.

8. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I get that, but it's different for residents of states which advocate proactively against the Wayfair legislation. eBay expects sellers who are required to collect the tax to sign up for the automatic eBay system of tax collection. Since NH is among those states which have decided to defend their remote sellers against Wayfair, those sellers can, in good conscience, not sign up for the eBay tax collection.

Therefore, there is no second eBay charge for eBay goods purchased from NH eBay sellers . . . other states would be smart to get on board with legislation similar to that in NH.

Chuck_A likes this.
  9. justafarmer

This is not correct - it hinges on the sales tax laws of the state a NH Ebay seller is selling into. For instance in my state a sale transacted through a marketplace such as Ebay or Amazon is designated as a sale of the marketplace facilitator. It is not considered a sale of the actual seller transacting the sale within/through the marketplace. In other words - my state has constructed their law in a manner that places the sales tax liability directly on Ebay, Amazon, etc instead of the actual marketplace seller. So if you sell into my state Ebay is going to collect the tax irrespective of which state a seller is selling from.

Chuck_A likes this.
  10. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I just read the most recent two announcements concerning state sales / use taxes, and you are correct. Sellers can no longer opt out of having sales tax collected on eBay sales.

Any buyers who are looking at my coins on eBay would do well to contact me through my website. Not only can they save eBay fees, but many of them will save sales tax as well.

I fully expect the State of NH to force eBay’s hand in this regard, but it will take some time to do so.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    Two Dogs likes this.
  11. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

This crap was done to us by politicians in our own states. I want a statement of all the taxes that were extorted from me and I will demand credit for every penny on my state taxes. When they learn that their CASH COW is actually costing them money they will revise their thinking.

12. HaleiwaHI

HaleiwaHI Active Member

I just made a purchase last week and was not charged a tax. I wonder if this is something that only certain states require? Or is the seller being charged the tax?

13. HaleiwaHI

HaleiwaHI Active Member

Good luck with this one!

14. Chuck_A

Chuck_A Well-Known Member

South Dakota vs Wayfair is responsible for this in all states that collect a sales tax and in some cases online shopping is taxed whether or not the entity that collects the tax forwards it to the state it is owed is a guess. Wa. State doesn't tax bullion and i've never been taxed by my local coin store on anything. S. Dakota also is the reason for the high interest credit card rates. I quit buying on eBay and went elsewhere, to much fraud.

15. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

Heritage does collect sales tax in states that require it. Mississippi is one of those states, so I'm probably done with Heritage.

16. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

From ebay? Great Collections doesn't charge sales tax. I guess I'll just send in a tax refund request for taxes paid on non-taxable items.

17. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I don't purchase off of eBay due to their strange tactics.

18. justafarmer

You could offer the service of allowing individuals to drop ship their Ebay purchases to you in New Hampshire, then once a month-pack their purchases up and ship'em out. For a fee of course.

19. Bobn58

Bobn58 New Member

Everyone please stop//////////// Edited: //////////////
    Bob please read the rules!!!!!!!!! Before another ding happens. Political Statements are not ALLOWED

Jim

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2019
    Bob Evancho and ToughCOINS like this.
  20. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I presume sales tax is now being collected on bills and paper currency ?

Isn't this illegal ? I mean, if I "buy" a $1,000 bill can they charge me sales tax on the premium or the entire amount ? What if I somehow bought a $1,000 bill for $1,000 ??

21. HaleiwaHI

HaleiwaHI Active Member

I can't imagine that they would assess the value of an item over what you paid for it. If you bought a $1,000 note for $1,000 then I'd reference it as getting an even swap or an exchange, not a purchase. But if a seller has to charge a tax on whatever he "sells" on value then I'd reduce my offer to reflect the tax charged.

Draft saved Draft deleted