EBay tax scam

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jeffjay, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Exactly my opinion. Ebay and the states, only care about the money. So long as both are collecting income, neither will care about what the other is doing.
    Government and big business have both gotten out of hand, and in each other's pockets.
    We, the People, don't stand a chance in the current situation.
    Only if someone with deep pockets files a lawsuit will either entity take notice.

Remember when there were some laws controlling "Free Enterprise" ?
    Then both parties started removing and reducing the laws and we were told that businesses and corporations would police themselves?

Why would anyone believe that a business given Free Rein, would rein itself in?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hookman

But until it's remitted, it can sit in an eBay bank account and collect interest. eBay will keep that interest, and you can believe that even only 1% interest on millions of dollars, will give eBay quite a haul.

4. Hookman

Not in Texas.

5. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

If my memory is correct - the South Dakota's threshold upon which the Supreme Court ruled was 200 sales transactions or $100,000.00 dollar in sales. They only ruled that this volume of business was sufficient for a State to establish substantial nexus over a business in the state. The ruling did not establish a true bright line as to the minimum threshold where substantial nexus is actually established.

6. justafarmer

I am sure most states address this issue similar to mine which requires large retailers, such as WalMart and the like, to wire transfer tax collections timely irrespective as to the actual date a return is due.

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

And possibly even more. Here in indiana the business remitting the tax money gets to keep 1% as "compensation" for doing the collecting for the state. So ebay will be able to keep 1% of all the tax money they collect for sales delivered in Indiana. I don't know if that is true in other states of not. I don't remember if we got to keep any of the tax money when we were submitting taxes to Ohio.

8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Heh. I'm assuming that means (say) collecting $75 on every $1000, wiring off $74.25 to NC, and keeping 75 cents -- not collecting $75, wiring off $65, and keeping $10.

And I wonder how far even that would go toward covering the added expense a broker like eBay is incurring as they try to comply with this new burden.

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I don't remember if it was 1% of the total, or of it was collect 7% and send them 6%. I think it was collect 7 send 6.

10. justafarmer

https://www.taxadmin.org/assets/docs/Research/Rates/vendors.pdf

Hookman likes this.
  11. Sealgair

Sealgair Member

I just did a quick scan of a couple dozen recent purchases, covering ancients from Minnesota, France, and Germany, and others), plus several more modern milled coins, including a Chinese bullion (I have always had a thing for dragons and other mythical beasties), silver Eagles, and a 2020 wedge-tailed eagle. The sellers include random private individuals, major coin dealers (Forum, GovMint, the RCM) from a mix of countries (though none from the ones infamous for harboring unreliable dens of thieves and counterfeiters). Payments went through various personal credit cards, PayPal direct and PayPal Credit, and one wire transfer. I was pleased to see that I was never charged tax on any of those. I will be checking the whole list in time, but so far, my experience has been excellent. So far, I can’t offer any guess about why my case should be different from those of you who were mistreated, but I’ll watch for a pattern if I find any.

12. coin dog

coin dog Well-Known Member

Makes me glad that I have never used ebay.

Hookman likes this.
  13. Art Wilkerson

Art Wilkerson Member

Alabama is a tax equal state. Their agreement with all was unless you are a registered resales you have to pay tax on all purchases sent into Alabama from out of state.

Hookman likes this.
  14. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Isn't 10 percent higher then any 50 STATE tax.

Hookman likes this.
  15. ddddd

ddddd Member

serafino likes this.
  16. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I think where I live it's technically 9.75%. You have both state and county in there.

17. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Pretty sure when I was last in Alabama (within the past year) it was 10%. ON GROCERIES.

18. Hookman

In Harris County, Texas, where I live, it's 8.25 %. That is State, County, and Local combined.
    In other counties, it could be less, but it won't be more.

19. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

That's Texas for you... There is 6.25 for the state and a mandated maximum of 8.25. If the city wants one and a half percent but the county's already got a 1% Levy ... Tough.

Lucky for me when I have a sales tax permit all of the jurisdictions maxed out... I had to break it out on the form but there was only one rate to collect

Hookman likes this.
  20. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

Did you file a complaint with the BBB?

21. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Draft saved Draft deleted